Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

We woke up in the night to hit the outhouse and wow, there were the stars! I hadn’t seen the Milky Way that frosted in years. I knew it was about 3-4 am by how far Jupiter had moved across the horizon. Watched as long as we could before we lost our tiredness. Climbed back in to give the critters the worlds loudest sound, the midnight sliding door closing with perfect follow through.

Final wake-up was pure whiteness out the windows as a heavy wet fog rolled in. Thankfully, nothing from the cemetery came out to hassle us and more of an honor to have been near for this short time. I remember a group of song birds and a larger something landing in the pop top fiberglass and the tinging scratches of its nails. As we came unearthed we were greeted with a neat blanket of fog and dew. Slight wind told me it wouldn’t be there long so I got a few pictures of what was left as we got set up for breakfast and going for the the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Our goal for the day was to motor around and find our second night location someplace along the river that would be fun to explore. Foster Bay has some public access and we figured that would be a good place to check out. On the way I spied an old stone foundation in the distance that ended up being two when we got on top of it to metal detect. Had a lot of fun at that site has a lot of targets and a few rattlesnakes to dodge. Upon arrival to Foster Bay it was bone dry for miles. Just the thin line of the Cheyenne river running in the distance and some of Lake Oahe you could barely make out 3-4 miles away. We did do a little rock hunting there an the shore but the rocks weren’t that interesting. If the snow pack in Montana is exceptional this will fill back up. The foliage I see in the bay says it’s been several years since water was in here though.

We felt that camping by the water would be more fun so we loaded up and backtracked. Had to drive 5o miles in a loop to get down stream a few miles to the next boat launch. When we got there it appeared to be mostly private property homes on the lake edge. Um our map is from 2009 and alot has changed around here! We just kept hunting for access and we followed the lake edge and eventually found some public game production zones…..

Just in time to get set up and enjoy an evening meal together and watch the sun go down over another amazing day busin.

That’s when we decided to check the weather forecast for the night and it called for rain. We both went boo. We knew instantly that meant we were moving our campsite because the road we came in in was steep and dirt. Dirt made of powdered shale and would turn to slippery snot at the slightest amount of moisture.

Note to self, check forecast before setting up camp. We were pretty close to Pierre and know the area well so decided to bag the boondock camping and headed toward the state campground at the Oahe powerplant tail races. With one reception bar on our phone we were able to 24 hour register and pay 22 bucks for a level spot. Bonus was a modern shower house that was pretty rad to say the least. Felt pretty civilized after that!

It did rain that night and we’re glad we moved. Treated the neighbors to one nightly sliding door closing treat to remember us by. Mark down this campground as the sites are beautiful in the mature cottonwoods, no running generators, clean and spaced out and have power and awesome hot showers. A little drive by of the power station for photo op. Recharged and gassed up we headed off for yet another day of cruisin together. Turning back west, we targeted late afternoon to visit Cathy’s parents and maybe sister too in her home town and see what trouble we could get into along the way.

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Minimum Maintenance”. Thats an interesting proposition. It takes MAJOR maintenance to run with MINIMUM maintenance. I especially like how you put full faith and trust in your safety and comfort while clicking off the miles.

I have been blessed with a “Maintenance” free summer of travels. A few thousand miles since last tune up is quite refreshing for a change. Turn-key-go sure is nice. Rock on!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

not all who wander are lost...this thread is the best example of bussing ive seen in years. its so nice to see you guys out there enjoying and using the bus, real inspiration, both in the fastidious restoring, and the final application. as an artist, i understand the path and i know it can be empty a lot of the time, and staying on it can sometimes suck. it's worth every second. enjoy!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
We have Crater Lake on our short list and roaming around that section so maybe someday well see this fair!!

I hope our paths do cross someday friend!!

Oregon is great Bus country. Thanks for allyour great posts and your nice Bus. Maybe we'll see you at the Lucky Lab some day. Smile

Just a regular guy
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Amazing thread.
Thank you.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thank's for sharing, looks like a fantastic adventure! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words and feedback. I'll do my best to round out the rest of this run.

As we headed back home west we stopped off at several abandoned farm houses. We would check them out and take pictures of the decay and wonder what life was like when they were new or why they were left and forgotten. Clearly we are empathic to old stuff and connect to it on a level most people don't. I have a bunch of photos of these places, but not many withy bus in the picture. Primitive roads and and a little nerve seemed to get us on top of some real neat places.

Cathy wanted to see her family before it got too late, but I would say "one more!" come one it's right there, and another few hours would zip by. No time better than right now. Old Brown Church offered a nice spot to rest while we decided where to head off next zig zagging around the graveled numbered county roads.

We had lots of time to talk and visit uninterrupted. Was so nice. Cathy says that after about a day something washes over me and I'm a whole different guy. That I can be funny even! I said, well I'm sure, it's not easy being a dad, husband, boss and all the responsibilities that strangle up my mind sometimes. She's never been around to change me just remind me. Remind me what the focus is or what I'm allowing it to be on. We reminisced about the year so far and can see our kids growing up and our responsibilities getting a little smaller and what we want to put in its place. More than needed and perfect for an extended date with my gal.

Simple stuff too. I mentioned that back in the day even though I couldn't catch the band it was just enough to know the Dead was out there someplace playing. That they changed me long ago struck with some venom with no cure and we live this way everyday because of it. Seeing live shows is just the icing on the cake. Something changed in the world in '95 when Jerry died, we lost something, some piece of that lives on in our hearts and guides our behavior. I'm pretty floored we carry on in '22 and even get out now and then exploring free as a bird with my gal in the bus of my dreams.

We were thinking what trip it was that made us even on all the work, time and money getting to get her road worthy. Sure, even the maiden voyage can feel that way, but this it what we are calling a bonus. Def worth it taking the time on all the little things and the ones still to come and owing it all to Brian and the engine he built us. The visit with Parents was awesome and we blasted home in the dark and made it back home to reunite with the kids and dogs around 10pm. Home sweet home.

The next day we still had open, so we took all day to empty, clean and detail the bus. The rear engine compartment wasn't too bad, just a thin layer if dust on everything. I pulled the air filters and cleaned those up and left them to dry while I worked.

I use a diluted Simple Green spray on the underside of the engine and transaxle, then hit it with strategic pulses of my power washer wand. It's never going to get that cake built up on it again on my watch. I recharged the filters and bagged them then sprayed out the inside of the engine compartment and got after everything with a rag to dry it. Good way to inspect it. Baked the pop top canvas in the sun to make sure it was dryer than the morning we rolled it up last. I had felt my throttle pedal acting a little sticky on my way home so I lubed up the carburetor linkage and it was butter again. That's about it! Gassed up and its ready to go again!

Of coarse Tippy wanted to hang out and we got a few cool pics together with it clean before getting it put away for the night.

Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

"Simple stuff too. I mentioned that back in the day even though I couldn't catch the band it was just enough to know the Dead was out there someplace playing. That they changed me long ago struck with some venom with no cure and we live this way everyday because of it. Seeing live shows is just the icing on the cake. Something changed in the world in '95 when Jerry died, we lost something, some piece of that lives on in our hearts and guides our behavior."

That's a nice thought about Garcia and the Grateful Dead ~ I couldn't agree more.
400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Can I be totally honest, I grew up outside of the USA and I'm younger than the generation of people who grew up listening to the Grateful Dead live, with that said, I don't think I have ever heard one of their songs - maybe I did without even knowing who they were.

Now what would you recommend someone like me listen to, in order to get acclimated and possibly start a journey into their repertoire?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Live/Dead 1969? Is where I would start, but there are four or five others , without starting a Dead Forum Fight. Jerry wouldn’t like that.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

Now what would you recommend someone like me listen to, in order to get acclimated and possibly start a journey into their repertoire?

Europe '72
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Cornell. 5/8/77

the only thing thats missing is Eyes

sorry, couldnt resist playing along

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Can I be totally honest, I grew up outside of the USA and I'm younger than the generation of people who grew up listening to the Grateful Dead live, with that said, I don't think I have ever heard one of their songs - maybe I did without even knowing who they were.

My preference of The Dead are the years with Brent Mydland (keyboards) 1980 - 1990

YouTube has many video and audio of full shows available

Here's a YouTube from 9/30/89 ~ Shoreline Amphitheater ~ Mountain View, CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uzJpmS4NWw
400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Thank you all.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Still having a blast with this bus and last weekend was the Black Hills area SoDak VW Club fall meet up and run. We basically pick a day and meet up and cruise together to someplace cool to eat and disband from there. Cathy is the main organizer getting everyone’s ideas and building a route then blasting it on the group’s Facebook page. This time we decided to meet at the DMV and head south to the town of Pringle to try out their local diner called the Hitch Rail Bar. About a 90 mile loop.

We had a nice showing this time and actually added three new rides and several new faces. Everyone is super busy and it’s great to see folks peal off to go for a ride anyway. The conditions were perfect! We were all so stoked to see each other we visited a good hour before setting off.

Pretty fun to kill a day enjoying our rides talking VW with your friends and eating your way through the run. We left Pringle with a smaller group, but still able to crash a pie joint in Custer.

I heard from everyone several times that this makes me want to work on my ride even more! I’m def motivated by this interaction myself to keep making the bus tighter more functional.

And a win with the kids! We all had a great time and looking forward to getting out like this as much as possible this fall season as we prep for winter.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Nice.

Get out and camp with the kids before they get too big!
Ours have to sleep in a tent because they’re bigger than we are now.

I’m always a big fan of anything Pigpen.
There was a band that played without Pig, and called itself the Grateful Dead but…
Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Nice.

Get out and camp with the kids before they get too big!
Ours have to sleep in a tent because they’re bigger than we are now.

I’m always a big fan of anything Pigpen.
There was a band that played without Pig, and called itself the Grateful Dead but…
Razz

Thanks Clatter,
I have an observation theory about peoples general perception and acceptance of new band members of the Dead over the decades. I liken it to couple with several childeren. When one parent, let’s say dad passes away young, the kids, based on their ages, can all feel differently about any new guys coming around. The oldest children remember dad the most and have tons of memories and seeing new guy around is just almost impossible to accept. As if acceptance would nullify an oath of commitment. The youngest kids that don’t have many if any memories of dad are much easier to accept the “new guy” and may even come to calling him dad at some point. Personally, I’m in the middle. Although I have fond memories of Jerry, I’m simultaneously happy someone came along who can offer mom companionship and accompany to the Grand Canyon one more time.

But I digress, I took you up on your suggestion Clatter, and see the value in it. G was game to accompany me to the local rock beds and an overnight in the bus. Without much planning, we blasted off just the two of us. The goal basically to just get off together for some one on one, look around and maybe have a lesson or two on the manual shifting.

There is some free camping at the French Creek agate beds and we picked a spot to park and went off to hike around and look at rocks and eventually metal detect an old frontier stable foundation in the grass I stumbled across years ago. We happened to Bump into a buddy with his son who was tending a nice campfire and spent some time hanging there too.

Just a bunch of joking and messing around, we went for an evening hunt after dinner and walked back in the dark. Got super cold at night, we used all our gear. Was a full moon and the coyotes partied all night! Not to mention the raccoons, cats and whatever ransacked the site while we slept.

We packed up and went for one more hike till around noon before we had to come back to town. We had tried G driving the bus the day before, where he stalled it about 10 times and got frustrated. We got her to connect once with my hand on his gas pedal foot, but he said that didn’t count. On the next day, with a resigned attempt to make ‘ol dad happy, I assured him at the front of the bus that there are no wrong outcomes and it’s just time to try again. Of coarse, this time he got it in drive from stop in first gear. We stopped and successfully repeated the process. Simply cruising on the long gravel road in 1st and 2nd gear was a real joy and we happily locked in the gain. Satisfied with our time together we’re hoping to build on the experience in the upcoming days. I see some more bus interest building with this guy! Grateful it happened at all!

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Looks like fun! My 2 year old and I looked at your post and pics. (He often asks to "look at buses" so The Samba is my go to.)

I can't wait to be able to do more and more like that with him. Glad your kiddo is getting interested.

I taught several foster sons to drive stick shift using the techniques outlined by the Car Talk guys. https://www.cartalk.com/content/learn-drive-stick-0

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Cathy and I got home from a quick lap in the Westy to Boulder Colorado and back for the Dead and Co shows. A quick 4 day escape and check out/check in with each other to remind us what to keep the focus on in our lives and relationships.

Tippy did her usual sandbag routine when she finds out she’s not going. Snuck out and stowawayed several times while we loaded up Laughing

A bit ago, My buddy Chad was telling me that when he takes his bus on a road trip he always leaves town nice and easy and babies his rig, but on the return trip he hammers down anxious to return home. That he said since he always gets home fine, he’s gonna letting it rip out the gate from now on, babying her up front doesn’t seem to make a difference! I decided to adopt this strategy myself. I’ve realized the my bus’s highway sweet spot is around 72-75 mph keeps my head temps at 350. My remote oils cooler keeps my oil below 220.

For camping, we returned this year to Lake Stanley in Westminster just a 15 min ride to Boulder. Primitive sites although level, spread out and quiet. Front range always beautiful.

First night we got early to get down to the venue and the Shakedown Street vendor gathering. One of our favorite places to sell our tie dyes and get into the spirit of the event. Arrived to total chaos and immediate gridlock in the parking lot. Couldn’t unload and move if we wanted to. I figured nobody was gonna mess with the bus, maybe she took a few scratches, idk, people agreed it added to the ambiance

Was a blast of a sale, we opted to forgo the first night of shows and have a nice meal dining out and organize. Dang, we were bushed from loading in and selling all day. Came back to a full moon and peaceful evening.

The next day was even better! Got a ton of our work on a lot of people, tore down the booth and ran off to the second night of music and jumped around with everybody until it hurt to walk. Around 12am, arrived back at the campground to see another bus in the site right next to us! Will make friends with them in the morn!

Was a pair of ladies with their own camper bus rigs, a dodge van build and a 71 bay. Both supper nice ladies and excited to be at the shows. We had a lot to talk about. We had breakfast together and got some dyes onto them.

She’s had her bus over 30 years and loved listening to her stories. We had one more show to attend and we were going to be their ride back to the campground the show. Wow, what a final show!

After the show we met up and blasted back off to the lake site. 71 bay offered to pay for the ride, but of coarse we declined, she said it would be worth paying, never been in a bus that went over 60 mph before! Laughing We had one more morning to hang and swap numbers and final goodbyes. Only buses in the campground and we somehow paired them up booking online? Pretty cool

Trip home was without event. Waited out a rain and wind cell in Wyoming and shut her off at home without any issues. I’m really beyond grateful for the build Brian @type E Motorsports, we wouldn’t have repeated trips like this without his expertise. I’ve never trusted a home build like this before and with proper scheduled maintenance, I’m of the opinion we will have countless more ahead.

I’ve been thinking that reliving the old times like this felt like I had one foot in the past, but this trip showed me I’m just happy and grateful to still be living this way after all these years. Lucky
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

awesome! always look forward to reading your travel stories. We did similar on the East coast. Dead and Co at SPAC.

Parked in the Shakedown lot. The old days of tailgate shakedown where we sold pasta out of the old tour bus have really changed. It looked more like a flea market this time.

Then we went to Tedeschi Trucks in NH. Took Emily with us for her first time seeing them live. They never dissapoint and this show was no exception. Susan was ripping since her family is local to Mass/NH. She shreaded leads on several songs, and Derek just layed back and supported. It was awesome!

The venue lets you camp in the parking lot, so we set up the “trippy” lights and well, you know…

I’ve been thinking that reliving the old times like this felt like I had one foot in the past, but this trip showed me I’m just happy and grateful to still be living this way after all these years. Lucky

Brilliant!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: