Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ? Reply with quote

I have seen a few pics and some discussions on reinforcing a type 1 transaxle but can’t seem to find anything now. One , someone had made steel plates to that helped hold the side covers, they were held together with ( i think ) 4 long bolts outside and going across the trans. Another was about drilling and bolting all the way through a couple of the side cover bolt holes.
I just thought it might be something interesting to bring up and see what tips and tricks there might be out there?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ? Reply with quote

Find anything written by Gears on here about building transaxles or buy a Albins, Weddle, or Weddle MD and be done with it.
Call Dave Folts and ask him about the parts he makes and sells.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ? Reply with quote

So what are the plans for this Type 1 trans? Is it swing axle or IRS?

MY Hi Jumper got raced with a trans built by Jim Sheehan of Off Road Outfitters back in the 80s. He installed what he called a girdle. That was in addition to steel side plates with 4 of the side plate studs removed and the holes drilled clear through the case with 3/8" grade 8 studs holding 1/2" external steel plates with a 5th stud above the diff housing. Never broke another ring & pinion with that setup.

Of course, the trans had all of the other internal tricks to beef it up and cost me near 2K 40 years ago.

I still have a trans with that girdle out back that I could probably take pictures of to share on here if you want.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ? Reply with quote

Yeh id love to see that girdle , and that was actually the word i was looking for but my brain wasn’t functioning that day….
I have a pic of a trans with a girdle, I’m pretty sure its posted here on the samba somewhere.
As far as what I’m doing, i doubt ill go into doing much but i broke something in the trans in my Baja and it got me thinking about shit while i had it out. It’s a large nut RGB S/A and from visual external inspection, the right side cover is broke.
I do have a second trans so ill probably just throw it in and go from there
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle bracing / reinforcements ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: