Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1966 Beetle rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

The big news this week is I replaced the battery in the VW. It has been cranking slower and slower for about a month now. The battery in it was the original one I put in when I rebuilt the car and had a date of July 2011 on it. Definitely got my money's worth out of that SuperStart. It actually tested bad this March when I first got the car out; a bit over 100 cranking amps when it's supposed to have 400, but it still spun over the starter just fine. Thats what you get running a 6volt starter on 12 volts though. Now it spins really fast again the engine fires almost immediately. Nice. The new battery is a group 42 just like the old one but is shaped a bit differently, so I had to do some cutting and bending on the battery mount to secure it. The passenger front corner of the headliner has been loose for a bit now, so I took a look at it. There is just not enough material to fold it around the little tabs to secure it properly. Being vinyl, I doubt it shrunk. I had several of those little really strong "rare earth" magnets, so I put 2 of them on the loose corner and it's all good again. Well, good enough. Nothing else too remarkable. Oil was down about an 1/8th of a quart so I topped it off. Brake fluid level is still holding good. Expenses this week were $107.71 for the new Napa Legend group 42 battery and one tank of gas for $31.61.

Beginning odometer 8-8: 61215
Ending odometer 8-14: 61527
Total mileage this week: 312
Expenses this week: $139.32

Total mileage: 6,788
Total expenses: $1300.35

New battery. I messed up when I originally replaced the floor pan and welded the fixed hold-down tab to the back and the screw down part in the front, so I have to remove the front cross brace for the back seat to take it out. Not a big deal though. The positive terminal cover on the new battery is crap. The old one had a nice plastic piece with 4 legs that snapped over the terminal but the new one is just this flimsy folded plastic thing. Looks like it'll break after a few battery removals, which I do each fall when I put the car in storage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the interior as of today. I made the ashtray cupholder a few years ago out of a hunk of 2x4 with a piece of an old license plate screwed to the bottom of it. That was the best addition I've made to the car. Works great. The black button to the right of the cupholder is for the electric washer pump that I installed shortly after moving to Wisconsin. The glove box release button fell apart a few months after I started driving the car in 2012. I have a whittled down stick in the driver's door pocket that fits in the hole and releases the latch. It's worked fine for 10 years now. The roller gas pedal was a previous owner's solution after the pedal pivot on the floor broke. I just left it alone because it works. The TMI interior kit has withstood almost 90k miles of use and is still in decent shape. The driver's front seat padding has been patched and repaired a couple of times though. I added a 1" thick piece of foam over the existing pad a couple years ago as it was getting squashed and uncomfortable.

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Always enjoy your updates - please keep them coming.

Thanks,

J
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

John P wrote:
Always enjoy your updates - please keep them coming.

Thanks,

J

Thank you. I will.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

This week came and went with nothing too remarkable as far as the VW goes. It did backfire this evening when I started it before leaving my parents' house to go home. That's very unusual for this car. It's been idling a bit rough when cold and there seems to be more noise coming from the left side of the engine until it warms up. It's still running great otherwise though. Hopefully it just needs a valve adjustment which it will get tomorrow morning. It's about 200 miles early for the 3000-mile oil change and maintenance but I'm doing it anyway since it fits into my work schedule best that way. Only expense this week was one tank of gas for $31.60.

Beginning odometer 8-15: 61527
Ending odometer 8-21: 61805
Total mileage this week: 278
Expenses this week: $31.60

Total mileage: 7,066
Total expenses: $1331.95

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

The big news for the week is today the VW crossed 90,000 miles (62142 on the odometer) since the rebuild! Not bad for an engine built in a shed. Overall this car has exceeded any expectations I had for it, which weren't any really. I've had it on the road for a bit over 10 years now, and it's been very reliable. Sure it's had problems here and there as well as a few roadside fixes to get it up and running again after a breakdown. But aside from when I originally had it towed home and pulling it behind my van when I moved from Texas to New Hampshire, it's never been on a trailer. I'm proud of the car and am still pulling for 100k without any engine work. This week it got the 3000-mile valve adjustment, point gap/timing adjustment and an oil change. The was one tiny sliver of metal on the sump plate when I dropped it, like a piece of glitter, but I'm not too worried. I also rotated the tires and changed the oil in the air filter. Today I washed and waxed it in honor of it's mileage accomplishment. Then it rained. Oh well. Other than that it was just the usual, though I did go for a decent drive today just because I wanted to push the car past 90k. Expenses this week were 3 quarts of 10w40 oil for $3.99 each, a sump plate gasket set for $2.99, and two tanks of gas for a total of $59.02.

Beginning odometer 8-22: 61805
Ending odometer 8-28: 62150
Total mileage this week: 345
Expenses this week: $73.98

Total mileage: 7,411
Total expenses: $1405.93

Here's a boring picture of the car in my garage this evening. It's a bit shinier after waxing it but the solid white walls in the garage don't give off much reflection.

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Sunday slipped away before I got around to posting the weekly update so here it is. On Tuesday I had off work and it was a nice day, so I drove the VW out to Lake Michigan again to go to the beach. The wind was blowing from the west and it was blocked by the dunes and trees, so the water at the shore was calm. That made for some terrific stone skipping but also led to an obnoxious amount of biting flies. I had to keep moving as loafing on the beach quickly devolved into being swarmed and bitten by flies. That was kind of a bummer, and consequently I didn't stay as long as I had originally planned. Other than that, it was just going to work and back home again. The only expense this week was one tank of gas for $26.48.

Beginning odometer 8-22: 62150
Ending odometer 9-4: 62501
Total mileage this week: 351
Expenses this week: $26.48

Total mileage: 7,762
Total expenses: $1432.41

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

I was off on Monday, and it was a nice day, so I drove down across the Illinois border to go walking at Glacial Park. The goldenrod is in full bloom and the various asters are starting to flower as well. I went for a drive in the VW yesterday morning. The soy and corn fields west of here are changing from green to yellow and in a month or so they'll start harvesting them. Here and there a few trees are starting to turn. I took off work the first two weeks of October and plan on driving the VW up to Minnesota to spend a few days in the area along Lake Superior. The car's speedometer needle has been getting kind of bouncy at lower speeds, so I lubricated the cable and the drive end on the speedometer where the cable goes into it. I didn't have the ambition to take it apart to lubricate inside though. It's a little smoother now. I also bought a case of 12 quarts of 10W40 oil. Expenses this week were two tanks of gas for a total of $58.46 and the case of oil for $74.10.

Beginning odometer 9-5: 62501
Ending odometer 9-11: 62949
Total mileage this week: 448
Expenses this week: $132.56

Total mileage: 8,210
Total expenses: $1564.97

Here's a picture from my drive yesterday morning. This is the same road that the painted rock from an earlier post is along. The soy field in the background is starting to turn yellow. There were 4 Sandhill Cranes right along the road here, but they flew off when I got out to take the picture.

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Nothing much exciting with the VW this week. It just keeps on going. This morning I replaced all the rear control arms on my Grand Marquis. I've never really paid much attention to it, but that car has a very complicated rear suspension. There's an upper and lower control arm on each side and then something called a Watts Link that is a long Z shaped thing with two arms that bolts to the top of the diff and then each arm bolts to the frame. The rear end used to squirm around when I hit a bump while turning and replacing all that stuff cured it. Sorry, none of that was VW related, but that was this week's only project. This coming Sunday there is a Volkswagen show down across the border in Illinois that I'll be going down to. I put the '66 in the show pretty much every year that I've lived here. It's the only car show it goes to. VW expenses for the week were two tanks of gas for a total of $53.56.

Beginning odometer 9-12: 62949
Ending odometer 9-118: 63266
Total mileage this week: 317
Expenses this week: $53.56

Total mileage: 8,527
Total expenses: $1618.53

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Been watching this thread for a little while. I also have a 66, but mine has been off the road since the mid 80's and is under resurrection.

Your post about the rear suspension on a US built land yacht made me chuckle. I recall as a kid, riding in our neighbor's early 80's Ford/Merc/Lincoln barge and having that exact feeling. The car wasn't very old then, and we borrowed it for a family trip from MN to Yellowstone one summer because our car didn't have A/C. I absolutely hated riding in the back seat for those two thousand miles, jiggling all the way.

Keep up the posts, we are enjoying it.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Been watching this thread for a little while. I also have a 66, but mine has been off the road since the mid 80's and is under resurrection.

Your post about the rear suspension on a US built land yacht made me chuckle. I recall as a kid, riding in our neighbor's early 80's Ford/Merc/Lincoln barge and having that exact feeling. The car wasn't very old then, and we borrowed it for a family trip from MN to Yellowstone one summer because our car didn't have A/C. I absolutely hated riding in the back seat for those two thousand miles, jiggling all the way.

Keep up the posts, we are enjoying it.

Thanks for following along. My '66 also spent a couple of decades off the road. It was last registered in '90 before I got it in 2010. My Mercury is an '05, so it's not a proper classic land yacht. It's my winter car for when I put the VW away. I had a 1966 Oldsmobile 98 four door sedan for about 10 years before the Beetle and that was a true barge. It was like driving your living room couch down the highway. Handling was almost an afterthought but it sure was smooth. It had a 425 V8 which was good for about 10-11 mpg on average. I liked that car but I'm much happier with the VW.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Today I drove the VW down to Crystal Lake, IL for the NIVA VW Harvest show. Every other year I've been to this show, it's been hot and sunny but not this time. It was chilly and cloudy with a couple of brief sprinkles of rain early on. I would guess there were probably 120-150 cars there. Lots of Beetles of course, probably close to half the entries. I talked to a few other owners for a bit about their cars. Lots of nice VW's. I bought a couple of things from the swap meet. First was a pair of the little plastic spacer things that go behind the window cranks because one of mine is cracked and a spare is good to have. Those set me back $2. I also found a pretty darn nice passenger vent window assembly for $5. The lower hinge on mine is broken and there's a lot of slop in it. The new one has the later style round black plastic latch knob, but for this car, I really don't care. The drive home was straight into a strong and gusty headwind, which wasn't much fun. As usual the VW did great on the roughly 150-mile round trip. In addition to the swap meet purchases, this week I filled up one full tank of gas and a top off this morning before heading to IL for a total of $48.60, and the show entry cost $15.

Beginning odometer 9-19: 63266
Ending odometer 9-25: 63706
Total mileage this week: 440
Expenses this week: $70.60

Total mileage: 8,967
Total expenses: $1689.13

Here are some pictures from the show.

A line of early class (pre-1968) Beetles with my '66 in the middle. The teal Beetle to the right of mine was a back-dated later model that snuck into the lineup.

This '64 was one of my favorites of the show. Super correct restoration to a very high standard. Talked to the owner a bit and found out it was restored by Lenny Kopp's shop a while back, so that explains it. I don't think I'd want a car this nice though because I'd stress about every little thing.

Another very nice '64.

This '63 convertible has always been a favorite of mine. I think it's been in the owner's family since new.

This 23-window bus was incredible with a very nice original interior. I think it was a '63 but I can't remember, and I don't know much at all about busses.

Here's a couple of older water-cooled cars that caught my eye. I grew up around and spent my early driving years with water-cooled VW's so the nostalgia element is there. We had a '78 Dasher 2-door, an '87 Jetta that I learned to drive in, and a '91 Jetta that replaced it when I was T-boned by an Explorer that ran a stoplight. I haven't had one in almost 20 years, and around here '92 and back water-cooled stuff is rarer than air-cooled, so I don't see getting back into them again.

I think this Quantum 2-door was an '83 if I remember correctly. I caught the roofline out of the corner of my eye while walking down another row and thought it was a Dasher originally. Talked to the owner a bit and it turns out the 2-door fastback was only made for the first couple of model years and is actually really rare. I remember seeing sedans and the odd wagon years back, but never a 2-door.

This '92 Polo came from Europe and had just over 80k original kilometers on it. This is one I won't likely see another of.

Last edited by supercub on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Vacation has arrived. I'm off work through October 16. Tomorrow I'm heading out for 4 days of camping and hiking at a few Wisconsin State Parks. I'm heading to far western Wisconsin along the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers. Should be about 700 miles round trip. I removed the passenger and rear seats in the VW, dusted off the old sleeping platform, and converted the car into a tiny camper. I built the platform in 2015 from old wood scraps that were stacked in the rafters of my parent's garage and headed out on a trip around the central Great Plains, living out of the car for two weeks. I haven't slept in the car since. I'm 6'2" so it's a bit snug, but with my pillow in the rear storage cubby area and my feet just under the dashboard, it works. I spent this morning rounding up most of my camping stuff and am ready to head out tomorrow morning. Other than my quick camper conversion on the VW I checked and adjusted the timing, checked the tire pressure, filled up the windshield washer fluid, and checked the oil level. I topped off the tank before parking the car this evening. Total expenses this week were one full tank of gas and the top off today for a total of $57.30.

Beginning odometer 9-26: 63706
Ending odometer 10-2: 63964
Total mileage this week: 258
Expenses this week: $57.30

Total mileage: 9,225
Total expenses: $1746.43

Here are a couple of pictures with the sleeping platform in the VW. The narrow rug rolled up at the back gets rolled out over the wood, and then a foam sleeping pad goes down. I sleep on that in my sleeping bag. My hiking boots and four 1-gallon jugs of water fit under the platform. Behind the drivers seat I have a storage bin with my food, camp stove, and utensils. That bin is stacked on top of my spare parts and tools. Other odds and ends go wherever they fit. It's pretty decent.

Last edited by supercub on Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

I got back from my trip to the Mississippi River yesterday. It was a great time, and the VW didn't miss a beat in the roughly 600 miles I travelled. I spent most of my time hiking in the bluffs that border the river at Wyalusing State Park, Effigy Mounds National Monument, and Perrot State Park. Camped in the VW for three nights. I saw several bald eagles and heard many more. Also saw lots of red headed woodpeckers which are usually abundant in the forests along this stretch of the river but not many other places in the state. One night I saw 4 shooting stars looking up through the back window of the VW while in my sleeping bag. Heard coyotes howling in the hills at night. I was treated to 2 beautiful sunrises, one with the Wisconsin and Mississippi River valleys fogged in while I sat on the bluffs above the fog. The fog slowly flowed through the valley and piled up against the bluffs on the Iowa side of the river. I hadn't been camping for over 5 years and it was nice to do it again. I only had to add about 1/8 of a quart of oil on the return drive because I wanted it full for the high-speed stretch through the Madison area.

In a small cave at Wyalusing State Park.

First campsite. Wyalusing State Park. I spent two nights here.

Foggy morning at Wyalusing. The fog slowly rolled down the Wisconsin River valley at the right and mixed in with the fog on the Mississippi River at the left. It piled against and sometimes over the Iowa bluffs in the distance.

The VW along the Mississippi River in Iowa at the southern unit of Effigy Mounds. There were some picnic tables on the concrete pad in the foreground that I ate lunch at.

A view from Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa. The central bluffs in the distance are part of Wyalusing.

The sleeping arrangement in the VW. Not the most spacious but it actually works pretty well.

Sunrise over the Wisconsin River valley at Wyalusing.

Driving north along State Highway 35 toward Perrot State Park. This was a beautiful stretch of road. You can see the bluffs on one side and the river out the other.

Along the Mississippi at Perot State Park. The hills on the other side of the river are Minnesota.

Looking south on Brady's Bluff at Perrot.

The view of Brady's Bluff from Perrot Ridge. Shortly after I took this picture a flock of about 100 pelicans came flying over the river.

A backwater marsh along the river. Trempealeau Mountain is on the right and the hills beyond are Minnesota.

Fall color at Perrot State Park.

My campsite at Perrot State Park. Stayed here one night.

Driving back home along State Highway 35.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Careful, city folks are gonna start thinking that the MN/IA/WI border area is nicer than just a flyover spot.

Nothing to see here, move along.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Careful, city folks are gonna start thinking that the MN/IA/WI border area is nicer than just a flyover spot.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Haha true, true. Most people who live around here, city people included, know all about the upper Mississippi River valley. It's a very popular area. I can only hope there aren't any Instagram vanlife types snooping in on my little thread here. I first saw the area almost 10 years ago crossing the Mississippi from WI into Dubuque, IA while headed elsewhere. I remember being quite taken and surprised with how pretty it was. I've since gone out there quite a lot.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

The big news this week was a very nice trip out to the Mississippi River for four days and three nights of camping and hiking in two Wisconsin state parks and Effigy Mounds in Iowa. I made a post about that trip above with pictures for those interested. Since I returned on Thursday afternoon, I've done a few things to the VW. I rebuilt the carburetor because the accelerator pump was starting to get weak. Noticed a bit of a lag on acceleration on the return leg of the trip so I took it apart at home and as expected the pump diaphragm was getting stiff and dried out. All good now. This afternoon I built a sturdier spare parts box for under the rear seat. With the camping setup, that parts box doubles as a prop for the food/camp stove bin and the old cardboard one was squashed on the first day. I made the new one from much sturdier cedar planks that were left over from when my parents had the deck on the house redone. That shouldn't get crushed. I ordered another carburetor rebuild kit and a steering column bearing from Wolfsburg West yesterday. I always like to have a spare carb kit around and there has been a fair amount of creaking/rumbling noises from behind the steering wheel recently. I overlooked that bearing when I originally redid the car and I'm sure its been bone dry for years if not decades. I'm hoping the existing stuff is still in good enough shape to just clean, grease, and reuse, but I'll have a replacement just in case. I'm adding that bearing to my growing list of deferred maintenance tasks that will be taken care of next spring before I start driving the VW again. I probably have a month at most left of driving the car for this year and nothing it needs is dire. Cost for the bearing and carb kit with shipping came to $73.34 and three tanks of gas added up to $98.25.

After adding up this week's totals, I discovered I've put just over 10,000 mostly trouble-free miles on the VW this year. It's a good car.

Beginning odometer 10-3: 63964
Ending odometer 10-9: 64752
Total mileage this week: 788
Expenses this week: $171.99

Total mileage: 10,013
Total expenses: $1918.42
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

This week was my second and last week of vacation. I took a couple of nice day trips. First was to Gibraltar Rock and Parfrey's Glen which I also went to back in late May. There are a lot of maples and a few birches at both of those places and the reds, oranges, and yellows of the leaves were very pretty. On top of Gibraltar Rock there is a little rock cove with a juniper root growing just so, which makes a perfect seat and backrest for reclining. The juniper tree shades the spot nicely and there was a crisp breeze from the northwest. The view overlooks some rolling farmland interspersed with forested hills and part of Lake Wisconsin can be seen as well. I relaxed there for quite a while watching the vultures ride the thermals along the edge of the cliff.

Parfrey's Glen is fun because there's no real trail for the last quarter of the way in and you have to rock hop your way through a little stream that flows from the glen. There are a few big boulders at the end, and after a little climbing around on them, one is tilted at a perfect angle with a shallow groove to sit in. I sat there and looked up at the sunlight filtering through the trees as they blew in the wind above me. Yellow leaves blew off the trees and gradually floated down into the glen, some landing on the rocks and some in the stream which carried them bobbing and swirling away. The VW did great the whole time.

I went to Horicon Marsh early one morning. I like to get there just as the sun is coming up to see the Sandhill Cranes fly out. There were lots of flocks of cranes that morning. I saw several trumpeter swans, a couple groups of wood ducks, a lone pelican, cormorants, and of course lots of canadian geese. I also saw a bald eagle flying low back and forth over the marsh looking for fish. I watched it for a while hoping to see it swoop down and grab one, but it did not and eventually flew off to a far away tree at the edge of the marsh. After a few hours at the marsh, I went to Ledge Park which is just a couple of miles away. It is a large rock outcrop which is part of the Niagara Escarpment. The trail along the ledge provides some really nice views overlooking Horicon Marsh.

So, VW-wise I did an oil change, valve adjustment, filed and adjusted the points, and set the timing. One of the valve cover gaskets tore when I removed the cover, so I replaced it. I used my last sump plate gasket set. The time for putting the car away is closing in. I'm going to run it until its next oil change in about 1,100 miles, until they call for measurable snow in the forecast, or until I just get the urge for a functioning heater as the temperature drops. I'm thinking 3 more weeks tops. Expenses this week were three tanks of gas for a total of $96 even. Weird. I already had the oil, the oil sump gasket, and the valve cover gasket, so I didn't include them in the total.

They are calling for a bit of snow tomorrow afternoon, so I swapped the VW for the Mercury Grand Marquis. Typically the county doesn't salt this early, but they may spray that brine junk on the bridges, and I don't want to chance it. I completely forgot to look at the odometer when I put the VW at my parents' house, so no mileage update for tonight. I'll get it in a couple days.

Beginning odometer 10-10: 64752
Ending odometer 10-16: more than 64752
Total mileage this week: don't know
Expenses this week: $96.00

Total mileage: more than 10,013
Total expenses: $2014.42

Last edited by supercub on Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

Had a quick look at Palfrey's Glen. Wow, what a stunning place. So much beauty in the Southern Wisconsin.

Nice write up on your travels. Almost feels like being there.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Had a quick look at Palfrey's Glen. Wow, what a stunning place. So much beauty in the Southern Wisconsin.

Nice write up on your travels. Almost feels like being there.

Wisconsin has a surprising amount of really pretty and interesting places. I didn't expect it at all when I first moved here six years ago. Glad you are enjoying my travel posts. I really like spending time in the outdoors. This may be sacrilege on here, but as I've grown a bit older, I find I'm more interested in the natural world than VW's.
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 1966 Beetle rebuild Reply with quote

I always enjoy your trip reports - both the writing and photography - with thanks for sharing.

Love your in-car camping set-up. It reminds me of Rodrigo's set-up here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/RodrigoKaspary

Enjoy your remaining drives until the salt arrives.

J
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: