Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shiftrod hanger plate (:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksdough6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

pulled out shift rod out of car first of all then moved on to drilling spot welds

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after all spot welds have been drilled out

pushed the shiftrod hanger plate down where it just fell into the tunnel, then you just run some wire through the back where the opening to the shift coupler is at and fish it out to get the new shift plate in you just run the wire from the shifter hole to the back where the shift coupler hole is at and fish it through

then bolt it up and try to macth the holes to the little bumps on the new shift rod hanger plate make sure you hit it with a wire wheel to clean all the pain where your going to weld
weld the plate to the tunnel hit the tunnel with a flap disk and then paint and put all back together

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to fish the old and new hangers right through the shifter hole. Going in through the back like that you run a big risk of it getting wedged up on other components in the tunnel.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up and pictures. Cool

For years of use without the bushing the brackets hole can get wallowed out from the metal to metal contact from the shift rod... the bushing will no longer fit... time for a new bracket! An often overlooked piece in the smooth shifter puzzle!

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
volksdough6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way i tried fishing it out through the shifter hole and no dice i even tried the new one and same thing
daveydad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

Instead of the 6 spot welds, how about using pop rivets and sanding down them down a little?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

daveydad wrote:
Instead of the 6 spot welds, how about using pop rivets and sanding down them down a little?

How about two rivets and gently driving the car to the local muffler shop and get the carrier plate properly welded in place?

Something like this likely would cast you a 6pack or $15.00.

Half assing the shifter plate installation, is just asking for trouble in the nearer future. Than getting it correct and never thinking about it again, for about 45-50 years.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

daveydad wrote:

This would be a good excuse to get a welder.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

daveydad wrote:

You would have to grind them flush, because the lockout plate and bracket need to slide smoothly and without any impingement whatsoever to enable precise incremental adjustments to avoid shift selector problems. Clamping the whole works together with just the 8mm screws won't work for the same reason, the bushing bracket in the tunnel must be FIXED in place while adjusting the shift lever bracket.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
daveydad wrote:

You would have to grind them flush, because the lockout plate and bracket need to slide smoothly and without any impingement whatsoever to enable precise incremental adjustments to avoid shift selector problems. Clamping the whole works together with just the 8mm screws won't work for the same reason, the bushing bracket in the tunnel must be FIXED in place while adjusting the shift lever bracket.

My shifter bracket is just held in with the two bolts. Of course my welder broke when I was doing the repair. So I just put it together with the bolts temporarily. That was quite a few years ago. One day I might weld it in, but it works fine how it is.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
My shifter bracket is just held in with the two bolts. Of course my welder broke when I was doing the repair. So I just put it together with the bolts temporarily. That was quite a few years ago. One day I might weld it in, but it works fine how it is.

This is good to know, we need more field case studies like this where people break from the norms and try different things so we can learn what works and what doesn't.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

This is good to know, we need more field case studies like this where people break from the norms and try different things so we can learn what works and what doesn't.

It was a bit fiddly getting it all together this way, but it worked.
daveydad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

I managed to get mine hooked up with just the two 13mm bolts. I know my bushing is toast. Shift pretty well except for downshifting to 2nd always seem to hit reverse.... so maybe I need to move the whole shifter over to the driver's side a little more? Yes, bushing will be replaced soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

daveydad wrote:
I managed to get mine hooked up with just the two 13mm bolts. I know my bushing is toast. Shift pretty well except for downshifting to 2nd always seem to hit reverse.... so maybe I need to move the whole shifter over to the driver's side a little more? Yes, bushing will be replaced soon!

Shocked To hold the shifter and bracket on?

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiftrod hanger plate (: Reply with quote

Your shift plate may be installed wrong... or missing!

Cusser wrote:
D and P are driver and passenger side for driver on left, like in USA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: