Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fold out bed in house?!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

So........
color me silly but I have 90 GL with the full width rear seat that folds out to a bed and it has the mattress over the engine area.

Because my Van is a work Van and runs daily at about 5,000 lbs with tools and supplies I have removed the rear seats.
The middle one is gone, Duncan got some of it but the rear is in my basement taking up precious real estate and as we all know, most basements are NOT the driest places to store things. Mine certainly falls into this category though it is under control thanks to the miracle of electronics and being fed into a floor drain.

My "garage" ....... 1960's era concrete block 11' x 22'...... which is pretty much useless for cars let alone a Vanagon!
The ceiling was only 6'10" which added to the useless nature.
I raised the ceiling to 8'6" in the center using collar ties, opening up the space.
Pulled the rotting wooden garage door replacing it with a 3-0 "people" door and a window.
I insulated the walls with Poly-iso sheets glued to the block as well as R-19 in the ceiling and sheetrocked.
In the rear section I framed a closet and a 1/2 Bath as well as installed a floating floor.
The back half has a Pellet Stove and a built in window air conditioner.
This area is my Wife's work area for crafts, sewing, whatever. The front half is similarly insulated but isn't painted nor is there a floating floor in it.

Anyway.......
all that to say that it would be nice to have a guest room.
I don't want a conventional bed, I could get a sofa bed (Ugh!) or a Murphy bed.
But it dawned on me. Why not build a wooden frame for the rear seat mechanism and use the rear seat as a couch. When a bed is needed (rarely) fold out the seat and create some sort of a knock down platform for the rear mattress.

Am I Crazy? Maybe, but it would be nice to get that seat out of the basement!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

It would be cool to have in the house, but maybe you should consider passing it along to a Vanagon that can use it for it's intended purpose.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

I do not find the rear seat comfortable for sitting at all, and marginal for sleeping.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I do not find the rear seat comfortable for sitting at all, and marginal for sleeping.

Depends on the guest.
Some you want to stay longer, some shorter
Probably need to have a “mattress topper” at the ready for the A-list.

The good thing about using it in the house, if you ever decide camping might happen more often than loading 5,000 lbs of tools, well then you still have a bed for the van.
That may be some away, but worth planning for.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

I forgot to say, this is still my vacation vehicle, tools out! Bed in! Off we go!

I am keeping the rear seat bed and will be using it, doing so just requires a bit of planing and time before any journey begins.

Yes, I agree, a good mattress topper will serve guests as well as us when the bed is traveling in the Van.

And really? Who wants to make guests all that comfortable?
You know the three day thing about fish and guests.........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

You know the three day thing about fish and guests.........

I find this saying tells me more about the host than the guests.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

I had planned to install the almost entire bottom sleeping /cabinets units, in a spare media/ guest room tucked into a half wall closet area, but sold it Confused

Did dream about gutting a full westy , mounting up as a tree house or on stilts with a wrap around porch

I once saw a cabin cruiser , set in the ground at waterline level Arrow some where Question I was a little boy then, everyone that would know where that was is dead Crying or Very sad bummer
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

$85 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Folding-Adjusta...3&th=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
$85 on Amazon

And how does this get my GL bed out if the basement?
Looking to use the seat, not buy a bed.
At $85 I’m sure it is well built and comfy.
Anytime you see the word “futon” you know it is uncomfortable in so very many ways!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
$85 on Amazon

Anytime you see the word “futon” you know it is uncomfortable in so very many ways!

Gotta be more comfy than what you got.

When i was in my 20s a friend had a van bench seat with a Mexican blanket on it in the living room. There were some nasty stains on the seats under the blanket.

Come on, just buy another vanagon to use as a shed and store it in it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

Dave,
I think your idea is great! Now it will have three purposes Post some pics of how you set it up.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Yes, I agree, a good mattress topper will serve guests as well as us when the bed is traveling in the Van.

Dave

I agree. Look at it this way. A new modest house costs $250 per square foot to build. So let's buy an older fixer-upper and by the time we have done all the work ourselves, we have $125 per foot in it. So a guest needs to have at least 10 x 12 for a decent bedroom with closets and bureaus etc. We use the closet and bureau, but skip that part. So 120 squares at a buck and a quarter is: 15K--and by the time the mortgage has been paid off, that 15 will cost 45. Skip the guest bedroom and give the "guest" a Franklin and tell him to go to Motel 6 down the road and you'll see him in the morning. Much cheaper and it helps reduce the three day problem for two reasons. First the Franklin won't cover it and he'll get tired of ponying up the delta, and second they won't be underfoot all the time and so therefore less annoying and even 4 days might be OK.

Seat/bed in the house. Good idea. A fold out bed for an emergency, why not? A VDub seat makes a great "think spot". Every middle seat of my dozens of various Ts 1 through 3 have had the middle seat ripped out before the PO could even blink. And they work great in all kinds of places. Living room when young and poor, boat yard for beers with buds after the work day and in the garage to "contemplate" the next diamond tioothed chainsaw mod.

Duncan
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
$85 on Amazon

You monetize it with a “ how to use a futon to heat soup” video
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

I approve this idea, but only if you cut off the rear of the van to house it like this guy did:

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

dave
my personal take is YES
you're crazy for dragging that GL rear seat/bed around anywhere but in the back of a van..

as for the rear seat and occasional need for a rear bed in a van..
my father used his as a work van.. I took a westy rear seat/bench and stripped the cushions off it so it was just a plywood bench..
*it still allowed use as a seat on rare occasion. or to secure tiered rear cargo
*it folded flat to better support long stuff like lumber and ply/pipe goods
*it held more permanent stuff securely in the underneath chest.. could even add a lock.. to secure your power toos etc..
* and nothing to move/install when taking a vacation other than loading in a mattress pad or inflatable mattress and hit the road..

in fact I have a GL bench/seat up here in upstate NY (no rear pad though) if anyone wants the weight and burden of the folding 3rd row seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

Humble opinion. As we get older, the idea of lugging a rear seat out of the basement to stick in the T3 seems like an overwhelming chore. Since you don't need the seat 95%of the time in the car and apparently only might need it 3% of the time in the basement, I guess I would cannibalize the cushions and make a simple lightweight ply base to support them for the camping. The heavy steel, I'd chuck or save because you can never tell when .............. I really like my system which carries the ply in the car all the time and only needs the cushion to make it a bed or seat. Since it is two part and folds against the sloping firewall, it takes up almost no cube for cargo hauling. You could then have something in the basement which the mattress could go on and thus have the emergency bed there as well.

In other words, use a mattress as the dual location base item, not the OG GL seat.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Humble opinion. As we get older, the idea of lugging a rear seat out of the basement to stick in the T3 seems like an overwhelming chore. Since you don't need the seat 95%of the time in the car and apparently only might need it 3% of the time in the basement, I guess I would cannibalize the cushions and make a simple lightweight ply base to support them for the camping. The heavy steel, I'd chuck or save because you can never tell when .............. I really like my system which carries the ply in the car all the time and only needs the cushion to make it a bed or seat. Since it is two part and folds against the sloping firewall, it takes up almost no cube for cargo hauling. You could then have something in the basement which the mattress could go on and thus have the emergency bed there as well.

In other words, use a mattress as the dual location base item, not the OG GL seat.

Duncan

Huh!
Now there is some wisdom and fuel for thought!

A plywood base where the seat goes with plywood supports that slip together forming little X’s to support them.

The only downside is losing the “safe” DOT travel seat. We have picked up Grandchildren in Montana and taken them to Crescent City Ca. and back.
I need to weigh out that negative, bounce it off the Wife…….

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

a westy bench without the padding is still a safe DOT seat and far far more usable than a GL bench or no bench..
you can remake the westy base to fit full width with new 3/4in plywood as well.
you still retain the rear OE seatbelts, just leave them tucked underneath when not needed..
seating can be 'cushioned with patio cushions.. well this is what we used in dad's for a grab and go pseudo comfort.

in mine I was/am planning to have the rear cushions fitted out like boat cushions that then go on with a snap on the fabric tag/flap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

This seems like a really good way to go. The question is for the hauling 95% mode, this would be in the way. Instead of using the Z bed hinges or whatever they are in these photos, I'd try to make something that would create the same effect, but fold like mine in the sketch so it takes up no room for the work van mode. The hinges would be different from what I have, but I don't see this as a problem at all.

I am pretty sure you have eliminated the rear heater and so all you have to do is move the ECU. This was pretty simple. There is a pretty good sized hole with a rubber boot which makes up the difference for the ECU cable to go through the fire wall. If you pull out the rubber boot, the ECU plug can be passed through the slanted firewall into the engine bay by the tranny. A new hole was then drilled the same size as close to the side as I could get it and reinstalled the cable and the boot there. The ECU now lives in the side panel just under the Mack Sails sticker. The old hole was covered with two pieces of tin and bolts with goo to keep it from rusting or leaking. I used scraps of stainless for the "bread" of the sandwich.

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fold out bed in house?! Reply with quote

duncan the seat/bench folds out flat.. doesn't need to make a stop board up front like pic2

as Dave mentioned he on occasion has a passenger back there.
I wouldn't recommend they use a DIY seat for passenger use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: