Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

“Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

I live in Las Vegas desert and daily my Mild 1776 and this is the second summer that I have had issues with “over heating “ and having engine problems. I have factory tins and my seal is new . My bug is a 67 , so it only has the one long vent under the window and as it warms up I install a lid stand off kit . I run 30w VR1 oil, believe I have 26mm oil pump no cooler other than the factory dog house . It seems to me like I am just dead heading all the air and turning my engine bay into a big convection oven. Any suggestions? I have thought about knack A ducts or changing the lid to a later year that has venting on it .
Thanks for your thoughts .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

With the deck lid stand-offs, you should have plenty of ventilation.

What compression ratio is your engine and what octane gas do you run?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Just what is your idea of "over heating"?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

I am seeing head temps upwards of 500 degrees.
I run 91 pumped gas. I have to re run the math for compression but heads are 54 cc deck height is .006 which should be close to 9-1 .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

.006 deck height is your problem. No no no.

Install a .040 copper head shim and you should be golden.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Dstolan83 wrote:
I run 91 pumped gas. I have to re run the math for compression but heads are 54 cc deck height is .006 which should be close to 9-1 .

500 degrees is over a hundred past where they’re going to start cracking.

Usually the tightest deck you can get away with is about .035” with .040” being preferred. Your pistons are probably kissing the heads being at .006”.

On the subject of deck lids you’re not going to be able to use anything but a 1967 convertible deck lid if you want additional air, earlier and later lids won’t fit in place of that one year only ‘67 lid.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
Dstolan83 wrote:

500 degrees is over a hundred past where they’re going to start cracking.

Usually the tightest deck you can get away with is about .035” with .040” being preferred. Your pistons are probably kissing the heads being at .006”.

On the subject of deck lids you’re not going to be able to use anything but a 1967 convertible deck lid if you want additional air, earlier and later lids won’t fit in place of that one year only ‘67 lid.

And damn near impossible to find. If you do, expect to pay handsomely for it. Shocked
Ask me how I know. Wink
My 67 vert decklid, IS NOT FOR SALE!

IDK if Dr. Decklid is still modifying decklids. But he would be a less expensive solution to finding an OG 67 vert decklid.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

I would say remove the front tin, the part across right under the firewall, and see if that helps. Easiest way to test your deadhead theory, which, is certainly true to a degree.

I've seen no real preference to how to vent the engine lid, some prop open the top, some prop open the bottom, or both, or others the vent behind the license plate.
I SUSPECT it makes no difference at all what you do with the lid, I bet they work equally.

But you probably have something else going on, belt slipping on overheated aluminum pulley, or excessively tight piston to wall clearance, or exhaust tuning problems cruising right in the bad spot, the dreaded .080 deck, too lean, or too rich and overadvanced timing, or glowing exhaust valves, or not enough octane, or geared wrong, Fins blocked with flash, fuel preheated, or carbs too hot, or something like that.

I may not have still missed it with that shotgun, but it's usually what you DON'T see that's hurting you, know what I mean?

Lots of VW run too hot and benefit from additional venting, but a lot of them run cool enough to close the lid. Every single part can be a contributor to that.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

OP, how are you measuring your head temps?
With a thermocouple?
Or an infrared temp gun?
If the gun is used. Where are you aiming it to get your head temps?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Modok, I think you hit it right on. I know that having a “Rich” motor is what killed my new one. I washed the rings out. Lost all compression with no catastrophic failure, once the temperature got above 70 degrees average.
Over the summer I have cleaned the porting up on my heads installed a new exhaust system so that I can have a wide band O2 and monitor my AFR . Installed new rings and honed my jugs.
So getting back the question, what you guys are saying is that Dead heading is not an issue with bugs.
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

And to fix my typo and reran the Jbugs calculator
90.5 bore
69 stroke
Heads cc 54
Deck height 0.06
Compression 8 to 1
I was taking temps with a Milwaukee temp gun with the laser on heads from underneath the car as far from the exhaust as possible..
thanks for the responses it is all good information.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Tstat, flaps working?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Stock pulleys? Power pulley? Correct fan for the dog house shroud? Firewall insulation loose and being sucked into the fan? What is your AFR reading and timing at cruise?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Try swapping to a non synthetic oil like Lucas. When I tried synthetic oil in my engine, oil temp went down but engine temps went up. Synthetic does not absorb heat like conventional oil. It may not solve the problem but it may help.

If you have stand offs you have something going on as stated above, slipping belt, loose insulation, fan, internal friction.
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

It is a conventional just has a zinc additive
johnstrive4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes OH. YEA Sounds like SOME KILLER BUDS be messing witcha.
Weed may be good for some. And by others comments ,
Sounds like you got the good STRAIN. WEED dude VW!

Been out in Temps over 120 deg at idle in traffic Head temp 290 , oil temp 220.
500 deg! You preheat metal to weld at that temp. Quit playing.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

I think you need a cht gauge with a bolt on thermocouple.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: “Dead Heading “ of air in engine bay Reply with quote

key missing/sheered on the generator pulley? seen that a few times.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: