Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

Hello all

First off thanks for the wealth of info that i have got from this site.

I am looking to buy a 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia ( Canadian edition) It is my understanding that 92-94 Eurovans in Canada were Westfalia conversions, and then in 1995 they moved to the Winnibego conversions. I was hoping someone with a Canadian westfalia version could comment.
I found out that the Canadian Westfalia version has a chest type fridge but it appears to be only a 12v/ 120 volt fridge, not propane. I was disappointed to find this out becasue i didn't want ot have to move to a 95 Winni conversion as it looks to be the Westfalia version is nicer and more compact. What the heck is the point of a 12 v fridge? Is there any hope at all of having cool food for 3 nighs while camping? We never camp with hookups around so how are you supposed to run a fridge off of the battery for 3 ights or longer without having to start the van and drive around to charge the coach battery?
Am I missing something here? Do these fridges actually work well off of 12v or are they just a total waste of time. This is supposed to be a camper after all.
If anyone has used one of these some input would be appreciated. I know the 1995 winni versions had 3 way fridges, I just want to hear about the Westfalia verison Euros if anyone has one.

Thanks!

PS in case anyone is wondering, this will be our primary vehicle, if I was shopping around for a second vehicle just for camping I am starting to think I would be going the Vanagon way, but for now it will be a eurovan.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a Vanagon Westy 12v fridge, but I had (and yanked out) a bay window Westy 12v fridge. I also have the Norcold 3-way which obviously runs on 12v as an option, in my EV.

My experience with these ammonia fridges when running on 12v, is that they suck power and cool only modestly.

It will be interesting to see if someone has had better experience with one.

This is no reflection on the newer 12v compressor fridges which great units.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
westdre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very late reply... I too am in the market for a '94 Canadian Westy and would be interested to hear the answer. Thanks for the info as well-- if I hadn't seen this question, I would not have thought to ask the owner.

My thinking is to possibly buy ice, put in a waterproof sack, and use the fridge unpowered as a cooler when we sit for a few days (assuming we get this van) should I not get a satisfactory answer from the owner.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can't comment on the fridge, however my seeing the two different versions tells me that the Westfalia camper is by far the best layout and finish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cneugebauer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '95 Canadian Eurovan Westfalia. The fridge is 12V only, though the coach battery is recharged while plugged into 120VAC, so I suppose that you could count it as 120 too. The fridge uses a compressor to the best that I can tell, so different design than the propane models. I am not a long-term remote camper, so can't vouch for anything other than overnight operation. I do know that there is room for two coach batteries in the way back whereas I only have one installed. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to think that you'll get three days out of that setup, but I doubt it with just one battery.

The fridge works very well and will freeze stuff closest to the coils if you're not careful.

--Chris
rickbeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another late reply. I remember seeing the lack of propane in the fridge the year they came out and figured that it was a gross miscalculation of the market. In Europe, there is almost always a "steckdose" to plug into. Two years later, Westfalia gave up altogether in North America.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the 3 way Norcold in the Winnie models cool any better on LP than the Dometic 182? Or is it the same "ball of wax"?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
grahamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: 1992 CV Eurovan Westfalia Fridge Reply with quote

I have had a 1992 CV Eurovan Westfalia for 5 years. Chest fridge stopped working 2 years ago. I searched for replacement parts without success.
I purchased a Koolatron chest cold box off Craigslist for $70. The cold box draws power from the 2x13v auxilliary batteries at the back. I fitted a 2 lighter unit splitter directly to the auxilliary batteries. The cold box is portable and when well packed keeps beer, wine, meats and dairy cold without drawing too much power. The battery capacity can be viewed on the control panel below the rear view mirror. We have never discharged the batteries but I think they would last for 3 to 4 days without re-charging.
Hope this nor helps,
grahamr
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge ? Reply with quote

I did not like the under seat fridge that much as I needed access while driving and don't use the rear-facing seat while camping anyway, so I found a really good solution.
I got a Dometic CDF-11 and put it between the seats.

I put it with cup-holders to the rear so I could open lid more easily.

Pros:
    Cup holder
    Non-slide Tray
    Very low draw fridge (or freezer)
    Matches interior colors

Cons:
    To open lid you do have to lift the arm-rests
    Small capacity - only a few items or bottles can fit

More Photos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebeachmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

Very late reply, but I have a 1992 eurovan westy and I can't find the dang aux batteries!!! Where are they? help! Smile
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

The batteries are underneath the rearmost cabinet.

You will have to take out the rear cushion and sleep platform and then there is a screw on cabinet door on the bottom side of the rear cabinet (left hand side).

There will be 2 big 12v marine batteries in there.
cdo2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

Another Late reply.

I have a 1994 Westfalia with a 12v Chest fridge. (Yes the Westfalia is the best layout)
Driving won't fully charge your batteries usually, but plugging in will, just keep an eye on the water levels in the batteries at least twice a year as the charger tends to evaporate them quickly if they are plugged in a lot.

A full charge using 2x 12v Marine batteries would last me 3+ days at about 6 degrees Celsius.

I then installed 2x 6V Golf Cart Batteries in tandem (to make 12v) and never looked back. I'm they will last for about 10 years at least and I get over a week on the fridge and run my heavy duty laptop off a 1000w inverter. I've yet to be away long enough to kill the batteries. There are only 2 caveats:

1) The golf cart batteries are a little tall (10.75"?), so I cut part of the ceiling of the cabinet out so they would fit and install a flat piece of lexan over the hole inside the upper cupboard, sealed with silicone as you do not want any batteries gassing into your living area. I used lexan only because I had it lying around, but you can use any 1/4" airtight panel including wood.

2) In the overhead driver console where you turn your fridge on and see the battery level, I was dismayed to see the battery went from full to only 3 bars almost within an hour, BUT then over the next 7 days of camping, the level only went down to 1 bar. I have not tried switching the dip switches inside the panel, which may fix this, but it appears either 6V in tandem or the low-end nature of golf cart batteries mess with the gauge a bit.

I got the batteries in Canada for $183 CAD each in 2017: Canada Proof US 2200-UTL 6V PGCOIL (Thermoil®) and though I think they had a 3yr warranty I'm told they will last 10 years easy. So far they have.

Hope this helps someone.
Sotobashi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

2022 - wow, the post that keeps on going! Not sure if this is still relevant, but maybe it will help someone out there. Lots of 92-95s still around.

I have a '95 westy, Canadian edition. Yes, many of the 95s are Winnies, but the ones in Canada were Westy. Major difference in build quality, as any Westy owner will tell you.

I had a '81 Westy for many years with the three way fridge, the thing was a tank and just kept working and working. 3-way was THE way!

When I bought my '95, I didn't even know that it was only 12V, so was a little surprised. But I can say that with the right set-up, the fridge works like a dream. I have two group 27 AGM batteries and a 100W Coleman panel, and as long as you are not running the fridge at 2'C, and have a little bit of sun during the day, you should be fine.4 or 5'C is the sweet spot, with everything kept nice and cold. I will sometimes turn off the fridge during the night, and because it is so well insulated, everything is still cold in the morning.

However, I did leave my van with the fridge on (full of beer) for 3 days to go mountain biking in the Chilcotins. The van (and solar panel) was parked in the trees, so had some sun, and some shade during the day. Everyone else left coolers in their trucks. When we returned, I had cold beer and almost a fully charged battery...and the truck drivers had warm beer and spoiled food.

I plan to upgrade the cheap 100W Coleman panel to a Renogy 175W flexible panel which will put out even more power than the 4A max that I get from the 100W. Apparently the newer panels are much more efficient, and the flexible ones are super light and don't add any height to your van.

So, I'm a big fan of the little fridge, and it is possible to set it with solar to work fine. The shore power option is also a good thing if available.

Cold beers and Westys!
Camper75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

Later late reply, 92 Westy. Thank-you all posting for the great information, I think I will go with the two 6v Golf cart battery idea! Thanks. The only issue I am currently having is my control panel (on ceiling between the seats) shows "---V", because of this I can't turn my fridge on (it also shows the first and the very last bar, on the battery indicator, as soon as I'm finished charging, or running the van, (which to me would mean at least the controller sort of sees the batteries are there) shortly after the indicators go away, and it just shows a flashing battery). I have two 12 volt batteries which are probably weak.... but seem to run everything else (all the lights brightly, the water pump, and even the auxiliary heater). When the Vans running I get (---V). So, I plan on first cleaning all the battery connections very well, then I will try connecting an outside battery charger (not the internal van charger). And see if I get any voltage showing up on the control panel. If I get good voltage with the battery charger, I will just swap out for new batteries. The problem I am having right now though is because no voltage shows up on the display, nothing happens when I press the buttons to turn the fridge on, or press the button to view the fridge temperature. I guess if this still doesn't work, I will go looking for a broken wire, or disconnect/loose connection. If anyone else has experienced something similar I'd love to hear about it. Any other information might be useful as well, for example does a voltage meter only show voltages when they are above 10.5 volts, etc.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

I have a Eurovan CV - the Canadian Version Wesfalia full camper. Mine’s a 1992. I suspect your auxiliary battery needs to be replaced before your fridge will work. If you think the battery is still good, charge it fully before turning on the fridge. You turn on or off the fridge by depressing the power button and the fridge (snowflake) button at the same time. When the snowflake is shown in the screen, the fridge is on. You set the temp of the fridge using the snowflake and the up or down arrows. But first, make sure you have a good, fully charged auxiliary battery.

If your battery is at or below 10.3 volts the fridge will stop and will nor come on until the battery is above 11.3 volts, but both of these voltages are well below the levels your battery should be allowed to discharge to.

Here's photos of the relevant pages of the owner's manual:

I can’t remember the varying circumstances under which the overhead meter in the cab shows a continuum of bars or just the first and last, but I do know it is not a fault when it does that. I don’t use the bars in the overhead meter as an indicator of battery state because there is no absolute values attached to them; I use the voltage. Note that the voltage will not be an accurate indication of SOC until the charging has stopped (engine off, not plugged into 110 volts) and the battery has rested a bit, so give it a few minutes. I installed an auxiliary battery monitor (Victron BMV-712) to aid me here.

Battery maintenance is critical to getting lots of operating time from your fridge. We set ours at 8 degrees Celsius and find that works well, keeping our food cold and not having lettuce, etc. freeze, but you need to experiment to find the ideal setting for your van. We usually turn the fridge off at night, but have left it on and still got 3 night's worth of cooling. We have 100 watts of solar panels to charge our 2 92 Ah AGM group 27 12 volt batteries. I am vigilant to never let the batteries drop below 12.2 volts, which is 50% state of charge.

You don’t want to fully drain your auxiliary battery! If it goes below 50% state of charge you risk damaging it, reducing the charge capacity and it’s ability to hold that charge.

12.2 volts is a battery discharged to 50% of its capacity. 50% SOC, where SOC = state of charge, is as low as manufacturers recommend a battery be discharged. Fully discharged is 11.4 volts. Batteries do not respond well to being discharged below 50% of their capacity. They will lose their ability to take a charge or hold that charge, loose the ability to fully charge, so you don’t get a lot of power back into them and they will deteriorate rapidly until they need to be replaced.

About the 12.2 volt 50% SOC point, think of it this way. If your loads need 12 volts, running them from a battery below 12 volts won’t work. Yes, a lamp will still glow, but dimmer, but electronics or a fridge compressor that need that certain voltage will not work or could be damaged running on low voltage. So, low voltage below 12.2 is potentially bad for the loads and for the battery.

Your aux battery is one of these types: FLA - a standard flooded lead-acid battery, or a FLADC - a FLA deep cycle battery, or one of the AGM equivalents: AGM or AGMDC. Ideally, your aux battery should be a Deep Cycle battery. The AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries will have a bit more capacity in AH (ampere hours) than the FLADC of the same size, they are spill proof, do not require water to be added, and do not emit gasses when being charged.

To charge the battery, if they have been discharged, but not below 50%, you need to supply them with a "bulk" charge until the batteries are about 75% fully charged - 25% to go. Then the "absorption" stage takes over and the batteries receive 14.1 to 14.8 volts until they are charged. Next, they receive a "float" stage at 13.0 to 13.8 volts to maintain them at full charge.

The engine alternator will charge the aux battery in your van when you drive, but it can take a very long drive to fully charge a battery. Long road trips may work well, or shorter drives when the battery has only been discharged a bit, say down from the 12.9 volts of a fully charged battery to 12.8 volts. But if the battery has been discharged to 12.3 volts, a short drive is not going to charge it fully. When you are driving the alternator is charging the aux battery if it is not already fully charged. The reading of voltage on the meter is the voltage at the battery, but when it is being charged the reading is the charge voltage, not the battery SOC. You won’t see that until the engine is off and the battery has rested a bit.

The 110 volt charger comes into play when the van is connected to shore power. An overnight charge may be enough to bring the battery up to full, depending on the charger and the load running through the night, such as the fridge. (I have not knowledge of the specifications and operation of the charger VW supplied with the CV back in the early 1990s. When I bought my van, the original charger was already replaced with a modern one that supplied the proper 3 stages of charging that the battery needed.)

The Eurovan CV has space for 2 Group 27 size batteries. The FLA and FLADC of that size will have a capacity on average of 80 AH each and the AGM or AGMDC will be about 90. You should only use deep cycle batteries for you aux batteries. I replaced my old worn out FLADC 80AH battery with 2 AGMDC batteries that each had a capacity of 92AH. My maximum capacity with these wired in parallel is 184AH. But because I will not discharge them below 50%, my usable capacity is 92AH.

So, important numbers: 12.9 volts is fully charged. 12.2 volts is 50% SOC. 11.4 volts is fully discharged. Don’t use battery below 50% SOC/12.2 volts. Charging takes time, depending on SOC and output of charger (alternator or shore power).

1992 Eurovan CV - The Canadian full camper by Westfalia
Camper75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 92-94 Eurovan Westfalia fridge? Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try those things, and see how it goes. I appreciate all the information.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: