Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Accessory Switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

I just purchased a new (to me) 1990 Vanagon Westfalia. It has an after market stereo. Works great. My question is, is there some sort of accessory switch so I can sit in the bus and listen to music without the engine running or power going to the engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

If you leave your key in the ignition, it should work, no?

If not, just move the stereo power to a Battery + rather than Ignition +
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Some people use the "Key In" circuit on the ignition switch while some wire in to the B+ circuit and added a toggle switch to turn the stereo on and off.

Some units you can wire into the B+ circuit without a switch and then go through a procedure given in the stereo's owner's manual to turn the unit off. Popping open the front of the unit can turn it off as well.
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

I hadn't thought to try that. Thanks! I'll give it a go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

I didn't realize there was a key in circuit. I'm going to be putting in an aux battery under the driver's seat soon. I'll probably wire it to that later. Thanks!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

artfulljim wrote:
I didn't realize there was a key in circuit. I'm going to be putting in an aux battery under the driver's seat soon. I'll probably wire it to that later. Thanks!

I'm using the "key-in" circuit to power the stereo.

My problem is, my stereo "enhances my user-experience" by turning itself on every time I put the key in.
So if I don't actively "turn the stereo off" after every time I put the key in, it drains the battery.
Then my key-in function failed and did not disconnect after the key was pulled out, so the stereo remained on.
I ruined two batteries before figuring out that the problem was a key-in switch failure PLUS an "exceedingly helpful" modern stereo.

Then I took the (OEM, 31 years old) switch apart and lubed it and the problem went away.
Incidentally, the 31 year old OEM switch was in perfect condition inside.
I looked inside an aftermarket switch and it was a POS compared to the OEM switch so I put the OEM switch back.
And bought a Porsche switch to carry as a spare.

I hate the stereo anyway. I want one with knobs that do what I expect them to do.
For example "Off is off". Click.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

I think that's the way I'll go as well. I must have gremlins that turn up the volume when I shut it off so it surprises me the next time I get in Smile
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

If your head unit is newer, it will have two power leads — usually red and yellow. One gets wired to constant +12v (to maintain presets and programming settings), and the other gets switched +12v. Connect the latter thru a simple toggle switch and forget the ignition circuit.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Gowesty sells a kit to wire in a three position switch (On-Off-On) to power up the stereo either with the ignition switch like normal or always on and independent of the keyed ignition switch. I copied their kit with a ~$5 toggle switch from Home Depot and some bits of wire and terminals I had laying around. My stereo is powered from the house battery, btw, so it won't draw down the starting battery when listening to it with the engine off. Super easy project and definitely the way to go if you're going to wire in a house batt and plan on using the stereo while camping or whatever.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Having a timer to cut power to the unit after an hour or so can save your battery.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Having a timer to cut power to the unit after an hour or so can save your battery.

Without constant power to the proper lead of your head unit you will lose all presets. This gets frustrating as you have to reset everything each time. Wiring to an aux battery is best, so if the battery should get drained during long periods of non-operation you can still start your van.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Then I took the (OEM, 31 years old) switch apart and lubed it and the problem went away.
Incidentally, the 31 year old OEM switch was in perfect condition inside.
I looked inside an aftermarket switch and it was a POS compared to the OEM switch so I put the OEM switch back.

Are you talking about the mechanical switch for rebuild? Do you have a part number for the Porsche switch. I'm tired of cheap switches that don't last.

Just for clarity you are referring to original parts as OEM when really it is OE, OE is Original Equipment (came from the factory) OEM is by description not exactly factory but may be close in quality OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer and not always made to the same standards. Just one of my Pet Peeves.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Without constant power to the proper lead of your head unit you will lose all presets. This gets frustrating as you have to reset everything each time. Wiring to an aux battery is best, so if the battery should get drained during long periods of non-operation you can still start your van.

Yes and my experience is that the wire colors can be reversed in some unit, thus why I didn't say which wire one needs to have a switch or timer on.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Accessory Switch? Reply with quote

Use Caution;

At least around where I live, putting a key in the ignition is analogous to Operating a Vehicle. I have friends who go on hikes with a beer or three in their packs. TWO of them have been dinged with OWI's when they got back to their cars and were only sitting there with the radio on, not the engine running or any sense of the word "driving" nor had they intended on that. Their cars' need for the key in to play the radio cost them both a LOT of money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: