Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Bety and son.

0to60in6min wrote:
Thank you for the nice pictures Syncronoid,

I have heard that Antonio (Tony) at Campo Archelon passed away... so who's running the camp now?

thanks,

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Here we were at Camp Archelon a few years ago...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
x

and touching the whales

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

It's cheaper than a tow...

So when we got to Mulege (Don Chano's), I got under the van to investigate why we had loud 'clonks' when going over severe potholes. I discovered this:

The lower left front shock bolt had vanished! Now I was the last one to touch that when I replaced the springs, but I can remember torquing it up. Sad Regardless, it was missing. I needed an M14 x 100 bolt to replace it. The first hardware store in Mulege had no metric bolts at all, the second only went up to M12. Now I had an M12 bolt of the right size on the van already - an almost redundant bolt on the front bumper:

And that did the trick, and lasted the next 2,500 miles until we got home. Smile

We also noticed some 'drumming' sounds at speed - just like you get on some roads - but this would be constant regardless of road surface. Eventually, on the way home going up I5 it got worse and worse. Ioverlander suggested a campsite just off I5, but the only review was from 2019. We hoped it'd be open - and as we made our way the last few miles on a side road the drumming became a clanking - but only with power applied, not when coasting or slowing down. Aha! a CV joint had just died. Sad

This is where I truly thank TheSamba, as I knew that by swapping the axles from side to side the thrust would now be on the 'quiet' side of the CV joint.

Above is me removing the LHS axle - in doing this I realised I didn't need to take the wheel off and have Mrs fxr put the handbrake on and off, but just chocking the wheel would work just as well.

Four hours later (two in the evening, two in the morning) the axles were swapped, and we zoomed home with zero drumming and vibrations. The van was quieter than it'd been for some time, so that CV joint (maybe two) had been deteriorating for ages. Two split boots and Baja sand and grit can't have helped. Wink

All in all though, despite a buggered back (saw the Chiropractor this morning) it was far cheaper than a 300 mile tow. Smile

Oh, the Gowesty scissor jack's thrust bearing gave up the ghost in the process, luckily on the last lift just as it reached the right height. A Hi-Lift is in our van's future. Wink
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

As the next trip approaches, I'm keeping an eye on the safety conditions in Baja California and Baja California Sur and will make the decision to cross or not, when I am/we are at Potrero County Park. Personally, I feel very safe in Mexico and even went down uninnoculated (sp?) twice during COVID season. That being said, it's more about my companions . . .

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/travela...California

Hope to see you there!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

We're very unlikely to go to Baja next year - other plans are afoot. Wink I thoroughly recommend this trip though, especially for those who haven't put their toe in Baja waters before. Smile
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
We're very unlikely to go to Baja next year Smile

Shocked Crying or Very sad

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

We'll be down there already. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if we can meet up somewhere.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to for me. Now to be running and ready by then! Luckily I think most camping gear will transfer from my Jeep or tiny Kwick Kamper moto trailer over. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Is there a way to flag a thread?... Thanks!

Corwyn wrote:
The thread "10 Vans in Baja 9 days" became a bit proprietary, so let's begin anew:

Each year around February, I drive into Baja California with a few friends in search of new adventures, companionship and great camping.

I am going again this year in early February, and invite all the usual suspects and any others to join us with an open itinerary, adventurous palate and plenty of firewood!

Stay tuned for further developments . . .
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We'll be gathering at Potrero County Campground, about 60 miles east of SD on the 3d and 4th. I hope to see you there!

~ Captain Ron ~
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

envirogisgirl wrote:
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to for me. Now to be running and ready by then! Luckily I think most camping gear will transfer from my Jeep or tiny Kwick Kamper moto trailer over. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Is there a way to flag a thread?... Thanks!

Now that you have commented in the the thread you should get notifications, but to follow a thread you are not commenting in you can click `watch this topic for replies` at the bottom of the page.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
envirogisgirl wrote:

Now that you have commented in the the thread you should get notifications, but to follow a thread you are not commenting in you can click `watch this topic for replies` at the bottom of the page.

Gregor

Commenting on a topic does not get me sent notifications. Using the 'Watch this topic' does get me an email when there is a new post.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

For those considering the trip, here is a link to Potrero County Park, where we gather before crossing:
https://www.sdparks.org/content/sdparks/en/park-pages/Potrero.html

I recommend making a reservation as this place can fill up with southbound RV caravans in February. I have already reserved space 1 for 3 and 4 February.

~ Captain Ron ~
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

[quote="Corwyn"]For those considering the trip,
here is a link to Potrero County Park,
where we gather before crossing:
I recommend making a reservation as this place
can fill up with southbound RV caravans in February.
I have already reserved space 1 for 3 and 4 February.

Reserved # 18 !
I'm Jazzed !
See ya all soon!
JC...

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:29 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Try calling the park and making a reservation directly.

~ Captain Ron ~
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Hi All,
How did the CB Radios work out last year?
(thinking about adding one ;o)
JC...

update:
My Temporary CB Installation
for communication on the Baja Wink
I just built a wooden box to slip into the
Ash Tray hole, as a mount.
And a Cig plug for power
Antenna mounted on rain gutter

"Breaker 1 - 9 good buddy"!
"I'm on the Trans-peninsular Highway"
" I'm on the 1" "I'm on the 5!"
"bye bye,! bye bye !!!
Laughing

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to try to make this happen, just booked Site 3 for the 4th.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
Looks like I'm going to try to make this happen, just booked Site 3 for the 4th.

mtnhome,
Great!
Safe Journeys from my favorite Mountain State
(can we say Independence Pass?
Or, Or, Or,,, Hunter S. Thompson Wink !!!
Looks like we have about 4 reservations at the present !?
Looking forward to seeing your Subbie-Gears Shifter !!!
I'm in the middle of a Subbie-Gears 4 speed Automatic (w/LSD) (as we speak)
See ya in the Sunshine!
Best,
JC...

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

&&& If'n Yer on the Fence Compadres ;
Just Remember this:

mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Energy Concepts wrote:
mtnhome wrote:

mtnhome,
Great!
Safe Journeys from my favorite Mountain State
(can we say Independence Pass?
Or, Or, Or,,, Hunter S. Thompson Wink !!!
Looks like we have about 4 reservations at the present !?
Looking forward to seeing your Subbie-Gears Shifter !!!
I'm in the middle of a Subbie-Gears 4 speed Automatic (w/LSD) (as we speak)
See ya in the Sunshine!
Best,
JC...

Thanks! Drove the van several times over Independence Pass this summer.
It will be great to go to Baja with some experienced folks.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Hello, to clarify, Feb 3 and 4, 2023? How many days in Mexico? 2wd ok? We’d be coming from South Florida. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 38

Jump to: