Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Sheeze, having a hard time getting this nut loose on #2. Somebody really clamped it down and rounded off the nut. Any secret solutions? Maybe an impact wrench?

Just picked up this 71 super beetle to restore. Went to adjust the valves and every one is tight with no lash space at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Remove the rocker assembly so it's easier to get visegrips on it.

Replace the nut.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Replace the nut.

Get a genuine valve adjustment nut - it's special 8.0mm x 1.0mm. Maybe get a new stud too.

That is so ugly, someone surely did NOT know what they were doing !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Steel pushrods get set to a loose zero. Should verify if you have steel or aluminum before completing the job.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Try a nut breaker:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Universal-Nut-Spl...amp;sr=8-5
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Replace the nut.

x2

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Replace the nut.

x2

Can also remove the "hairpin" clip and take the rocker off to use a vise or something.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Replace the nut.

x2

Thank you for the advice. Removed the rocker arm and could get a better angle on it with the vise grips.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Thank you for the advice. Removed the rocker arm and could get a better angle on it with the vise grips.

So you got the damaged nut removed? You didn't actually say.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
mg50 wrote:

Yep. Got a better angle on it and got it off with the vice grips. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

Now soaking the covers in solvent to try to remove very old gaskets that are stuck hard. I suppose the routine is to attach the new cork gaskets with sealer, let that se tup with clothespins holding them, then grease the other side and put them back on.

I'm studying up on setting the timing; I suspect it's set too hot. I hope some of these procedures result in a cooler running engine to keep that oil light off.

I think you mentioned that the generator needs to be turned clockwise 90 degrees for proper cooling at the fan end. Looks like that would require some work to do. Though I have seen engine pictures where the generator was oriented like mine. Wondering if there are different setups/fans that position that way? Mike
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
mg50 wrote:

Yep. Got a better angle on it and got it off with the vice grips. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

Now soaking the covers in solvent to try to remove very old gaskets that are stuck hard. I suppose the routine is to attach the new cork gaskets with sealer, let that se tup with clothespins holding them, then grease the other side and put them back on.

I'm studying up on setting the timing; I suspect it's set too hot. I hope some of these procedures result in a cooler running engine to keep that oil light off.

I think you mentioned that the generator needs to be turned clockwise 90 degrees for proper cooling at the fan end. Looks like that would require some work to do. Though I have seen engine pictures where the generator was oriented like mine. Wondering if there are different setups/fans that position that way? Mike

They are all incorrect Mike.
The generator/alt backing plate has a vent that needs to point toward the ground to cool correctly.

It's that damn lower left screw that is a PITA to remove to orient your gen backing plate correctly. If you can get that one, the rest is easy. Just loosen the hold down clamp and rotate the gen/alt to the correct orientation.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

I apply a thin coating of Permatex Aviation to the valve cover, lay in the gasket and then put it on the head.

Never a leak.

You might want to soak the rocker assemblies in a solvent, take them apart and clean them up. Looks like it's been years since they were serviced.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Someone really destroyed that nut. It baffles me how people can eff stuff up.

cbeck wrote:
Steel pushrods get set to a loose zero. Should verify if you have steel or aluminum before completing the job.

This is really important. If you have steel pushrods, you don't set them to the standard lash. You want loose zero, or they will be noisy as hell, and beat up the rockers.

If you have standard aluminum rods, set to .006

For the valve cover gaskets, I don't like using any "glue". I just wet both sides with some grease and install. Just enough grease to moisten the cork. I never have leaks with this method. And the gaskets are not destroyed when you need to remove them.

But everyone seems to have their own preferred method.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

cbeck wrote:

This is really important. If you have steel pushrods, you don't set them to the standard lash. You want loose zero, or they will be noisy as hell, and beat up the rockers.

They may be steel. I guess aluminum would look like .... aluminum? There was no lash at all on any of them when I started adjusting. If I post a pix of a rod will you be able to tell? And when you say a loose zero do you mean closed but not clamped down?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

A long skinny magnet will answer that question real quick, don't probe the tip, see if it sticks as far down the side of the rod as you can reach.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A long skinny magnet will answer that question real quick, don't probe the tip, see if it sticks as far down the side of the rod as you can reach.

well I can just remove the rocker and pull the rod out to test with magnet, right?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

well I can just remove the rocker and pull the rod out to test with magnet, right?

Yep, test the middle part, not the tips. Steel will stick, aluminum not.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

If they are steel, you want to set them to "loose zero". So contacting the valve tip, but you should be able to spin the rod with your fingers.

The aluminum are just raw aluminum color. Many of the steel ones are a black color. But the magnet test will tell you for sure.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If they are steel, you want to set them to "loose zero". So contacting the valve tip, but you should be able to spin the rod with your fingers.

The aluminum are just raw aluminum color. Many of the steel ones are a black color. But the magnet test will tell you for sure.

Got it. Thanks
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve nut has stopped me in my tracks - valve adjustment Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

Ok, closed but loose enough to spin the rod. A good explanation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: