Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch disc modification?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

I’m sure this some ppl wound up..
Anyone ever tried modifying a stock type clutch disc to make it like a puck style? Like cutting out sections between where the disc material is riveted.
I wonder if it would hold or fly apart ? Would it grab harder like a puck style, but maybe be a little more forgiving?
If it ever was done id bet it was back in the 70’s when there weren’t many options and ppl weren’t afraid to try new shit.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Anyone ever tried modifying a stock type clutch disc to make it like a puck style? Like cutting out sections between where the disc material is riveted.
I wonder if it would hold or fly apart ? Would it grab harder like a puck style, but maybe be a little more forgiving?
If it ever was done id bet it was back in the 70’s when there weren’t many options and ppl weren’t afraid to try new shit.

You go first!
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
BFB wrote:

You go first!
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Why?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

Centerforce has been making those for 40 years now. Gene Berg also sells them. The Ace Copperhead is also the same type product. They work great. I run them on all my VW's.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1301.htm

If you talk with any transaxle rebuilder, they will tell you if you use too heavy or too light of a clutch disc then you will put additional wear and stress on the transaxle synchro's and effect shifting. For a racer this can be critical. Using too aggressive of a disc will end up breaking spider gears, R&P's, axles, and other transaxle parts. If you choose to modify the clutch disc it needs to match a stock disc weight to get the smoothest shifting and best transaxle life.

Last edited by vwracerdave on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

So i'm confused, is the OP talking about making a 4 puck?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or this style?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

If you talk with any transaxle rebuilder, they will tell you if you lighten up a clutch disc then you will put additional wear and stress on the transaxle synchro's and effect shifting. For a racer this can be critical. Using too aggressive of a disc will end up breaking spider gears, R&P's, axles, and other transaxle parts. If you choose to modify the clutch disc it needs to match a stock disc weight to get the smoothest shifting and best transaxle life.

Dave, I agree the OP is just rocking the boat for no reason...
but your statement that a light disc puts wear and stress on the synchronizers is incorrect. If you have a heavy clutch disc (black magic for example) the added weight is essentially more kinetic energy that the syncrionizers have to slow down every time you shift. Simply put, a heavier disc is more heat and friction at the synchronizer and gear hub. A light disc is easier on those parts.
You are correct that a puck disc kills gears and axles. Puck clutches don't like to slip and VW transmissions don't like shock loads.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

Sounds like Richard, is asking if anyone has modified a stock clutch disc.
Like 4 puck, removing material between the rivets.

That's why I posted, "You go first."
I'm not one to try anything like that. I don't want to scatter a clutch disc at the top end of a 6K+ rpm drag race.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

I'm sure the imbalance would be insane. Horrible idea for no upside.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Sounds like Richard, is asking if anyone has modified a stock clutch disc.
Like 4 puck, removing material between the rivets.

That's why I posted, "You go first."
I'm not one to try anything like that. I don't want to scatter a clutch disc at the top end of a 6K+ rpm drag race.

Yes that’s exactly what I’m asking, but it could even be like a six puck, 8, whatever. And I’m not scared to try, ill do on my next R&D buggy build.

Also , esde , i dont see anywhere where Dave said i was trying to rock the boat.. this time. Haha! Which does seem out of the ordinary….
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

If someone wants to try peeing on a battery, do NOT try to discourage. Laughing

Just wait for the results -
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Centerforce has been making those for 40 years now. Gene Berg also sells them. The Ace Copperhead is also the same type product. They work great. I run them on all my VW's.

If you talk with any transaxle rebuilder, they will tell you if you use too heavy or too light of a clutch disc then you will put additional wear and stress on the transaxle synchro's and effect shifting. For a racer this can be critical. Using too aggressive of a disc will end up breaking spider gears, R&P's, axles, and other transaxle parts. If you choose to modify the clutch disc it needs to match a stock disc weight to get the smoothest shifting and best transaxle life.

Thats interesting!

So from what I am seeing you have a complete ring of friction material on the PP side and a segmented series of pucks on the flywheel side.

So with less surface area to grip with on the flywheel side you get some "limited slip" during the engagement process so its not just instantly locking up solid and slamming the transmission?

Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

how ya gonna balance it? Shocked just buy the right disc that you need. Im not fond of heavy disc, there hard on trans parts.(zyncros)
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

I think the limited slip is provided more by the marcel spring than the reduced friction surface area on the flywheel side. I don't really understand the choice of 2 different friction materials or different surface areas, but I'm guessing the increased hold is provided by the pucks on the flywheel side.
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

Unless you’re looking at something like a rev 6
Clutch discs are cheap don’t try to reinvent the wheel
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

I've been running this disc for around 6 years in my Turbo Bug, Wink cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Also , esde , i dont see anywhere where Dave said i was trying to rock the boat.. this time. Haha! Which does seem out of the ordinary….

No, you said it yourself! Wink
BFB wrote:

Interesting idea... but personally it would do nothing for me with the kind of driving I do except increase maintenance costs and down time. Have a go and tell us how it works out.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

Removing friction material will increase wear and heat in the friction material. You are asking the remaining material to deal with a lot more than it was designed for. The puck clutches have friction material made to deal with those conditions, so they wear longer and don’t glaze up from excessive heat. Stock style friction material… not so much.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

As a transaxle builder I will tell you to run the lightest possible disc. There is absolutly no downside to a lighter disk, only upsides. The synchro's sole responsability is to controll the clutch disk,, speed it up and slow it down. Remember mass in motion stays in motion.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

Remember, Don Garlits lost 1/2 his foot when a clutch/flywheel blew up in one of his front engine dragsters, I know the engine is behind you in a VW but that does not mean some body standing near by could not get hurt.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc modification? Reply with quote

That's why their is 'Scatter Shields" Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: