Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roll Cage Opinion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Opinion Reply with quote

Full cage , tied into the front beam Wink
PITA to get in&out Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Opinion Reply with quote

Cars are designed to crush to absorb the force of impact. If you stiffen it up so that it doesn't then that force of impact is transferred directly to YOU! Then you have the collision within the car to deal with. So - the next step then is to secure the people with 5 point harnesses etc. Now the forces are transferred internally inside your body. Brains against skull, heart and lungs against rib cage...

Collision protection is a complicated balancing act. In my view the auto manufactures are getting it right with crush zones built into the cars, seat belts and air bags to cushion the occupants.

This is for the STREET! Race conditions are a COMPLETLY DIFFERENT ball game, once again - don't confuse the two!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Opinion Reply with quote

I say go for it. Just do it correctly.
While your at it you should put in a 325 h.p. Camden supercharged/ Holley 670 cfrm carbed street ported 13b rotary mated to a Mendeola transaxle. Then you can justify the cage. 😉

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:

The car hit me directly on the passenger door, RIGHT into the diagonal across the door. THe heaterchannel is 2x3 14 gauge, all is welded in.
Now, I have seen several other bugs t-boned that did NOT have a welded in cage, usually the b-pillar and door are pushed a foot into the car.

But take a moment to think about it, the reason it worked was the heavy duty heater channel. If it was a bolt in cage the tubes may have come loose and speared me. There's nothing solid to bolt them too! No thanks

Dang Modok! That car hit you so hard your battery ended up in front passenger side wheel well! Shocked Laughing
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Opinion Reply with quote

Getting T-boned is the worst kind of wreck. You will be lucky if you survive that one.

If you are going to install a roll-cage, follow the NHRA rule-book. And you better get someone competent to weld them in.

The cage can add rigidity to the car and can protect your ass in case the worse happens. Just don't put them in the car for looks. It has to be functional. Otherwise, what is the point?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: