Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Latest curiosity, top speed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

1987 2.1 Automatic Weekender 

Picture for fun..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So this summer was the first time the van stranded us in seven years of use.  No biggie, 5 mile Uber ride home, AAA to the rescue.  Ended up being an ignition issue that was related to poor wiring from the previous owner.  New ignition coil, used ECU, and fully rewired, we were back up and running, no problem.  Thank you Percy's of Madison, WI!

A month later, 600 mile road trip to Rhinelander, WI and other sundry places.  Big-time rainy day, and I notice in a parking lot that the van's idle and my acceleration was increasing without pushing on the accelerator.  Huh, that's weird.  Stop, pop it into park, and the engine goes redline, racing all the way to the top.  Huh, that's weird....and kind of scary....turn it off.  Start it again, no problem.  Later that day (still wet out), and the van does the exact same thing.  

300+ miles later.  It's never happened again.

But since all these neat things one new feature that is present is that I've lost my top speed.  In the past I could do 70 all day, no problem.  But now I really gotta push it to see 60+ and hills on the highway?  I often dip down to high 40s.

A. I just replaced the fuel filter, little better, no huge change.
B. I just cleaned the K&N air filter, little better, no huge change.

Thoughts? And thank you in advance!

Best,
MJA
2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
1987 VW Vanagon Wolfsberg Edition, Westfalia Weekender

Gone but not forgotten, 1976 Toyota Land Crusier FJ40

Déjà-nesia - Having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this s@*t before.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Check your throttle cable from end to end.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

to elaborate, with the engine off, start by having an assistant floor the gas pedal while you look at the throttle body to see if it is completely open and against the stop. try to move it by hand further and if it moves more, you're not opening all the way caused by a cable/linkage issue. hopefully it is just this, there's other more dire things but we won't go there. yet.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was hoping to see a speedo pegged at 85 mph. Good luck with a solution.

Clogged cat? Spitballing but that doesn't explain redlining while parked.

My van has spent a good deal of time in SE WI (Dodgeville). These folks in Wisconsin Dells may be helpful:
https://autoventuresllc.net/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

i would at least start with a compression check. easy to do and first thing to eliminate.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, fellas.

DanHoug wrote:
to elaborate, with the engine off, start by having an assistant floor the gas pedal while you look at the throttle body to see if it is completely open and against the stop. try to move it by hand further and if it moves more, you're not opening all the way caused by a cable/linkage issue. hopefully it is just this, there's other more dire things but we won't go there. yet.

I like this test. I replaced the cable in 2015, but that doesn't mean there isn't something wonky with it now. Out of curiosity, do they ever stretch or just break?
I'll look at it tonight.

Best,
MJA

Déjà-nesia - Having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this s@*t before.

Last edited by mjanderle on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

mjanderle wrote:
Out curiosity, do they ever stretch or just break?
I'll look at it tonight.

Best,
MJA

they slip in the pinch clamp on either end, effectively lengthening the cable and getting less chooch at the throttle.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
mjanderle wrote:
Out curiosity, do they ever stretch or just break?
I'll look at it tonight.

Best,
MJA

they slip in the pinch clamp on either end, effectively lengthening the cable and getting less chooch at the throttle.

The housing can also get damaged causing binding and/or inconsistent movement. Just like a bike cable, the housing is as important as the cable itself.

Oh and yes they can break, I've been stranded specifically because of this.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Oh and yes they can break, I've been stranded specifically because of this.

I had one break too. Fortunately it was at the end and I was able to jury-rig a solution to keep going.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

So, with a board jammed in hard against the accelerator, this is what we have for play on the throttle body. See video below

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IIU3m0VX4PM

Too much? Am I loosing the chooch? Very Happy

FYI, I still need to trace the cable to make sure there are no other oddities to report.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

that last little bit you're not getting is keeping the Wide Open throttle switch from telling the ECU to enrich the mixture for more power. that said, it shouldn't account for the seemingly large power loss you are experiencing. other than top speed, what is it like driving around town and stop/go?

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
that last little bit you're not getting is keeping the Wide Open throttle switch from telling the ECU to enrich the mixture for more power. that said, it shouldn't account for the seemingly large power loss you are experiencing. other than top speed, what is it like driving around town and stop/go?

Around town and in stop/go, it's great. Zooms pretty normal.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

do some easy things first... adjust the throttle cable so that you get full movement and that the WOT switch clicks when the gas pedal is floored. then disconnect the air hose between the air cleaner and the pillar snorkle as that has a foil paper lining that sometimes comes loose and blocks air flow.

report back.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Thanks. We might be getting a smidge closer.

I started looking at the cable. Even with the drop-kit, my oversized BFG spare was crushing the cable housing pretty well. That pinch, mixed with the dirt and rain, might have been the root cause for the racing engine.

I need to glance at the Bentley regarding throttle cable adjustment. Looks like both ends can be fiddled with...and I will check to make sure the WOT switch is actuating.

Oh, and the air cleaner disconnection....

Thanks again for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Best,
MJA

mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Ok, throttle cable is adjusted & air cleaner is disconnected from the pillar, and spare has been removed (...for now). We are doing a little 150 mile camping jaunt this weekend.

I'll report back to the team what we experience!

Thanks again for the help!

mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Update for the masses : Today's trip = cancelled.

Interestingly enough, we woke up this morning to rain and a bit of fog. The van lives in the garage, so no direct contact with the elements, but it was very wet and damp out. I took Moose, our dog, to the local park for a run and decided to take the van to warm her up.

Nothing exciting on the way there, but on the way home, lo and behold, the idle picked up and the van started accelerating on its own. Hills in the road kept it under control, but I did stop and put it into neutral and park and the engine red lined again.

I popped it into drive and played with it a bit on the way home. I pumped the accelerator to see if anything was hung up, but other than the jerking of acceleration and the constant high idle, nothing came free. Slowing it down with brake power and turning it into the driveway, it actually chirped the tires the idle was pushing so hard on the turn.

I eased her back into the garage. Turned it off and started it back up......and everything was normal. Nice quiet idle. I'm turning here to the experts, but as it stands now, I really don't think it's a mechanical issue, it feels like an electrical component not working correctly. The restart was the reboot it needed to reset.

Not knowing as much as most of you, all I know is that :

A. Percy's put in a used ECU when they fixed me earlier this year.

B. I've read a smidge about the idle control module and how these can go bad at times.

Could either of these two electrical components be the root cause of my racing engine? And maybe my loss of top speed? As said before, just spitballing....

Any help would be great. Thank you again.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

you can unplug the idle control valve electrical connector, you want to make sure the valve is closed by both sucking and blowing on either end of the valve. if it is not closed, just put a cork in the boot opening as well as the one on the valve to the manifold. you'll have to increase your idle speed with the LARGE screw on the throttle body. i've run without an idle control valve for years. this will eliminate that system as a possible cause.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Dan, that was it!

I pulled the plug on the idle control valve after checking that it was closed and the van runs great now! No crazy redlining, throttle response is WAY better and I can go up and down hills at highway speeds as per before! She's running great!

I did turn the large screw on the throttle body out a little more than 1/2 a turn and I now need to give the van a little gas at start up until it warms up before putting it into gear.

The idle control valve, when still connected, had the appropriate buzz when I turned the van on, so I'm guessing my idle control module, behind the tail light, has gone sideways.

Now.....do I pony up the $250 that GoWesty wants for a refurbished unit or do I just leave everything unplugged? I assume the only drawback is the warmup time and slightly higher idle speed?

Thanks again for helping me though this one. It is greatly appreciated!

Best,
MJA

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

nice to hear you fixed it! as i mentioned, i've run without the stabilizer on my 87 for years and don't miss it except on a really cold morning. summer mornings are no problem. don't be afraid to raise your idle speed to 950-1100 rpm. you get better splash lubrication of the camshaft, smoother idle, better take offs, and better coolant circulation. these ain't like a great V8 that can bump along at 650 rpm.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
mjanderle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Latest curiosity, top speed Reply with quote

Dan, quick question, I assume that since I pulled the plug on the idle control valve that I can, at any time, pull the idle control module out and still run the van, as per usual? I'd like to pull out the module and see if I can find any burned out circuitry.....but still use her as a daily driver... Thank you.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: