Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

What's your fuel consumption on rough tracks like that when you spend most of your time in 1st and 2nd between 2000 and 3000 rpm?

My 2074 with a 37 Pict3 maxed out at 27 litres/100km (8.71 miles to the gallon) on the last trip.
But I also don't get mine much under 16 l/100 (14.7miles/gal) on the open road with full length roof rack and AT tyres.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I don’t track my millage when we are off road, only on my highway trips.

I usually get around 20-21 mpg on the highway, unless we are really loaded then I’ve seen it drop to 18. I did get a tank of 14 in SoCal last year, driving up and down busy hwy1. Lots of stop and go down there.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

On the road to Buses and Balloons, Albuquerque here we come!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Love to hear your thoughts about the balloon fest. We were going to *try* to go, but (as usual, it seems these days) life got in the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Peryl is a road warrior !
say hello to the crew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Made it to Albuquerque with ease, Peryl crushed it! Temps were cool and the mpg was awesome! Made it 210 miles on 5/8 of a tank, crazy!!!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

What an awesome adventure, Peryl was an absolute pleasure to drive! Got there Friday morning and linked up with the “no club bus club” crew, they saved me a spot. Set up and bumped elbows with the people attending the event. A lot of laughs were had. I was happy I had the awning and a side wall because it rained pretty hard Friday evening. After the rain Miles and I headed over to the balloon museum. I stay away from the Balloon Park, it’s a zoo over there. The museum has their own party with band, vendors and it over looks the Park. Since it rained earlier in the evening, most of the stuff was closed up but the Museum was open and we checked out all the exhibits. When we got back, Miles went to bed and I stayed up late with the No club Bus Club, drank beer and sang songs by the camp fire.

Saturday morning came way to early as Miles and I were woken up by Helicopters circling the city. I guess the helicopters Survey the weather to see if the balloons can launch. The weather Saturday wasn’t good enough for the balloons to launch. I cooked a nice breakfast and we all got ready for the raffle. We all got excited about the items to be raffled off, so we all went and bought more tickets. Right before the raffle we moved our tent and fire pit to the raffle site in excitement. Our crew won big! I won a engine case and the vintage Sears Allstate trailer. The trailer is not complete, but it’s a excellent platform to start on. After the raffle our crew was on cloud nine. I got a ride to Flaps and bought a tongue and a ball to tow the trailer home. We ate steaks and then The rain came again. Miles and I waited it out and then headed back to the party at the Museum.

Everyone was up early Sunday in anticipation of the Balloons launching. Around 7:30 AM the balloons got to go ahead to launch. Balloon park was north of us and the wind was blowing south, which meant all the balloons flew right over the event. It was so cool to see! After that we all started packing up to hit the road home. I got everything all put away, the trailer all set up, said by to the crew and Miles and I headed north. The bus pulled the trailer with ease and I actually think it drive better towing the trailer then it does hauling the weight. Temps were spot on and the mileage stayed same. I’m gonna rebuild the trailer and set it up to fit my needs, but I think it’s gonna be a game changer for me. On the way home my speedometer started going wonky and quit working, so I’m gonna have to put a new cable in it. Always something when your maintaining 2 ACVWs.

Trip stats:
Total miles: 425
Mpg: 20
Oil consumption: 0
Mechanicals: broken speedometer cable
Fun times had: ♾

My raffle winnings: Sears Allstate trailer, single relief case and a big swag bag!

Miles P at the Balloon Museum

No club bus club

Balloons

Peryl sportin’ her new trailer, all loaded up and ready for the road!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

looks like a fun trip. great photos. glad peryl is proving to be a trouper.

er, rich, do you always take your muffler off when setting up camp?

just asking.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

er, rich, do you always take your muffler off when setting up camp?

just asking.

That’s an original 40 Hp Ernst exhaust I was trying to sell. I have it listed for months with no bites, so I took it to the event to try and sell it. No inquiries at the event, so I donated it to the NMBC and they raffled it off.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

sorry you couldn’t find a buyer.

good for you in paying it forward.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Looks like you had a good time at the event.
How did you find the camp site, facilities, operations, etc? We just had too many obligations to make it but we are targeting next year. We will be making the San Diego-ABQ run in the Eurovan, though.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Looks like you had a good time at the event.
How did you find the camp site, facilities, operations, etc? We just had too many obligations to make it but we are targeting next year. We will be making the San Diego-ABQ run in the Eurovan, though.

Thanks.

As far as the campsite, it’s a VW event. We camp in the parking lot of the little league fields. They chalk out the road and you camp where ever you’d like. They have porta potties that are cleaned once a day. It’s a very similar set up to Jerome Jamboree, but not as crowded. This is a fairly well run intimate event, with a kick ass raffle.

The only Vw event I’ve ever been to that had anything besides Porta potty‘s was Buses on the River at Tico Time. They had real bathrooms and showers available there.

As I stated above, I’m not into the chaos of the Balloon Park, I prefer the more laid back scene at the Balloon Museum.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

]

Oh, Hey! I know both those guys!

Silas was sitting with me looking at the posts about the trip; we're going to have to try to make that some time.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Oh, Hey! I know both those guys!

Silas was sitting with me looking at the posts about the trip; we're going to have to try to make that some time.

Your name came up and Jason said he knew you. They definitely got a kick out of the skinny dipping story. 🤣

Turns out my speedo cable did not break, the e-clip at the hub broke and the square hole rounded out some. I peened it back square again last night, I’ll pick up an e-clip from ACE on my way to work and hopefully I’ll have a working speedo again. Most definitely probably broke with I was off roading with Dave. 😂😂😂
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
What an awesome adventure, Peryl was an absolute pleasure to drive! Got there Friday morning and linked up with the “no club bus club” crew, they saved me a spot. Set up and bumped elbows with the people attending the event. A lot of laughs were had. I was happy I had the awning and a side wall because it rained pretty hard Friday evening. After the rain Miles and I headed over to the balloon museum. I stay away from the Balloon Park, it’s a zoo over there. The museum has their own party with band, vendors and it over looks the Park. Since it rained earlier in the evening, most of the stuff was closed up but the Museum was open and we checked out all the exhibits. When we got back, Miles went to bed and I stayed up late with the No club Bus Club, drank beer and sang songs by the camp fire.

Saturday morning came way to early as Miles and I were woken up by Helicopters circling the city. I guess the helicopters Survey the weather to see if the balloons can launch. The weather Saturday wasn’t good enough for the balloons to launch. I cooked a nice breakfast and we all got ready for the raffle. We all got excited about the items to be raffled off, so we all went and bought more tickets. Right before the raffle we moved our tent and fire pit to the raffle site in excitement. Our crew won big! I won a engine case and the vintage Sears Allstate trailer. The trailer is not complete, but it’s a excellent platform to start on. After the raffle our crew was on cloud nine. I got a ride to Flaps and bought a tongue and a ball to tow the trailer home. We ate steaks and then The rain came again. Miles and I waited it out and then headed back to the party at the Museum.

Everyone was up early Sunday in anticipation of the Balloons launching. Around 7:30 AM the balloons got to go ahead to launch. Balloon park was north of us and the wind was blowing south, which meant all the balloons flew right over the event. It was so cool to see! After that we all started packing up to hit the road home. I got everything all put away, the trailer all set up, said by to the crew and Miles and I headed north. The bus pulled the trailer with ease and I actually think it drive better towing the trailer then it does hauling the weight. Temps were spot on and the mileage stayed same. I’m gonna rebuild the trailer and set it up to fit my needs, but I think it’s gonna be a game changer for me. On the way home my speedometer started going wonky and quit working, so I’m gonna have to put a new cable in it. Always something when your maintaining 2 ACVWs.

Trip stats:
Total miles: 425
Mpg: 20
Oil consumption: 0
Mechanicals: broken speedometer cable
Fun times had: ♾

My raffle winnings: Sears Allstate trailer, single relief case and a big swag bag!

Peryl sportin’ her new trailer, all loaded up and ready for the road!

Great pics as usual Rich and nice score on the trailer. They are a game changer as they leave your Bus uncluttered and are hardly noticeable when driving.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

On the road to BBB in Lake Havasu, woot woot!!! We are staying in Flagstaff tonight.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

One of these years I'd love to come down to that. Been there a few times in my teenage years when my grandparents used to snowbird there.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Made it to Flagstaff, got 21.5 MGPs. Holla!

Having a great time racing the Splittys, even with my trailer!

Damn, the beer is good here and the bootys too!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Downtown lCamping

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in Peryl, a ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

We made it safely! I’m number 50 in line.

The bus did awesome towing the trailer. 548 miles and I’m Stoked on getting 21.5 MPG!!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: