Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AH vs AM transaxle - any difference apart from the obvious?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: AH vs AM transaxle - any difference apart from the obvious? Reply with quote

I've got two transaxles and I was planning to put the strongest one back in the car, unless there's no difference internally apart from the ring and pinion.

One's an AH gearbox (so 4.125 diff) with no reverse switch

The other's an AM (4.375) with reverse switch.

Since it's going to be used with an EV motor (so all torque available from 0 rpm) I'm tempted to put in the AM since that'll put less strain on the internal components (lower ratio means there will be less resistance), but if the AH is stronger I'll obviously go with that.

I can't find any details about differences between the AH and the AM, so if anyone's got any thoughts, it'd be great to know. Thanks Smile
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: AH vs AM transaxle - any difference apart from the obvious? Reply with quote

4:12 is stronger than the 4:37. 3:88 is stronger than the 4:12. With all that instant torque, I would think the higher(lower number) ratio would be what your looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: AH vs AM transaxle - any difference apart from the obvious? Reply with quote

Just checked the casings - they've got identical part numbers and are the 'twin diff cover' type, so aside from the diff crownwheel are identical internally. And I know the AH is a decently quiet box since I've driven with that one fitted, whereas the AM is more of an unknown quantity - apparently it was good when last used 10 years ago. Also the 4.125 ratio seems a better match for the motor's "power band", if 4th is used as an overdrive.

Might as well swap over the rear cover if possible so I get the reverse switch on the AH gearbox, and stick to that since neither is going to last longer than the other, and better the devil you know...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: