Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Hillbery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33 Reply with quote

Hi, Does anyone have an assembly manual for a Carrington LN-33 kit car? any help appreciated, Thanks Mike
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravinsomniac wrote:
Very cool... BTW, I think the first VW kit cars were the LaDawri Quest Q.T., Thor and Alken. [/quote]

Never heard of those. What body style did they replicate ?
There were literally hundreds of body styles made in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Most never caught on, but today, when you see a nice one at a car show, there's usually a crowd around it, asking what it is.
And the funny thing,
there's usually a high dollar Corvette or Mustang sitting nearby and the owner of that car is really pissed off because nobody asks about his car.
Wink[/quote]

It is interesting that you ask what these vehicles replicated. They didn't replicate anything that came before. They may have been influenced but very few looked like a replica of anything. Go to Undiscovered Classics for more examples. A number of bodies could have been made to fit the full size VW chassis. The ALKEN was made to fit the full size chassis and it was very unique looking. The ALKEN was produced in 1958 and not many were made. Unlike many early kit cars the ALKEN was truly a complete body with internal bulkheads and complete weathertight wheel wells. It was factory assembled from all of the individual moldings to make a complete and rigid body. With a bit of ingenuity it could have been made to mount the VW drive train and not use the VW chassis at all. You can see a brochure at Undiscovered Classics. Many of the other fiberglass bodies that were produced that were designed for a 95.5 inch wheelbase could have been used as a VW replacement body. The earliest fiberglass "kit car" was made in 1952. See the Porsche patent for a unitized synthetic body for a Porsche sports car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravinsomniac wrote:
Smyrnaguy,
Florida Laws are a lot more relaxed down here than many other States. Headlight requirements are, "no lower than 12" on center, and no closer than 24" on center."
My projection headlights are the same as standard production cars, but they are recessed, which is legal, I checked first. The lower driving lamps just squeaked by at the minimum height requirements. Florida does not have a yearly Vehicle State Inspection, like other States do. Your car is inspected by a Mechanic when you buy it and that's it. However, a cop will pull you over, if you are riding on bald tires, or if you have a light out, but that's about it. A few years back, they started that"Click it or Ticket" Law, so seat belts are required.
Twenty five years ago, I built a home made, street legal, VW rail buggy. It had no body and looked just like a big go-cart. I made it out of regular steel water pipe with a 1/8" thick steel plate floor. A windshield was not required, but you had to wear glasses. Headlights and taillights were required, but turn signals were not. You could use hand signals for turning. My horn was an antique style, rubber squeeze ball type, which was legal. I'm sure if I drove it 10 feet across the Florida border, I would have been busted for something.

Actually, the headlight height regulation is a NHTSA requirement for manufactures. In addition there are other NHTSA stipulations on height of tail lights as well as marker lights so oncoming traffic will recognize your vehicle as an automobile. So, your vehicle body was never intended for the street. If it was it would have had the headlight pods at least 22 inches above the road surface. You would have much better visibility if the headlights were at least 22 inches above the road surface. You could probably use the same lights but they would need to be higher than they are now. In addition, do not ever drive the car on Federal land or you could be stopped and have the car confiscated.
tac422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33 Reply with quote

Mike Hillbery wrote:
Hi, Does anyone have an assembly manual for a Carrington LN-33 kit car? any help appreciated, Thanks Mike

Ken Neithken of Neithken Associates (540) 337-1777 may have something. He was the last producer of the kits.
If you have specific questions, I might be able to help as I've owned one.
McLela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for a assembly manual for the Carrington LN-33 kit car? The cars were built by David & Nancy Gray in Florida in the early 1980's. Any help appreciated, Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: