Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

A lot of the cars on BAT are being sold by dealers. The trend is more and more towards buying on line or over the phone. It's the times and It gives people the opportunity to shop a much larger inventory. Unfortunately, buyers are at a big disadvantage in today's market. Some buyers are very trusting and sellers can be experts at deception. If anybody knows how to evaluate a car, it's dealers but many of them will give as little information as possible and lie when it's to their advantage, which is often. I know there are some reputable sellers so I'm not lumping them all together. One of the the things I like about BAT is the conversation about the details. It's not about the people making the comments, its about the opportunity to hear different view points about the the photos and the sellers comments.
BAT offers a way to vet a car and that's what's important for buyers. If someone makes an incorrect or an unfair comment about a car, others will chime in and offer a rebuttal. If Sellers don't like the process, there's other ways to sell online.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LBSEA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My first car was a 1970 Ghia (my dad bought it new in 1969). What are your thoughts on this Ghia?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-7/#comments-anchor

thanks!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

LBSEA wrote:
Hi everyone,

My first car was a 1970 Ghia (my dad bought it new in 1969). What are your thoughts on this Ghia?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-7/#comments-anchor

thanks!

I posted some comments, but In short this is a nicely done mild custom with a nod to stock. Metal work, body and paint are way above average for a Ghia. If you like the color combination this would be a car to buy.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
LBSEA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Thanks a ton.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

I haven't seen this Ghia in person but I've met the owner when selling him parts. He's a good guy and really into Ghias. This one had paint and body done at Apache restorations in RI. If you look at their website they've tons of VW's and muscle cars. They do amazing work there. So if your concern is buying a Ghia with hidden rust and shoddy body work you don't have to worry about this one. You could nit-pic any Ghia to death with the small details but that's part of the fun for the next owner to play around with to bring it to bone stock.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

LBSEA wrote:
Hi everyone,

thanks!

Woah, I'm very interested to see where this one ends up. It's really similar to the car I'm building. One year older, a shade darker blue, slightly less performance upgrades...but very similar otherwise.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cgirlamo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Hey guys, im the seller and thanks for the comments. I started with a very solid, original candidate out of CA and it came out great. Im surprised how she moves with an original 40hp 6 volt. Ive also learned that if you stick with 6 volt you have to get your grounds right. Im still fiddling with it, but its a great one. There are so few of these pre-67 ghias left! Nice to save as many as we can.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

cgirlamo wrote:
Hey guys, im the seller and thanks for the comments. I started with a very solid, original candidate out of CA and it came out great. Im surprised how she moves with an original 40hp 6 volt. Ive also learned that if you stick with 6 volt you have to get your grounds right. Im still fiddling with it, but its a great one. There are so few of these pre-67 ghias left! Nice to save as many as we can.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-...2022-09-22

I hope the serious bidders are holding out till the end because it's certainly not close at the current $12k bid to being anywhere near what it's worth IMO.
My gut says you should meet your reserve and then some Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
cgirlamo wrote:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-...2022-09-22

I hope the serious bidders are holding out till the end because it's certainly not close at the current $12k bid to being anywhere near what it's worth IMO.
My gut says you should meet your reserve and then some Cool

$22,500 no sale.
This was a neither nor car.
It doesn’t have stock appeal because of the Sewfine interior, yet it’s not radical enough of a custom to attract that crowd. It has a 40hp and the interior is stock like looking.
I know it sounds petty but I think the crooked bumpers, missing license plate light trim, saggy front seat upholstery all hurt the bidding. People who pay top dollar want a turnkey car, not an unfinished project.
The pictures were also uninspiring. BAT audience likes flashy picture with scenic backgrounds that sell an image.
I bet if the owner were to truly finish the car, meaning iron out the details and have a big engine built for it, put wheels on it and performance tires it would at least draw out the custom crowd. Or conversely go with a stock style TMI interior and keep the 40hp. You gotta make a choice when it comes to marketing a car like this.
Either way look at for example 911Rs pictures and get some ideas of locations to sell the car. The bones of that car are fantastic, it’s one of the few that are pan off and had very good metal work done as well as body and paint. Done right it should be a possibly $40k car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
cgirlamo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

I'm not going for 40k and I've always liked what Chris Vallone (one of the best out there) does with Sewfine, not low quality TMI material. In terms of custom, the only custom thing on this is the color of the interior, otherwise all stock, so we are not making this huge leap to custom (admittedly the interior is a big part, but we haven't lowered it and all of that). A black TMI interior, and half a day aligning the front bumper and adding chrome trim would not have sold it, and definitely not for 40. It was fun - we don't need to sell and will keep it and enjoy it, just testing the market and if someone was going to be serious they could have had it. My next project is a 64 sedan, have to figure out what direction to take that one.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

I was expecting the car to bid at least to $30k. For people that truly know Ghias, and how expensive paint and bodywork is, that would've been a serious deal even at that price.

I don't know that the interior really held it back. IMO, it's a better looking interior than a "stock" TMI, and personally I'd rather have those blue and white Sewfine seat covers than plain TMI vinyl even if they're not technically correct. Maybe if it had been blue houndstooth for the fabric insert, that would've been a step above.
Honestly I think it was the numerous small finishing details that held it back: missing quarter window trim, missing license light trim, missing sun visors, side molding not properly lined up, doors not flush, globs of grease left on the front beam, sled tins not attached properly, and of course the bumpers. A few hours work of drilling the holes for the bumper ends and aligning them before the pics were taken would've gone a long way. I think when the discussion of the bumpers hit, it kind of stalled the auction.
With so many small things left unfinished, as a buyer one might start to wonder what else that isn't visible still needs to be taken care of.

But I agree with Braukuche about the photos. What 911r does is magic. I remember when he was selling cars on ebay before BAT existed, and even back then his photos were instantly recognizable.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That '65 vert that sold back in August is now on ebay at 2x the price

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-4/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275464900148?hash=item402...R6zostnuYA

Previously owned:
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

This "Collector" is selling some of his collection to make room for new acquisitions! Apparently the seller doesn't hang on to his collectible cars very long. Maybe a more accurate word is "inventory"? No signs that any of the problems discussed on BAT have been addressed.

Description says "53,811 LOW MILES" ? BAT auction said "Actual mileage unknown".
I'm surprised to see a feedback of 100%.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

This "Collector" is selling some of his collection to make room for new acquisitions! Apparently the seller doesn't hang on to his collectible cars very long. Maybe a more accurate word is "inventory"? No signs that any of the problems discussed on BAT have been addressed.

Description says "53,811 LOW MILES" ? BAT auction said "Actual mileage unknown".
I'm surprised to see a feedback of 100%.

It's a real shame this didn't end up in the hands of a qualified restoration shop.
The BAT sale was low enough that a full and proper restoration could have been easily justified.
Now the flipper is asking almost $30k. That makes the resto argument more difficult.
I just hope this beauty doesnt end up in KG purgatory Crying or Very sad

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

It's back!
1971 EV Conversion
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-24/

Mike Gerson

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Might be nostalgia worthy in a decade.
Not sure how many holes are punched into the body.
If I bought it, I’d return it to gasoline. 40 mile range is a death blow.
I’m out in mine a good 6 hours at a time covering more than 100 miles.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

1974 Coupe
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-30/

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1974 Coupe
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-30/

Someone pointed out it’s the third youngest Ghia on the road, it would be nice if someone did it correctly.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

1970 convertible
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-18/

The BAT gallery is showing some love.

Mike Gerson

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1970 convertible
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-18/

The BAT gallery is showing some love.
I suppose it's a nit, but a rubber seal under the hood emblem shouldn't be overlooked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 112

Jump to: