Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I usually spend most of my time over on Pelican Parts, as I have an '87 Porsche 911 Carrera. However, I recently purchased a '77 Type II Westfalia that has been sitting in a barn for the last 17 years.

Here she was after pulling it out of the barn and popping the top:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche has a PDF called a PET for basically every car they ever produced. That PET is a parts manual that shows exploded diagrams of each system and the corresponding part numbers of each part in that system. It's VERY useful when ordering parts.

I can't seem to find anything quite like that for a '77 VW. Is there such a thing? Or does ordering VW bus parts not work this way? I did find a fairly garbage parts manual for model years '58-'67. I will obviously be replacing all seals, fuel system, etc, so will be buying parts...

Also, my '87 911 shares many of the same parts and service procedures as 911's going all the way back to '74. The service manual that shows how to remove the rear suspension on a '74 is virtually identical to that of my '87. Is the bus this way?

I have already purchased the Bentley book and the VW Transporter Restoration Manual. I also have a very old copy of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive.

Any other newbie guidance you have for me would be much appreciated!

Matt
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

welcome.

First yes. We do have parts fiches. The parts are no longer available from dealers so we get creative tracking them down. Many repro parts are crap these days so each one has to be investigated.

Using "search" then putting the radio dot in Search topic title and message text will be a big friend here. Set the forum to Bay. There are 1073 matches for the word "fiche." The second thread has this in it from yesterday. Your bay is a late bay.

SGKent wrote:
John - there are several fiches for early and late bays. There is a small learning curve, but it is not that bad. The one thing you will find is that you just can't call parts and ask the dealer if they have one. Lots of times the part may be online by name, or it may be online via part number. It can be hard sometimes to even know what to ask for. You won't regret learning how to use the fiche.

For a 1972 these two sites will help you

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html

This covers later bays but has some parts that are laid out by early and late. You click on a part to go to the page with the numbers. It may show like before <<<< VIN , or after VIN >>>>> etc. http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t200100.html

Jersey Looker is maintained by a member here. He also has a late bay page. Another party just started an early bay fiche page also. Some members get an ETKA CD. The good thing about the early bay fiche, is that most part numbers are there. VW drops the numbers when the part is no longer available so later fiche and ETKA may be missing a lot of part numbers.

If you are going to own an antique car, best to know these sites. They show assemblies in a way that you can see whether you have the right parts or not.

You also want to be aware that on a type 4 engine, if you have not worked on one before and you may have, the oil strainer nut is 9ft lbs only. More will break the internals of the engine and require a lot of work and welding. Good luck with your bay. It doesn't look dusty enough for 17 years so I hope it was covered, and you know its history. We have a plethora of people who flip them then say it has been sitting a long time. You will be welcome here. This is really the best place to ask Bay questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

That thing looks really clean - nice find!!!!

And welcome!
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

The last date of registration on the license plate is from 2005. It was a CA bus (imported to the U.S. in CA), and found its way to Minnesota about 2000. Per the service records it came with, it has had a replacement engine and gearbox about 8,000 miles ago.

It has had a respray in the past, but a pretty good quality one. Very little rust on the body - only under the bay window itself. Can't find any bondo anywhere, just surface rust on the underside.

It doesn't run, even though they insisted it had been running just days earlier (no chance). Everything on it is original. It even has grandma's plastic on the front seats just like the couch you grew up sitting on!

Any recommendations on where I can get good seals for the windows and camper, as well as replacement canvas and new cushions? For my 911 the aftermarket seals are garbage - you have to use the ones directly from Porsche to get a good seal.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Those seat covers are freakin' AWESOME! Razz

Sadly unlike Porsche VW doesn't give 2 shits about their old stuff, I haven't bought seals in a few years myself, but there are issues with some suppliers making them really stiff and nearly impossible to install.
The Samba has a fairly good search function, either through the site, or using Google. Since you are new I'll pull up a few for you so you can do some reading and decide for yourself what suits your needs.

Window seals: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Window rubbers: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Seat covers plaid: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Canvas: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Congratulations, that's a fairly decent looking bus, nice score! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Those seat covers are freakin' AWESOME! Razz

no shit. that was my first thought

nice find. all i find in barns is sadness and future regret

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Beware the bit of rust under the windscreen. That’s usually a welding job as the lip is usuallytoast , once it shows.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Beware the bit of rust under the windscreen. That’s usually a welding job as the lip is usuallytoast , once it shows.

Noted!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

The Bentley is the go to book for us, however I do like the Haynes manual as well. I also carry the Idiot book, however I haven’t looked at it since the 90s.
’65 Deluxe Build
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

The first tip I will give you is to be smarter than the person selling you the part they say fits. Don't feel bad when they send what they said fit and it dose not fit or even go to that model. Sourcing parts sucks balls. There is no 1 go to, you will need to use 15 different vendors to get all the parts you need.

New dosen't mean good or quality. Parts that can be rebuilt should be sent out to a known rebuilder. Things like calipers, boosters, starters...

Type IV's are the reason Skillz hates 90% of people...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Basic rule. Unless a part comes off the bus as a bucket of rust, if its original it is likely to be in better shape than a replacement in 5 years time.

Do not go replacing stuff just because it is available new.

So keep all original parts, repair, restore if possible.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

I definitely agree with previous statements. I'm an anti-hoarder, but I never throw away any old VW parts. Even when things have broken, they still serve the purpose of having an original to compare used parts or repro parts.

A recent story I've told is that my horn contact ring had been partially worn away. I felt it was safe to buy a new, repro contact ring from a well known vendor. The mounting holes did not align to the steering wheel! I found a good one on another Bus and it works just fine. So, new doesn't equal better or in some cases, even adequate.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

FWIW, back to the original question, the VW classic parts site now has fiches too. Actually seems to work much better than the parts search does...

All models:
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_uk/service/spare-part-catalogues.html

Bay:
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalogues/TransporterT2/html5.html#/2
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and guidance so far, everyone!

In short, I got sick and tired of waiting for the shop that had my bus to do anything with it - it's been sitting for 4 months.

Sooo, I decided that if I want it done I need to do it all myself, so that's my plan. For the second time in 5 months the bus took a ride on a flatbed, but this time to my house.

In the meantime, I've been reading up on the bookmarked Transporter stickies to get familiar with the FI system, what is where in the engine compartment, and so on.

One question I haven't been able to figure out is which distributor I have. My engine is NOT the original engine on this bus, but it is a GD code engine. From what I have read there are multiple versions of the 009 distributor which impacts which cap, rotor, and points I get. I clearly have the vacuum advance flavor. Can someone tell me where the part number is located?

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

that is like the perfect find ,dude!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

That’s a nice find. There will be some people who will scare you into a budget of $35000…I just want to scare you on a cheap thing

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

I agree, those hoses and cheapo clamps give me the jeebs!, keep a bag of marshmallows in the glove box, they'll come in handy while waiting for the fire trucks to arrive.
That distributor looks correct(ish) for the era, and don't go by the shroud number alone, the real number and prefix is stamped in the case between the shroud and breather tower. But none of that actually makes a difference, since you suspect it's a mish mash of stuff the number on the distributor is all you really need for ignition parts and timing specs. Some more pics of all the engine and fuel system components will help narrow down the year of the system and it's particular need.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

welcome. nice bus. since you have a ‘77, this might come in handy. it does for me.

the last link is to a pdf of the whole parts fiche. i’ve a copy on my computer, and i use it often. thanks to jerseylooker.

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

I agree that it looks like you have the correct distributor for your year. Be aware that Bosch parts aren't what they used to be. I personally am running Echlin ventilated points at present and am happy with them.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Intro and Looking for Parts Manuals and Guidance Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
Sooo, I decided that if I want it done I need to do it all myself, so that's my plan.

definitely get a bentley manual. i’ve not seen the haynes, but if rich says it’s useful, then it is. muir’s book is for beginners with some ingenious work-arounds mixed in (in my humble opinion).

with the bentley and haynes and with the archived knowledge herein, plus the help of the guys who’ve already responded to you, you’ll be ready for anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: