Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stever1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

I just bought this standard beetle and the trunk lid is stuck with a broken cable. Unfortunately, there is a spare tire in the trunk and even though I've opened the access port below, I can't seem to move the tire out of the way. Has anyone ever done this in a standard beetle?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Cut the hood handle off.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stever1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Cutting the handle off will be my last resort. I want to exhaust all other possibilities first. It may seem a waste of time, but I don't want to destroy the original handle if I can figure out another way. Right now I'd like to see if it's even possible to move the spare tire.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Is the cable broken at the latch or is it the pull lever is not working as in floppy at the glove box? If the cable is still attached to the latch and the glove box is kind of ugly I would trash the glove box and pull the cable.

Spare cannot be lifted out of the way, with the spare in place drilling a small acces hole in the right wheel well to slip a stiff wire pull in from is also out.

Not a lot of options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stever1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Cable must be broke at the latch. I'm able to get to the cable from just inside the radio opening and pull on it with no effect. Sounds like you're certain the spare can't be moved? I had tried moving it from the access hole behind, but no luck.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Stever1 wrote:
Cutting the handle off will be my last resort. I want to exhaust all other possibilities first. It may seem a waste of time, but I don't want to destroy the original handle if I can figure out another way. Right now I'd like to see if it's even possible to move the spare tire.

Why? Hood handles aren't all that uncommon -- you can find both original German NOS and/or good used ones fairly easily. And there are good instructions in the orange Bentley shop manual on how to cut and remove it.

All that said, you might still be able to move the spare tire around a bit from the outside, via manipulation thought the various access holes in the front. However, the covers and securing fasteners for all those holes are generally accessed from inside the trunk area - don't know how you could easily remove any of them from the outside - ? And it's been my experience that the spare tire is often wedged fairly tightly into the spare wheel well - usually a two-handed affair, involving a bit of muscle flex, to remove them in the first place. Trying to get one like that to budge through those little access holes? Hmmm -- good luck...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stever1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

Good points. I guess I'm just being stubborn in not wanting to cut the handle. I've seen some references of people able to move the tire, but mine seems wedged in pretty tight. I'm going to give it one more try this weekend and if not successful, off comes the handle.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

I've tried it all, cut the handle.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: broken cable to '77 beetle trunk hood Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
I've tried it all, cut the handle.

Applause

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: