Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight part number questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

This might get added to the headlight thread, dunno, but hopefully not until after my question is answered. Briefly, Took my bus apart 26-27 years ago (added that for shock value lol), didn’t pay any attention to side specificity of the assemblies. I added H4s, knowing they’re legally a gray area but buses have weak lights, so I did it and thought wtf. Headlights aren’t very good and I don’t think it’s a bad adjustment. Drain holes are in the bottom but that’s the ring.
Wondering if the light assemblies might be side-specific, I looked through my pics, my assemblies are original to The bus, based not just on my 30.+ year ownership, but on the date codes. Each bucket has a different part number. To me that screams side specificity. Any knowledgeable replies appreciated
211.931.037A Z 15
211.931.038A Z 21
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

Warded wrote:
This might get added to the headlight thread, dunno, but hopefully not until after my question is answered. Briefly, Took my bus apart 26-27 years ago (added that for shock value lol), didn’t pay any attention to side specificity of the assemblies. I added H4s, knowing they’re legally a gray area but buses have weak lights, so I did it and thought wtf. Headlights aren’t very good and I don’t think it’s a bad adjustment. Drain holes are in the bottom but that’s the ring.
Wondering if the light assemblies might be side-specific, I looked through my pics, my assemblies are original to The bus, based not just on my 30.+ year ownership, but on the date codes. Each bucket has a different part number. To me that screams side specificity. Any knowledgeable replies appreciated
211.931.037A Z 15
211.931.038A Z 21

Odd, i.e. “037A” is driver side, while even is passenger if memory serves me. This is true for other parts as well.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

See the link at bottom of this webpage for the later "type 2 parts reference manual":

http://www.oacdp.org/aboutdoc.html

Take a good gander at that manual soon!! Lots of pretty exploded diagrams, almost complete listing of parts used in the type 2, what chassi to what chassi used, AND how many pieces required. In other words a treasure trove of info you really should go thru to find out not only for the question of how many of those part you need, but dozens and dozens of questions you will have in the future or even ones you will never come up with if you do not take your time and go thru the info in this manual over and over.

Plus with the info in there you can use the part numbers or description to do searches for parts in many VW suppliers websites like WW.

For instance "211-931-037A".

First three numerals tells you what type of VW the part was designed originally for. "211" the "2" means type 2, if it was a "1" instead it would have been designed as a type 1 part originally. The next two digits "11" tells you which model it was originally for which was "VW delivery van (double door right, LHD)".
If it was say a "261" it would be for type 2 single cab LHD, etc..

The next three part numbers in that part you posted is "931", the first "9" means it would be in section 9 that covers the electrical system parts.

The remaining "31-037" is the actual part number!

The "A" means it was the first improved over the original part which would not have had a letter prefix. Later improvements in the same part would result in "B", "C", etc..

Lastly if one has a pair of parts, check the last number digit of the nine digit part number. Odd last number means left hand driver side, even last number passenger side.

The Z 15 & Z 21 are manufacture date codes. "Z" being the year and the numerals the week of that year.
Warded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

What I may have failed to allude to, and what wasn’t answered was my question, does the side specificity of the headlight part numbers effect headlight function? Does putting a light on the wrong side make it impossible to get the best headlight adjustment and beam output?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

Warded wrote:
What I may have failed to allude to, and what wasn’t answered was my question, does the side specificity of the headlight part numbers effect headlight function? Does putting a light on the wrong side make it impossible to get the best headlight adjustment and beam output?

VW would not make two different part numbers if it did not make a difference.

The alignment ring that locks each headlight bulb into place has three tabs to lock the alignment ring in properly.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

My lights are stamped “rechts” = right and “links” = left

In German.

Look closely for markings, bulbs won’t index in right fixture and vice-versa.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight part number questions Reply with quote

Here is an original pair of headlights.

The items with one piece of tape are identical on both.
The items with two pieces of tape are side specific.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: