Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thrown together weekend rebuilds?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

Everyone has had someone walk up to them at a show, cruise or in the pits, and tell you their VW memories. One of them is pulling the engine and rebuilding it in the driveway and putting it back in. Who admits to doing this or has their opinion on what was actually being accomplished?
Was it:
-top end only rebuild?
-split the case and replace all the easy bearings, leaving the flywheel and gears intact
-or legit, press off the gears big wrench the gland nut off and replace all serviceable part?

My buddy once told me, him and his friends would look for a semi automatic engine. The theory is that it’s not as abused. Split the case put a race cam in and go racing.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I've done a last minute cam/lifter, compression change and head swap in an unlit enclosed trailer the night before a race, all good used parts. Used a flashlight. Got it back in the car the same night it came out, literally turned it over till it fired and ran for a about 2 seconds, then shut it off. Actually drove it for the first time at the race track the next day. Good times.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I gotta have nice lighting if I am gonna stay up all nite working on a motor. 8-foot lighting is very nice!

If all the parts are cleaned and the main parts are pre-assembled, closing the case ain't that big a deal.

One hour should be plenty drying time before fire-up. I like to run the motor outside the car and do all of its tuning. It is just simpler working on the motor outside the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

Oil pump (swap in a 26mm)
Cam/lifters
Bearings
Gasket set
Piston/cylinder kit

Done a couple of these on an upside down bucket, borrowed an impact to get the gland nut off, and rented a puller to get the timing gear off.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I’m sure some of these stories are from the 70’s when beetle were $50 and JC Whitney ruled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I did a few "rings and bearings" rebuilds in the 80's. Jack handle over the breaker bar to get the gland nut off, and a torch on the gear set to get it off. You know if you hang the crank pulley side down the gears usually drop off when they get hot? Oh, and a new main seal too....
The local shop would r&r heads for $70 each if needed.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I rebuilt my first engine at 14 on my parents garage floor

$250 kit from JC Whitney included:

New 87mm Cima/Mahle piston/cylinder kit
All new bearings: mains, rod, cam
Full Gasket set, pushrod tubes, etc
New valves, springs, bronze guides

I also bought their Stage 2 cam and lifters for $59.99

Crank turned, flywheel resurfaced, and heads rebuilt by local machine shop

I was ignorant of deck height, ring gaps, end play, compression ratio calculation, rocker geometry, etc 😅

Engine ran great all thru high school and then I sold it to buy my 67
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

383 SBC stroker (bottle fed), tore down Sat evening, machine shop Monday morning, reassembled next Saturday overnight super sauced on Courvoisier. Drag raced 1/8th in the low 5s the following Friday. 65' Chevy II Nova in storage for next twelve years..

Not the same as acvw.. but whatever Surprised
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I've done two quick (separate cars separate motors) teardown to shortblock, new p's and c's and heads and build back to complete and go, in apartment living rooms. A type 3 and type 3 change over to upright. completely ignorant of compression ratios etc, young dumb and broke, need to get to work Monday kind of deal Laughing
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

This is memory lane for me.
I’ve taken the first engine in my ‘71 Ghia all the way down twice in the driveway.
First time was when I lived in Tampa. Had a nice lean to with a sand floor.
Acquired some milk crates and a piece of plywood for a bench and some plastic things to wash parts in.
Reason?- To change cam and heads with 88 slip ins and a new carb.
Didn’t do anything to the crank and rods except keep them clean. Didn’t even change the bearings. Did it in one day. Check what? Things are supposed to just fit, right?
It was a 1679 and it worked out well and ran for a long time.

The second time was prompted by moving from Tampa to Atlanta.
I had restored a ‘70 Ghia and swapped the engine and transaxle from the ‘71 into that for the move. The ‘71 was abandoned. I took the glass, steering column, wiper motor assembly and some other parts and left an extremely beat up and rusty shell. Not my proudest moment.
Made it just north of Macon and the #2 rod bearing gave up.
I was staying at my parents temporarily but having to rework the engine prolonged that a bit. At least it was a carport so not a sand floor.
Since there was machine work being done anyway, I opened the case for 94s and built a 1915. That was back in the NOPI era.
Minus the waiting time for the machining, I did that in two days.

That ran for a while but then my employer gave me a company car and the Ghia got parked. Parked for 12 years. When I tried to start it I really didn’t do my due diligence. It had oil in it. 12 year old oil! It did start but only ran a couple of minutes. Then it was struggling to turn over. Very stiff even with a wrench.
Mains were scored.

So now I have a proper garage but the new engine is covered in my thread.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

Had a girlfriend who needed a car and we found a ‘68 beetle for a grand..
This in about 1993.
Car had 85k on the clock but was beat.
It ran, but needed everything because it had never been apart.

We drove it the two hours up to my friend Charlie’s in Ft. collins on a Friday night and had the motor out that night.
Went to Vrba’s Saturday morning with our list:
Clutch/PP/throwout
Master cylinder/wheel cylinders/flex lines
Carb kit/filter/hoses
Muffler tips/exhaust gaskets
Cap/rotor/points/plugs/wires
Trans mounts, shift bushings, coupler
Axle boots/wheel bearings
Etc etc.

Cleaned up the long block, torqued heads, started getting it back together.
Sunday morning we talked Brian Vrba into opening back up for us for stuff we missed.
It got so late Sunday night that the sun was coming up.
Charlie had to get cleaned up to go to work,
We cleaned up the shop and finished up and drove back to Denver in time for work.
I was a bit late…

Car sang a sweet sweet song all the way home.
Drove like a brand new car.
We completely re-did all the major mechanical subsystems in one weekend.

What’s That Noise?!?
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

Late hippy era we could rely on cases that weren't on their seventh line bore.

Memorable top ender:

This one was for the lovely Karen from Connecticut. I met Karen at a New England swap meet this time of year decades ago. Good times! Karen where are you now?

I was heading north after another swap meet, maybe Atco? The plan was to breeze in, assemble Karen's top end and then head north. I don't remember if the motor was out or if I had to pull it. Karen had new heads and pushrod tubes. I had any number of gasket sets in the truck. Bad news: No pistons and cylinders. New England ain't SoCal. No pistons and cylinders to be had on a weekend.

Except:

Norbert's up in Northampton had a set of honed and re- ringed Kolbenschmidts on his shelf. Kinda expensive but what you gonna do? Norbert was in his grumpy VW mechanic phase at that point, dwindling business through the door as less and less aircooleds were used as daily transportation. Karen and I told Norbert about the Litchfield show that was coming up in a week or so. A week or two later we saw Norbert at Litchfield with a trailer full of parts he was converting into a fist full of cash.

Anyway, we got back to Connecticut. I did the top end / re- seal and re- installed Karen's motor in Karen''s Bug. I must have fallen asleep under it. I woke up in the middle of the night and klunked my head on the underside of the motor. I don't think I made it into the house at all. Got my sleep on a slab of cardboard under a VW.

Old VW started up and ran just fine on its top end break- in.

Like Lou Reed said,

"Start of a new adventure."

As in same cars, different people.

Or even better:

"Ridin' in a Stutz Bearcat

Those were different times."

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I replaced a rod bearing without opening the case once. Not real sure if i even took the engine out of the car. It was on a 1200, and drove it with that engine for 3 years before switching to a turbo 1600.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I was waiting for some hippie stories. Good stuff.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
I was waiting for some hippie stories. Good stuff.

So many stories from back in the day. You could buy an old VW for chump change and drive it from New York to L.A.. If it broke down there was often a garage not too far off the exit that knew about VWs...

Or not. They had pump jockeys back then, guys who would fill your tank and check your oil. Good thing because those old cars routinely used oil.

I swear VW relocated the gas filler from under the hood to on the passenger quarter because so many pump jockeys couldn't find it under the hood. They would lift the engine cover and fill the first hole big enough to accept the nozzle. In other words they would gas up your engine. Happened a lot back then.

Roadside VWs that suffered engine fires were a relatively common sight in the '60s and '70s. Crunchy drivers were oblivious to crunchy hoses until the ass end caught fire.

I guess scrubbing the crud off a burn- out counts as a weekend rebuild. Couple states north of Connecticut, we dragged one home that had lit up pretty good. Rear window burst and the headliner caught fire. If I remember correctly we towed it home Thursday, my buddy cleaned it up Friday and drove it to Terryville Saturday. I must have had a hand in it because I wondered if I tightened the heater box bolts as a drove down. Checked 'em when we got there and they needed tightened.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I'm more of a hillbilly than a hippy!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thrown together weekend rebuilds? Reply with quote

I am part way through a top end rebuild on the driveway for my bus.
This is the second rebuild.on the driveway. The first was a badly worn out engine replaced with a 1979 AS21 never line bored case.

This was a pretty new engine.. AA pistons, EMPi heads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Melted a piston, found a cracked cylinder head the other side.

Garage left end of foam seal so it sucked into the fan. Was pretty well balanced so managed to drive it 3 miles before I was able to stop and clear it. Probably that cracked the head.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then a timing/mixture issue climbing hills at 50-60mph took out a piston. The other three were perfect.

The new EMPI head came with one stainless steel and one steel valve per cylinder, swapped the original stainless valves over.

Oil and head temperatures spiked in a way I had not seen before. About 5 degrees oil, 10 degrees head (use that sensor boss over near exhaust port.) .
Had to drive about three miles spewing oil and smoke to find a layby parking space as there is no hard shoulder on the dual carriageway 2 lanes each way I was driving on and people do 60-70mph in both lanes.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: