Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Hi,

Every trip we have after about 15 mins in the engine starts violently shuddering, you would think it's fuel line related, and eventually it stops.

Yesterday it lasted for about 45 mins. When we stopped and idled the engine it was fine. When I depressed the clutch while driving it seemed fine. When dropping into third it seemed fine.

It has a new tank so now dirty. What's the problem? Any ideas greatfully received.

Thx
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

When was the last time you looked at the sparkplugs? Carb.s or FI?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Change the condenser
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Right then.
Changed fuel filter, not changed plus or looked at them. Will do.
Also will look at the condenser
Thanks for the replies
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

You won't "see" anything wrong on a bad condenser, but you should swap it in pair with new points too. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll have a known-good spare set of points/condenser, which is quite handy.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Gary and Robbie are probably correct on this, but if this is a center mounted carb it could be carb or manifold icing. Moving into fall - 70 - 80F outside and humidity can have a low enough dew point in the air to cause icing. Also a fuel tank cap not venting properly can do the same thing.
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not so sure it could be icing. We have had unusually hot weather here this year. Fuel cap seems tight.
Will def check plugs, points, condenser.
This past weekend, the bus started off well enough, but then sure enough the trouble began on the motorway/freeway some 5 miles in.
This time however when going up a steep hill, after pushing the accelerator/ gas pedal to the floor the bus died. Started again all ok and pretty much carried on until destination.
On the way back same thing, apart from the stalling. I'd drop into third or depress the clutch. Then for 45 mins drove well! Even at near 70mph downhill. Nearly home at 30 mph and it started again.
Will hopefully sort at the weekend.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

You can have carb icing in summer in Florida. Ask me how I know.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

if all else fails, check the coil.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

as fuel leaves the carb jets it cools the air, just like spraying water does on a hot day but more so. If the humidity is right that cooling forms ice out of the water vapor. It can be 105F outside and still get icing in an unheated carb or manifold. Center carbs on T4 engines are rarely heated. Dual carbs get more heat from the heads so they are not prone to it.

The fuel cap tight or loose has absolutely nothing to do whether it is venting or the tank venting system is working. If some wasp plugged the fuel tank vent on an earlier bay with a mud nest, the tank is not going to get air to replace the fuel so the tank gets a vacuum. Or a fuel pump could be weak, or the screen plugged, or you have a bad coil, or a bad connection, or the ignition switch is going out. All anyone here can do is make suggestions where to look based on years of other people with the same problems. If you just go, oh that couldn't apply to me, then you may live with this for a long time - or you may get lucky and find the problem right away. Don't be tempted to spend money throwing solutions at it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Solid or hydraulic lifters?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Morning. Please do remember that when it comes to engines or busses I'm an absolute novice. 😂
All feedback is 100% appreciated. The suggestions and detail that is being provided is awesome.
The whole Icing thing seems above my skill level for now. I'm going to start with replacing plugs, leads, points, condenser. That's prob gonna take me more than a few hours. Coil looks ok I think and from other experts input but will upload a pic.
Another thing I wanted to mention, it has a brand new fuel tank. And mid pandemic I had a severe fuel leak with the pipe just above the carb. Thankfully another enthusiast had a spare piece and it was replaced. Issues have also started since then. Could there be air somewhere?
Rjthj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

Rjthj1 wrote:
Morning. Please do remember that when it comes to engines or busses I'm an absolute novice. 😂
All feedback is 100% appreciated. The suggestions and detail that is being provided is awesome.
The whole Icing thing seems above my skill level for now. I'm going to start with replacing plugs, leads, points, condenser. That's prob gonna take me more than a few hours. Coil looks ok I think and from other experts input but will upload a pic.
Another thing I wanted to mention, it has a brand new fuel tank. And mid pandemic I had a severe fuel leak with the pipe just above the carb. Thankfully another enthusiast had a spare piece and it was replaced. Issues have also started since then. Could there be air somewhere?

STOP!!!!!
Can you identify the carburetor you mentioned in your quote? Figure that out first. You might be surprised. When you add a part. Drive with it if you can. See if that makes a difference. Don’t just slap on five parts and hope for the best. It could be just a cracked or dirty distributor cap. One thing at a time.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

yea, it used to be not as bad to fire the parts cannon, but "new" crap you get these days can just add to your woe. echlin points and condensor i believe are of fair quaility. bosch is bad these days. Seems part makers farm out production to cheapest bidder, and when you tell the parts guy the part was bad out of the box, he says he never had one come back like that! Bull.
always ask here what manufacturer to buy before you shop. you will be surprised what names used to be gold are now crap.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

well we can stop all the carb solutions after seeing that pic. TSII if the ignition parts dont help. Ive also had more than one double relay with old weak coils in them cause erratic and intermittent running. Im not one for shotgun approach, but start with the easiest stuff first (ignition and fuel delivery), and if that doesnt help, onto FI controls. after TSII and relay verified good, check AFM wiper contact area.

welcome to the world of VW fuel injection. Its a P.I.T.A. right now, but resist the urge to rip it out for a carb conversion. Once its rectified, the FI is the way to go with these engines, IMHO of course.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: T2 Type 4 engine shuddering- intermittent Reply with quote

you have a fuel injected engine. Add your location to your sig line or your avatar so we can offer best solutions.

New fuel tank statement concerns me. Hopefully it was a good used one because I think the FI tank reproductions don't have baffles in them. Low fuel levels can cause all sorts of problems of the pump sucking air without an internal FI baffle.

TSII suggestion is a good one too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: