Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaze65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on Reply with quote

I did a search and didn't find someone with the same problem or answers. After going on a long drive I parked my 65 bug for a few weeks. When I tried to drive it my right rear wheel won't budge. I thought it was the wheel cylinder or the brake lines and released some pressure, but it was still stuck. I noticed the right Ebrake cable was still engaged when I released the handle. I tried driving it forward and back and it won't budge. Grabbed the cable with some vice grips yanking it back and forth nothing. Now i'm thinking of cutting the cable behind the drum and start pushing and pulling from there..... I Can not adjust the stars cause the drum is not lining up. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on Reply with quote

Remove the castle nut. Leave the wheel on the drum. Grab the wheel and use the wheel as leverage to pull off the drum. If you are a big guy or can get a big guy to help, it may come off.

If you can’t persuade the drum to come off by manhandling it this way, they make a tool for such occasions.

https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-20-2029-Universal-Hub-Puller/dp/B012P0QV5K

Good luck.
Amaze65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on Reply with quote

Thats a great idea! Thanks!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on Reply with quote

When I'd drive in the rain (back when we got rain in SoCal), if I parked it in the garage and left it for a week, the rust on the drum brake surface would bond the shoes to the drum.

I don't recommend this, but I wheel dollied it to the driveway, revved it up in reverse, and popped the clutch a few times. Broke it loose. Big risk of "breaking" something doing this, but I got away with it.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: E-Brake/Parking Brake stuck on Reply with quote

If you do end up getting the tool, Walmart has it for $35 plus free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TruePower-20-2029-Universal-Hub-Puller/648512550
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: