Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

this is way off topic from the standard VW talk. trying to avoid creating a username on a kia forum for one question. I will try here first.

Have a 2017 Kia Rio. Recently the passenger side fender liner was damaged and needed to be replaced, hardware was ripped out as well. Ordered a new liner, and as expected, it did not come with mounting hardware. I first called the dealership since it was a KIA part, and asked them if they could give me the part numbers and quantities of each that would be needed in order to install said fender liner. They gave me a few part numbers but had no clue how many of each would be needed. To me, that seemed very odd. How does a dealership not know what it takes to install a specific part? I don't get that.

Anyways, I have searched on google and have come up with a couple different diagrams, but it is not clear what is needed to fasten the liner in place.

Anyone have experience in obtaining this type of information?

Here is a diagram that I came across. from what I can tell, it doesn't help me at all.

https://www.kia.parts/oem-parts/kia-fender-liner-868121w500
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

I would go to other side of car, look at what is needed to hold liner on. Go to local parts house.
I have never had ANY luck with dealerships.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

I did that at first. The mounting holes were not the same. I assumed it would have matched fastener hole configuration and possibly actual hardware, but no.

I'll check there.

Thx
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

Unless you get a factory manual with part numbers, or someone at the dealer who is willing to help, they are most likely plastic fasteners, with the pin in the center, or similiar. Autozone, oriellys have many boxes of them
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

Thank you as well. I'll see what I can find there. Will flaps have the diagrams I'm needing?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

The fasteners on the other side will likely be the same. Dorman probably makes an aftermarket replacement hardware you can get on Amazon

At some point, jacking it up and taking the wheel off will be faster than chasing info on the telecom channels
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

found this on ebay if it helps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175095825638?var=0&...gK_r_D_BwE

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

Also ...
If a local parts house isn't much help, call that Kia parts place you listed & ask them what fasteners you will need. It claims "we know our parts" or something.

If that fails walk into a body shop or body shop supplier & ask them.
I've done that but I start with "can I ask you the dumbest question of the week?" to the salesperson. She had pity on me & showed me a most detailed diagram.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

Hopefully, you will find someone who is willing to help. Are you actually a customer of the Kia dealership that you called? Reason why I ask, I am in the HVAC business. If someone were to call out of the blue, who has never been a customer of mine, I would be less apt to help them. I would assume that they are trying to repair something on their own and looking for free help in tracking down part numbers and quantities. Sadly, free help doesn't pay anymore.

So, what I would do in your case, is measure the body holes with a mic to get a diameter and the length should be obvious. I am guessing they are basic plastic push pins. Check the rear liners too. Could be the same. Car manufacturers tend to use as many like parts as possible.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

This can be a problem if the dealership you went to is not "PRIMARILY" a KIA dealership. Its pretty common at a conglomerate or secondary dealership and KIA had a lot of those early on.

Example,...old and example.... when you see dealerships that sell Ford, Mazda and KIA. They are primarily a Ford dealership and have full service, data and parts. Mazda and Ford have had joint projects for many years (though Ford sold all of its Mazda shares in 2015). Back in the 90s you had the Ford Probe which was a Mazda build and they had full parts and schematics.

Kia tended to be kind of a "we also sell these cheaper cars"...step child and they rarely had full parts or schematics. But that was a while ago that KIA was selling in secondary dealers. Kia is doing so well they should have many full dealerships.

I would try another KIA dealer. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

thanks for the input. i will go down the list in hopes that one of these options works for me.

Not a KIA dealership member or anything like that. the car was bought used, not even from the KIA dealer. I might consider the auto body shop. I thought about that first, but didn't know if they'd be willing. I did take my equinox in for some body work prior to trading it in, that was about 4 months ago..I could play that card Laughing
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with 2017 Kia Rio's? Reply with quote

made progress today....failed at the FLAPS, but physically walked in to the KIA dealer. They were more than happy to help this go around. They sell the fasteners in one bag. We should be covered now. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: