Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

After a multiyear restoration our 1974 KG Coupe is running. Remaining work includes installation of trunk and engine lid, glass, carpet, seats, etc… I will have all next week to work on the car so hoping to knock that out and maybe get her on the road, even if it’s just locally…

The drive to our local garage is about three miles. The drive to our local watering hole is about 2 miles. Both are slow roads.

My question is: is there a technique to measure the alignment so I can at least be comfortable driving a couple miles?

When I installed the new steering rods I adjusted them by eye to match the old ones. I can put a level to the steel wheels to ensure they are vertical…

Any other suggestions? Or should I drive her straight to the garage?
Thanks
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

I'd use a tape measure between the front wheels to see if there is a bit of toe in.
put 2 chalk marks on the back of the tyres and measure the distance. roll the car forward till the chalk marks are on the front of the tyres and measure again.
you are hoping the measurement at the front is 1/8" smaller (toe in). if they are the same or 1/8 bigger that is OK, but if it is a lot bigger, say 3/8", I'd adjust the tie rods to get to 0 or a bit of toe in before you drove.
good luck Smile

Last edited by Ian Godfrey on Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

An alternate method I learned from an old timer. To do a rough alignment check with a string . Assuming the front and rear are the same width, you can run a string from the rear to the front and see the toe in.

The string should start at the back of the rear tire and should just touch the front of the rear tire as you bring the string into contact with the rear of the front tire... and then there should be about a 1/8 inch gap at the front. Repeat on other side. That should be good enough to get to the shop.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

Only three miles to the alignment rack?
No worries at all. It’s not like the wheels will fall off or anything.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

Quote:
Only three miles to the alignment rack?
No worries at all. It’s not like the wheels will fall off or anything.

So a two mile trip to the local bar shouldn't be a problem at all..? Smile

Priorities.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a quick way to confirm the car is generally aligned? Reply with quote

Quote:
An alternate method I learned from an old timer. To do a rough alignment check with a string . Assuming the front and rear are the same width, you can run a string from the rear to the front and see the toe in.

The string should start at the back of the rear tire and should just touch the front of the rear tire as you bring the string into contact with the rear of the front tire... and then there should be about a 1/8 inch gap at the front. Repeat on other side. That should be good enough to get to the shop.

Interesting. So the back and front of the rear tire should be in line with the back of the front tire? And then the front of the front tire is 1/8 inboard? Just a bit of toe in?

Thanks.
Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: