Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Pedals
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

I need to purchase new pedals and brake parts for my buggy..

I just bought it and am having trouble finding the correct parts

not much of a fabricator so stock parts would be best for me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

You appear to have a complete set of stock pedals and a single circuit master cylinder.

You will need a drift/punch and hammer to take the pins out, and then also something to pry the tabs back holding the pins in but they can be rebuilt provided the bushings aren’t worn out.

If you have to buy parts beyond the tabs or a bolt or some thing, it adds up quick compared to a refurbished set. I have always rebuilt mine but if you have no fab experience and they are really worn out this is probably the better route, though yours look ok to me and probably can rebuilt with no new parts and just a new master cylinder

https://socalautoparts.com/product-category/interior-parts/pedal-cluster-accessories/
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

Hook the return spring back onto the brake pedal and twist the accelerator pedal to straighten it. What else is wrong with them?

I'm not sure what year your pedals are from, other than before 1967. I find that sometimes looking in the classifieds or in the Samba picture gallery can answer a lot of questions.

Try this link. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

..the brake pedal is stuck down and that brake booster part doesn't seem to work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

My guess is you mean the master cylinder? You don't have a brake booster.

Can you pull the pedal up with your hand? If so, you can repair the pedal return spring and the pedal should come back up. If the pedal is stuck on the shaft you will have to rebuild the pedals. And realize your master cylinder could also be bad. Those 2 things aren't necessarily related. Your car appears to use a bus master cylinder ... pretty common on off road cars.

This is how the spring should be hooked up on your pedals.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

I will work on that .. thanks for the help thus far... i ordered a master cylinder and found some new pedals if needed in the classifieds

I will update in a week or so!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

Usually pedal assemblies don't wear out.... Spray pivots with WD 40 or BP Blaster and work it in and move pedal to loosen.... All the "wet" around assembly indicates MC is shot...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

I feel like most are correct, a new Master Cylinder is needed:
https://www.ssaircooled.com/trw-varga-vw-master-cylinder-single-circuit-22-2mm-211611011jbr

Plenty of youtube videos available on pedal assembly rebuilds or upgrades, you can watch some and see what you need to do with yours to make it operable once again.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

ok, I have the pedals sorted .. but the mc will not come off the bracket .. I took the 2 bolts off the back..

any ideas?

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

BFH!
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
BFH!

I thought about that .. but it looks like its held on by a ring on the inside of the bracket..

ill go hit it a could times and see what happens
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

RUST bond.... BFH.... No lock ring involved....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

got it!!

Thanks!

I ordered a new MC and we will see how that goes..
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

I have the new MC installed .. have not tried them yet, While I was waiting for the part to come in I decided to start replacing other items on the unit .. and until I get seats in it I cant really test them.

The buggy is in rough shape so I am finding myself replacing every wire and almost all the non engine parts.

The list so far

Headlights DONE
Tail lights 50%
Seats 50%
ignition system 75%

Will be adding a winch, lightbar,mirrors, & a top
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

Those pedals are from a 1965 or earlier Bug. They are WAY better than the cheaper 1966+ stamped pedals. I've dealt with a couple or 3 of the later clutch pedal arms that broke off with a stock clutch. The ones you have are forged steel, like an end wrench.

To straighten the throttle pedal, use a Crescent wrench to twist it back to straight. So the roller wheel is aligned like the wheels on the ground. So it rolls fore and aft. It would be good to clean and lube the pivot of that throttle pedal.

The clutch cable being wrapped on the pedal hook is not good unless it gets a thimble installed. The cable will quickly wear through on the edge of the hook. A cable thimble is a piece of metal that fits on the inside of the loop of the cable. Should be able to get one at most any real hardware store. They carry them at my local small town Ace. They come in various sizes to fit the cable. That looks like 3/16" cable.

Any pictures of the overall car?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Those pedals are from a 1965 or earlier Bug. They are WAY better than the cheaper 1966+ stamped pedals. I've dealt with a couple or 3 of the later clutch pedal arms that broke off with a stock clutch. The ones you have are forged steel, like an end wrench.

To straighten the throttle pedal, use a Crescent wrench to twist it back to straight. So the roller wheel is aligned like the wheels on the ground. So it rolls fore and aft. It would be good to clean and lube the pivot of that throttle pedal.

The clutch cable being wrapped on the pedal hook is not good unless it gets a thimble installed. The cable will quickly wear through on the edge of the hook. A cable thimble is a piece of metal that fits on the inside of the loop of the cable. Should be able to get one at most any real hardware store. They carry them at my local small town Ace. They come in various sizes to fit the cable. That looks like 3/16" cable.

Any pictures of the overall car?

awesome! thank you for the info and the ideas.. here is a pic of the buggy .. It is not complete yet .. but close

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

Cool buggy. Looks to be a Berrien frame.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Pedals Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Cool buggy. Looks to be a Berrien frame.

thanks yes.. berrien frame .. that much I do know..I don't know much other than that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: