Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passenger side squeak/rattle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Within the last couple weeks noticing a noise from the passenger front side that sounds like suspension issue. I have checked the bushings on the shock, and all steering components for loose fitting. Also removed the spare tire and assorted spare parts, jack etc.

Noise seems to be triggered by going over bumps, not by turning steering wheel. All fittings in front have been greased as of yesterday.Noise persists; cross between a squeak(suspension?) and rattle(steering?).

Any thoughts?

Could try to post video with sound to maybe localize the issue.

Tom
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

check the rear body mounts by the shocks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also the rear torsion bar bushings
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Noise seems to be in the front right wheel well. I did look for body to chassis mounts but all seemed firm. I will pull front wheels this weekend again and have another look. No signs of wear on any parts. New tie rod put in on driver side two days ago, did not resolve noise problem.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

I sold the 59 Beetle a while back. I have a 56 Oval but haven't worked on it for a vouple years due to Covid and my wifes health. I am driving my 50 Ford truck though.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Just a crazy suggestion.
I had a rattle in the front passenger area for months. Sounded like metal hitting metal over bumps. Couldn’t figure it out.
Then one day after trying everything, I oiled the passenger door hinges. That was it!
Just a suggestion.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Could also be a hood hinge or spring or mount on that side.
What's in the glovebox? Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Jack up the front end. Then grab the wheel by 3 and 9 o’clock. Push in and out Any noise?

Repeat with hands at 12 & 6, again, in and out. Any noise?

Then get a big pry bar, or a good steel rod, slide it under the front tire and lift. What did the tire do? Any noise?

Lug nuts tight?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side squeak/rattle Reply with quote

Sometimes things fall down inside quarter panel where the defroster heat tube resides. I had a rattle and found a bolt down inside there. Also found a knurled nut that holds the wiring cover and a Hazet wrench. This is also an opportunity to clean out that area and clear the drain holes. Check your antennae mount as well. Mine was mounts on the left quarter and did make a little noise. Noises can travel well in these economy cars😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: