Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

There is a Samba vendor that makes a nice cable driven dual carb set-up with pulleys. I even saw where Jake is a big fan. I swear I bookmarked the ad, but as usual I can't find it now.

Anyone have a better memory than me and can hook me up with the link or the dudes name..... something?

Clark
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

Sync-Link! The T1 heater-compatible version is cool. Never used a regular/T4 version.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

that is it..... he might need to ad some KEYWORDS in the ad... Like Carb, linkage, dual, etc.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2169636

Now that I have the name, I found this. A dude installing the kit.

Link

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

Need some help with this.... I thought our awesome Vendor would have built hundreds of these for our Type 4 powered buses.... But it seems that maybe it is not that way.

So, please reply if you have one of these great items on your Late Bay TIV engine.

Would love to see pictures, lots of pictures.

Pete sent me a bracket to test for clearance, it looks like it is gonna be tight around the right rear spark plug. Help me out here...

this is the right side (passenger) the bracket is pointing to the rear of the bus. Pete also sent me a cable to mock up. The top cable mounting point is clear. The bottom hole of the bracket will be tight for sure. Not sure I will get the plug wire off without removing one cable. I found a youtube vid of a guy with a 912 and he is installing the sync-link. According to him, I have the mock up cable wrong. The NOT threaded hole for the cable goes on the btm. I'll fix. Any pix out there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this pic is the 1st one I sent to Pete, he led me to understand that I had it pointing the wrong way. Still waiting on a firm answer. But cant the carb be controlled from the front levers? It will be Pete's wheel that the cable is controlling.

The youtube vid above has the control cable etc.... on the flywheel side like my 1st attempt.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

If I ever install duals again I’d strongly push for a cable system. Seems to me I remember a company called CSP had them
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Need some help with this....

Would love to see pictures, lots of pictures.

Pete sent me a bracket to test for clearance, it looks like it is gonna be tight around the right rear spark plug. Help me out here...

I found a youtube vid of a guy with a 912 and he is installing the sync-link. According to him, I have the mock up cable wrong. The NOT threaded hole for the cable goes on the btm. I'll fix. Any pix out there?

It looks tricky to me to make this work but I think you should press on!

I've installed the sync-link on a Type 4 but it was in a Split Bus and had a DTM cooling system. Also as I recall the engine had Porsche 914 2.0 heads, different plug locations (tilted down and out from where they are on a Bus engine). If the person with the 912 has the original 914-4 2.0l engine they will likely have no trouble due to this difference in the plug angle.

The orientation towards the front (flywheel) seems to me to be more likely to work - less likely to foul the plug wires. I believe it's a matter of the bracket being designed for this and the cables pulling from the needed directions.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

Yes the 912 video had 2.0 heads. I did notice that he had no clash with plug wires.

As he talked thru what he was doing, it seemed that the mock-up bracket i have pictured could be multi-ambidextrous. That is it could go on the right or left and point forward or rearward.

I think this will help my situation cause the LEFT carb is set back, towards the flywheel. I need to check but it might provide more tin clearance. And the opposite bracket looks to only support one cable.

I will add some screen shots and link his video here for others.

Either i am the 1st to try this (1.8 L bus with OEM fan) or it ain’t gonna work, and no one has pix, but i will keep plugging.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Either i am the 1st to try this (1.8 L bus with OEM fan) or it ain’t gonna work, and no one has pix, but i will keep plugging.

Maybe. The fellow who makes this kit is very accommodating and helpful, in my experience. I think it's worth the effort to try making it work, it's a great system.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

The brackets are all ambidextrous. Some carbs allow you to put the throttle arm pieces on the opposite side as well. It's very doable, just gotta figure out the orientation of parts…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

Baby steps..... Pete emailed and suggested I switch sides of the carbs..... I guess the spring loc is how he knows what is what, but I certainly don't have enough experience.

I don't think his brackets are completely AMBIDEXTROUS to the way you plan to control (front or rear). Compare the 2 pix at the btm that are his....

DONE: This is now the passenger side carb with the mock-up bracket and wire covering.

MY P-SIDE CARB

Photo from SYNC-LINK of the P-SIDE.

Sync link pic of the D-SIDE.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb cabling - linkage vendor Reply with quote

Not sure it ended up perfectly installed. But it seems that if my foot was on the pedal, the pulleys are sync'd.

Sound off if you see something for me to review. Engine is going in as soon as I get motivated. Cool

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: