Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoundSoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

Heads up all, Jerry Hoffmann from DIYAutoTune here - it's been a while since I've posted here but I wanted to see what ya'll think of this new articles series. Hoping to add a new chapter every two or three weeks, with the goal being to aid and equip our customers to learn the ins and outs of EFI Installation, Tuning and Configuration, and eventually I'll get into case studies converting different vehicles to one of our Standalone Engine Management Systems, documenting the process, and posting it up to help others follow along. I've got a shop full of cars I can play with when I get to that point, should have something for everyone.

Check it out....

EFI Tuners Guide – Overview and Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Why should you convert to Electronic Fuel Injection?
Chapter 2: Why should you convert to Electronic Ignition Control?
Chapter 3: Garbage In, Garbage Out: A properly installed, configured, and tuned Engine Management System makes all the difference! (three stages of success)
Chapter 4: Electronic Fuel Injection Options – Throttle Body Injection (TBI), MultiPort Fuel Injection (MPFI), Sequential Point Fuel Injection (SPFI), and Direct Injection (DI)

Other topics I plan to cover are in the Table of Contents. What's missing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to read through it well yet, but something i see asked a lot is about TB sizing for a given engine. Is there any math/science for that?
FoundSoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I haven't had a chance to read through it well yet, but something i see asked a lot is about TB sizing for a given engine. Is there any math/science for that?

It's a lot more forgiving than carb sizing, but there is something to be said for sizing the throttle body. Obviously too small is going to show up as a restriction, which on a naturally aspirated vehicle could be seen in the datalogs as manifold pressure never reaching at/near ambient pressure under full throttle because the engine is ingesting more air than the throttle body can allow in. At the other extreme, too large of a throttle body, the main challenge would be trying to make small throttle movements with a large throttle blade... a small movement can allow much more air in much more quickly, creating some challenges with transients (changes in throttle position). If it's not too extreme, it can be tuned for. If it's the equivalent of an on/off valve though, no air or all the air, drivability will suffer. It might work on a pure drag car, but maybe nowhere else.

It's pretty forgiving though with EFI. I'm speaking of extremes here in order to find examples where it will impact you, at least on the big side. If it's big enough, and not stoopid big, it'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

Yeah on my old 1600 turbo with a 50mm TB, i could reach over 30 psi of boost at less than 30% throttle. Wasn't bad to drive though. Not like a light switch at all.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this together Jerry! The little bit I've looked through was very well written. I have the book you published a decade ago as well. I appreciate the effort you've gone through to get this stuff available to the masses.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

buguy wrote:

IDF pattern throttles

36mm 160-170hp
38mm 180hp
40mm 200hp
45mm more than any dual port head will flow

99% of engines are sub 150hp and spend 99% of the time below full throttle
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

buguy......were you asking about single TB size or dual carb style(ITB) so 4 x throttle plates?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

Really wasn't asking for anything specific. Just something i see asked pretty often. I would think there is some math that could be done to figure out the cfm requirement an engine needs. Or maybe there is a calculator. Then that could be applied to single or dual TB's.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
buguy wrote:

IDF pattern throttles

36mm 160-170hp
38mm 180hp
40mm 200hp

Are these IDF throttle body figures for a single or pr of throttle bodies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
buguy wrote:

IDF pattern throttles

36mm 160-170hp
38mm 180hp
40mm 200hp

What about a, force fed 50mm TB?
Will 42 x 37 heads, choke?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
buguy wrote:

IDF pattern throttles

36mm 160-170hp
38mm 180hp
40mm 200hp

That's for a pair of IDF throttle bodies
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New EFI Tuners Guide Article Series you might find helpful.... Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
buguy wrote:

IDF pattern throttles

36mm 160-170hp
38mm 180hp
40mm 200hp

What about a, force fed 50mm TB?
Will 42 x 37 heads, choke?

It'll work OK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: