Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr2cv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Dear Samba-members,

here a short introduction of my car:

in search of an oldtimer with rear seats (kids) I ended up buying a beetle convertible last year. I wanted a Super Bug because of the McPherson front suspension and the boot space. After quite a search I found a 1974 American Superbug which was imported from California (1 owner) to the Netherlands in 1999 and had been completely restored and upgraded several years ago. The last 10 years it had done only 1000 km's. So first job was to do some maintenance. I also did some changes to it, mainly electrics. I also added central locking and an alarm. Hopefully I can do more than 1000 kms with it in the next 10 years Wink

I visited the Samba over the last year for various subjects, it has been very helpfull already.

Herewith some pictures of the car. I hope you enjoy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Greetings from MR2CV from the Netherlands!
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

mr2vc,
That's a very good looking convertible, very clean all over, engine compartment look's super nice, you did good.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Okrasa carb kit on a late vert Shocked

Very interesting car!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Great restoration!

What kind of distributor is that?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

mr2cv wrote:
I also added central locking

That's a beautiful Beetle. Congratulations! There's some words of wisdom that I've always followed: Never Lock a Convertible
And I always leave the windows at least partially wound down so there's no doubt.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
mr2cv wrote:
I also added central locking

That's a beautiful Beetle. Congratulations! There's some words of wisdom that I've always followed: Never Lock a Convertible
And I always leave the windows at least partially wound down so there's no doubt.

Amen to that. I learned that lesson the hard way. If they want to get in better they use the door than slice the top open.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Great restoration!

What kind of distributor is that?

Tim

Looks like a compufire DIS-X conversion on an 009.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
mr2cv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: US spec 1974 Convertible from the Netherlands - New wheels Reply with quote

when I bougt my beetle last year it was on 17 year old tires. Time for new tires. And new wheels. Bought a set which needed some TLC. After lots of grinding, polishing, painting and even welding the new wheels and tires were mounted some months ago. It took me some time to get used to it.

What's you opinion?

Of course the steel rims and chrome hubcaps are in the attic, in case I want to change back...

On the left the state they were in when I got them, middle wheel rim polished, right wheel polished and painted

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Okrasa carb kit on a late vert Shocked

Very interesting car!
Off topic may be...
Although there's an Okrasa sticker on the fan shroud the carbs & linkage look like a Riechert kit IMHO.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

A beautiful VW, love the wheels. what size tires are you using ?
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Beautiful car you have there. Those wheels really are a nice change. I ran the Fuch’s commonly found on 914’s on my 74 vert. The front fenders are 1974 specific (one year only. Gotta love your engine.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

What kind of trailer hitch is that? Great looking Conv.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Very nice!
I noticed the trailer hitch as well- how is it mounted to the car?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Nice looking car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Nice car! Nice to know VWs are alive and well in the Netherlands. I've visited your country several times and love everything about it, although unlike most tourists I prefer Rotterdam to Amsterdam.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

I like the paint on the fog lights. Great little car.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Pretty car, like the tasteful mods.
mr2cv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
A beautiful VW, love the wheels. what size tires are you using ?

The tires sizes are 185/65R15 (Front) and 195/60R15 (Back). They are the same size as the 17 year old tires on the steel wheels. So if I want to change back to steel rims I can exchange the tires.
mr2cv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Off topic may be...
Although there's an Okrasa sticker on the fan shroud the carbs & linkage look like a Riechert kit IMHO.

I don't exactly know what specific hardware is mounted on the car because it was already there when I bought it but there are Riechert Air filters on it. so you may be correct.

I can post more detailed photos of the engine bay. I would like to have some more info about the hardware as well Wink
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: New here from the Netherlands, with an US spec 1974 Convertible Reply with quote

Cool, seems to be an early version when Riechert was located in Essen.
The company moved to Velbert later.
"IBR" is an abbreviation for "Ingenieur Bernd Riechert" most likely.
Mr. Riechert was an engineer at the Solex factory before he started his own business.

Two quick links - all German unfortunately:
https://felix03.jimdofree.com/zweivergaseranlagen-im-%C3%BCberblick/riechert-tuning/
https://felix03.jimdofree.com/einbauanleitung-ba/ (instruction sheets)

And a catalogue: https://www.yumpu.com/no/document/view/23747891/riechert-katalog-1980

I rebuilt my engine with Riechert parts back in '89.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: