Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pushrods/valves SEEM dead / engine build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
^^^ X2

From they looks of it the engine was running and the cam somehow locked up, and the stored energy of the crank and flywheel kept the crank spinning.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Whoa. That would do it. I wonder if the cam gear sat in a case exposed to the elements, and the gear rotted at the bottom or something. Then resued in this engline.

I'd what would jamb a cam except a pushrod coming out of the rocker cup, and jamming on something. But the pushrods usually just bend like noodles.

Well OP, you definitely found the problem. Sucks it ended up being a total tear down.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

NachoCar wrote:
Perhaps the issue
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow - I've never seen or even heard of that happening before !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
NachoCar wrote:
Perhaps the issue

Actually, as i look at that again, the middle cam bearing is double stacked. Was it like that when you opened the case? I've only seen rod bearings do that!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
NachoCar wrote:
Perhaps the issue

Actually, as i look at that again, the middle cam bearing is double stacked. Was it like that when you opened the case? I've only seen rod bearings do that!

I saw that too, except in pic#3, it shows the the bearing half sitting on top of the cam. I think in pic#1 it is just a reflection of the backside. I compared the two pics many times, in pic #1, the cam lobe is hiding the edge of the upper bearing shell. Don't think it was water damage either, sump looks fine and no gray paste.

My guess is that the valve train jammed somehow. Anything unusual with the lifters? Do they all move in their bores?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Ah you might be right. Just a reflection. Pictures can be deceiving.

I guess a lifter could have got jammed up somehow? Something had to have stopped that cam in a hurry. I've seen lifter bores blown out, but not the teeth ripped off like that.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Just a guess.

By the nicks on the brass distributor drive gear someone may have at one time put the shims on the drive and drove it home past the gear.

Did you remove the distributor drive before this happened?

Did you find any bent or crushed metal in the case?
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

My guess is that the valve train jammed somehow. Anything unusual with the lifters? Do they all move in their bores?[/quote]

The lifters seemed smooth as butter?!?
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Just a guess.

By the nicks on the brass distributor drive gear someone may have at one time put the shims on the drive and drove it home past the gear.

Did you remove the distributor drive before this happened?

Did you find any bent or crushed metal in the case?

The po had the bottom end built when I got it.

I did not remove dist drive gear.

I have not yet found ALL the teeth that were sheared off. Found a couple and the bits in the pics above.

Last edited by NachoCar on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

will a standard old engine rebuilder shop be able to tell if case is savable?

I can't imagine ensuring all the oil passages ar clear would be easy.

I really have no idea what to even ask them to do or inspect. Guidance would be great!!

Thanks,

George
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

You can ask to remove all engine case plugs, clean the passages very well, thread and plug with NPT plugs. I did it myself, you just need the taps and plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

I would clean the case as good as you can. Simple Green and a good stiff brush work magically! Clean the crank and the old bearings too. Once all clean, rinsed and dry, reassemble the crank in the case and see if it will spin easily. If it does, send the case out to be inspected. If it does not, send the case and crank.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo and everyone

thought I'd make the best of the situation and upgrade to CB performance's 2280 grind 'Cheater' cam, but out of stock till next year......damn supply chain issues.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Did you find any "metal sand" in the oil pump before you removed it? This would be an indication it had pumped metal particles into the oil passages? If the pump/gears was still clean then the case may be cleaned and reused. May the silver lining is that the cam drives the oil pump. Since the cam gear was destroyed the cam would have immediately stopped rotating and in turn the oil pump would have stopped too. The crank would have continued to rotate for a bit with zero oil pressure but the oil pump would have stopped drawing oil from the bottom of the crankcase. The only question is if the cam started to come apart before it came to a halt.

Extra effort needs to be paid towards cleaning out all case passages if you plan to reuse it. Find a well known machine shop or engine builder that has experience with ACVWs. They can clean and inspect the case and let you know if it appears rebuildable.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Curious if there is any evidence pointing to a root cause. Lifters stuck? Pushrods bent weird?
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

No grit/metal sand in oil pump!!!

Lifters were smooth. I'll inspect the pushrods more carefully as they weren't my main focus during disassembly.

Finding a machine shop familiar with acvw's has not happened yet and doesn't look to happen within driving distance. Afraid I'm going to have to take a chance with local shop.

Last edited by NachoCar on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

I remember seeing this YEARS ago...if memory serves (probably not) something got in the case and jammed the cam gear while running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

If it’s all clean and your feeling lucky, fix it. What’s the worse that could happen? You’ll spend a few bucks on necessary parts.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

Just balancing $3K on a mofoco short block vs cam, cam gear, bearings and machine work. Made a contact on here who gave me a list of names to contact in Memphis with acvw experience. (Thanks Robert!!!)

Seems like it be about a $1000 gamble vs new/reworked short block with 12 month warranty.

I'll make that call after machine shop does inspection, hopefully before a $500 bill.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pushrods/valves SEEM to have stopped moving Reply with quote

barley worth mentioning as an update....but after the machine shop never got around to my mere VW case after a couple MONTHS, I picked everything up last Thursday. They did manage to polish the crank nicely.

Thanks to a great new Sambaista buddy who let me come over to his house and watched him measure, tap, and re-remeasure.... I now have new bearings.

Newest issue to stress about is drilling perpendicular to the case for a 14 mm od case saver. I don't have a drill press. Got the idea to use a spare cylinder/jug as a guide. After a usable attempt, assembly begins Saturday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: