Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Applicable battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Applicable battery Reply with quote

About time to install a new battery in my 69 KG coupe (almost through with resto/mod). Have the 12v battery I used for testing the wiring but it is small and may not have the amps for regular use.
Have looked through many topics and found where batteries were discussed but have yet to see this particular question (it could easily be there but I have not found it): What is a suggested battery for a 69 KG coupe?

Please include name brand and any other specifics I should ask about when I purchase. I still have the hold down clamp (not the strap) that fit on the bottom edge of the old battery.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

factory is group 42 battery. I've has good luck with Interstate batteries but you'll find everyone has their own preference
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

I'm coming up on the same task. The searches I've done seem to distinguish between constant usage and intermittent/stored vehicles.

The sealed batteries intrigue me as that darn piece of metal seems to rust so easy but I guess a little more discipline with a battery pan would solve this. But their price does deter me a bit.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:
But their price does deter me a bit.

It's approx $150 for an Optima or an Odyssey.
Costs a lot more to have someone cut out and replace rusty metal.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

The location of the battery is a deciding factor. The original location, in the engine bay, can handle almost any common battery, they are less expensive. Plenty of ghia owners have relocated the battery to under the back seat to kind of clean up the engine bay. This requires a smaller (in physical size) battery and hopefully something sealed. As far as cranking amps anything 400 + should do. I have friends that make battery purchases based on length of warranty. They figure buy once, cry once. Others buy the least expensive because they are price sensitive. There is boatloads of info on batteries on the web. You can spend $50 or $350 or more.
Where do you want to put it?
Budget?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Based on recommendations from the Forum I ordered the Odyssey PC-925 battery, Amazon, to mount under my rear seat. When I opened the box it was model number ODS-AGM28LA. I thought maybe this is an upgraded replacement, so I charged it up, installed, and tried to fire up the engine...No Joy! The engine barely cranked, just chugged like when you have a dead battery. Trying to get it replaced or a refund based on it wasn't the model I ordered, dealing with customer service and vendor at the moment!

The battery seems very small, but appears to have the same CCA as the PC925. I'm wondering if this battery is just not large enough to crank over the engine. I will add that when the engine was assembled, we ran it only for about 30 seconds just to confirm all was good, mentioned in my thread, but we started it with a large Interstate battery while on the stand.

I'm wondering if since the engine is new and hasn't had any break in running time that I need a larger capacity battery in order to just get it started, and then replace it with the Odyssey battery for general running.

Thoughts?
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thoughts?
Online catalog (https://www.odysseybatteries.com/odyssey/catalog.html) shows both those numbers for the same battery you ordered/received, and it's rated to have ample amps. If you suspect it was damaged during shipping maybe haul it to a shop where they can load test it. If your cables and connections (ground strap from the chassis to the transaxle?) are good you could try a jumper on the solenoid to rule out the long run from the ignition switch. Good luck! As an aside, avoid using the biggest baddest battery charger... they have a good one for maintaining the battery and recommend ~6 amp max.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Thanks Charley, all cables and connections are good. I've also installed a hard start relay, all lights come on and work, except the horn going off, which I am reading through the thread on that for the 100th time and still can't figure out.

The engine wants to start but seems like the battery just doesn't have enough power to kick it over, 2332cc, so maybe I'll throw the large screwdriver on the solenoid and see if I can kick it that way. If that doesn't work, I may just pick up a large cheap battery to try and get it started to get some break in time, we'll see. Like I said, we started it on a bench with a large battery and it kicked right up.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

I have a PC 925 and I don't have any issue cranking the 2332 (9.25:1 comp) that I have in my '71.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Guessing the starter is good and not binding and you can turn it over by hand. I suppose it's not unheard of to get a bum battery. Maybe try jumper cables from your main ride?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
I have a PC 925 and I don't have any issue cranking the 2332 (9.25:1 comp) that I have in my '71.

Always has to be someone out there copying me!!! Laughing Thanks Ollie, I'm still thinking it's just cause I need to get the engine started and broken in a little. Will throw the battery on a slow charger for a day and try again after I try jump starting it. Or as Charley mentioned, it could be a bum battery and I'll try to get it replaced, still working through Amazon on that issue.
Jeff

SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

I went the slightly cheaper route and got Miata/mx5 battery. It is a sealed AGM battery and available through any autoparts store so a decent warranty is offered. I think I paid around $175 bucks after the core charge of my old battery.

It is one of the smaller batteries out there and will easily fit under the back seat.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Thanks Sandhamwich, I'll take a look in that direction!
Jeff

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

an explanation of what CCA and Reserve Capacity means

https://www.batteriesplus.com/blog/power/cold-cranking-amps-reserve-capacity
VW Wiring = It's just wires
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Thank you Sir, good information and better understanding. As an update, I hooked up the slow charger and brought the two small batteries I have back up to 12+volts. Went to start, and the engine cranked in starts, but not consistent enough to to provide a full rotation to suck fuel and rotate enough to get a good starting power. I'm still thinking I need to get a larger starter battery with enough power to get initial rotation/staring power to run the engine through it's initial break in and then the other battery, Odyssey should work fine after that. Does that make sense or am I going into the rabbit hole?

I need more power to kick the engine over, suggestions?
Jeff

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Quote:
enough power to get initial rotation/staring power

take the spark plugs out and see if the engine turns over hard still
VW Wiring = It's just wires
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Any way you can borrow another battery to test that out?
The battery rating, starter and wiring all have to be matched. No sense having a battery of delivering 600 CCA if you have 4 or 6 ga. wire to the starter. Similarly, if you have the stock starter and it struggles a larger CCA battery just allows it to struggle longer. You have a hard start relay and that helps a lot.
I upgraded my Bug to a group 35. The Ghia I'm just in the process of test fitting to the passenger rear compartment. Both are flooded cell but will be replaced with AGM as they expire. My reasoning is that flooded cell or AGM are compatible with the charging / starting system.
I have a 1776 mild compression with a Bosch SR17 starter, hard start relay, and 1 ga wiring. The group 35 has ~500 CCA and can crank it as long as I want and as fast as it needs to be. That being said the group 42 could get it spinning but just not as long.
The AGM certainly has the edge for reserve capacity, start cycles and doesn't sulphate as much as the flooded cell. For automotive needs not a lot of "cons" to them. The bug sits mostly the summer. During that time I trickle charge it every month. That seems to be the nemesis of cars that have storage time.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
enough power to get initial rotation/staring power

take the spark plugs out and see if the engine turns over hard still

Thank you, that makes sense and will give it a try. I initially pulled the plugs and rotated the engine around several times by hand with a wrench on the crank/pully bolt to pump up oil pressure a bit and just check the rotation before I tried to fire it up and everything spun easily with little effort. Definitely will try again with plugs out and using the ignition.

So question is, if the engine fully rotates via ignition and starter with no problem, then what is my next step? Obviously with the plugs in there is a bit of high compression so I need enough power source to kick it over. Am I still missing something or does that make sense?

As stated previously we bench fired it using a large battery and it kicked right over, but only let it run about 30 seconds, so I assume once I am able to get it started and let it break in for about 15-20 minutes before I turn it off and change the oil, that will be enough time for the rings and everything to start to wear in a bit and should bring the compression down to a better level. It's been a few months since it was fired and I believe we measured the PSI at each cylinder between 130-140, all were almost identical within a pound or two. So I know it works, I just need to get full rotations so it can fire.

Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

Hi gorbur, what you are saying also makes sense, and yes, I am trying to secure a larger battery to see if my "theory" works out. Not sure what gauge the battery cable is to starter, it is a large common automotive cable, not a motorcycle cable, so I am sure it's correct. You guys are giving me good advice and things to check.

As I explained above, unless I am way out in left field, I think once I can get the engine to crank up and fire, run a bit for break in, then the AGM Odyssey battery will take over and fire with no problem.

I'll run some checks and update as I can. Thanks!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Applicable battery Reply with quote

UPDATE: So I took the plugs out and with the smaller battery, turned the ignition and the engine spun free and clear with no problem. I let it spin for a bit just to loosen things up. Put the plugs back in, turned the key, and couldn't get the engine to turn, same problem as before. I went and picked up a cheap 700 cca battery and threw it on the slow charger overnight. As soon as the rain slows a little, I'll go out and try it again and see if the larger battery will provide enough boost to crank it over.
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: