Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you replace your heater channel with?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

Hey all! I have a 65 Beetle, it needs floors and I only drive it in the summer so Im not going to bother putting in a new heater channel. From what I understand I can't leave that section empty because its structural. So what do you guys put in there?

Thanks all!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

Around here in the desert, the heater channels don't rust out.

But that is DEFINITELY an important part of the body. It's what holds the rest of the body to the pan. They have far more purposes than just transmitting heat to the interior. Whether you're going to use heat or not, the heater channels NEED to be there. Replacements are available.

Of course, you could have Crumco build a full tube frame inside your Bug body and the heater channels would be mostly deleted and the remaining material of the channels welded to the tube frame.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

Thanks! I wasn't sure if you guys had a pipe/beam (not sure what word Im looking for here) to replace the channel but keep the structure strong
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

2.5” to 3” square tube can be used, but it is the same amount of work as replacing the heater channel with the correct part IMO
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

I can't imagine it would cost the same as the entire channel though? I've seen the channels going for roughly $400.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What do you replace your heater channel with? Reply with quote

Using tube can take more time and has its own challenges but you can give yourself a lift. I've been going back and forth on what to do with mine. My channels are pretty bad. At one point i thought i wanted a lift, but the older i get the less i want to mess around reinventing things.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: