Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning out the air Vents
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Cleaning out the air Vents Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on how to clean out the air vents in a vanagon. The previous owner was a bit of a slop and that is putting it nicely. Anyway, anytime we run the heat or just open the front vents to get some air we get this smell. It almost smells like old wet dog. Would love to get rid of that smell. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated and my wife and my nose thank you.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say if you have a A/C or a WBX. On an A/C you may have mouse nest in the ducting under the van. Sometimes you can clean it out in situ by removing a hose from each end of the ducting and running water through the ducts. Parking on a hill will help the water flow through.

For both A/C and WBX'x you can remove and clean the ducts that run from the center heating unit to the side vents on the dash. Not easy but can be done. For the main heating unit you might make some gains on the stink by forcing water into the defroster duct with a garden hose. This of course is apt to make a big mess. Getting at the heater unit to do good cleaning it is a major job and requires the removal of the entire dash. If you split the heating unit open you will need the 11 repair clips from VW to reassemble the unit, and while you are in that far you might consider replacing the blower fan or at least lubing its bearings. They are notorious for seizing up.
joga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i did not give a better discription of the car. It is a 1990 weekender with the airconditioner. I will see about doing some of the suggestions that you made. Finding the hill will not be an issue since I live on one. Thanks for the suggestions.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the great state of Florida (most of the time when not in Texas!).

Because of the high humidity, the house ducts must be cleaned profesionally every 3 to 5 years, to prevent mold spores from making folks sick in their house during the hot summer months of air conditioning use.

Anyhow, the person that came to my house to clean the ducts had this spray cleaner he sprayed into the intake duct initially. He then used large brushes to clean out the flex ducts in my attic. I mentioned that my 84 Vanagon had a stale stench when I used the heater. He took the spray bottle and sprayed the cleaner into my vents; both at the top and bottom (intake). I ran the heater and fan on high for about 10 minutes.

No more stink! See if you have these services in your area (yellow pages under air conditioning). Perhaps this bottle of cleaner can be purchased.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ratsnest Batman.
This smelled ripe before we tore into it and thoroughly disinfected it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
adventurevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big swifty wrote:
holy ratsnest Batman.
This smelled ripe before we tore into it and thoroughly disinfected it.

Can you elaborate on what was involved in "tore into it"? I have mice and it smells terrible... I need to disinfect and clean the system. Any advice would be awesome.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventurevan wrote:
Can you elaborate on what was involved in "tore into it"? I have mice and it smells terrible... I need to disinfect and clean the system. Any advice would be awesome.

We've all been there, some in worse degrees than others. You need to disinfect the ductwork and plastic heater box if they got into it.

Could be one old/current nest, could be multiple. I used bleach solution, wiping and cleaning as I went. I got lucky, only one small nest, others have shown pictures of total horror shows of monster nests and dead rodents.... Shocked Shocked

Wear Breathing and Glove protection, Hanta Virus or related rodent virus are real and nasty to endure.

If you are having to remove the Dash to access the ductwork and get into the Heaterbox, now's the time to plan on rebuilding the Heaterbox if yours has missing foam on the flaps, noisy blower motor, leaking core, resistor for blower, etc... Lots of threads on that.

Beware that any Roof vents you have, the Mice can also access above the headliner and into those vent sections as well. They're nimble like that... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Look out for chewed wiring as you get deep into it. They're known for that as well. I had to repair the Dome Light Power wire off the Drivers A pillar, down near the fusebox. It was chewed in half.. Sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning out the air Vents Reply with quote

there's a 95.7% chance the smell is from a mouse nest in the heater box. the OE heater core has an extremely fine fin density and acts as a filter for nest debris so folks don't think there's a nest because no debris flys out of the vents. a flexible snake cam might be employed thru the heater box air intake. only solution if the home of Satan's Little Helper is found is a weekend of your work to pull the heater box and clean it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning out the air Vents Reply with quote

I have been able to remove mouse nesting material for various areas of the heater system using one of the flexible three prong picker uppers. If you live in a desert area you can then back-flush the duct work with water, don't know if this would be a good idea in a hot humid area though.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning out the air Vents Reply with quote

We had mice stashing seeds from our bird feeders in the fresh air intake before I closed off the opening with wire mesh.

Turned on the heater fan one day and seeds came flying out the vents!
Got home, pulled the vents and snaked a vacuum hose down the vent tubes. Sucked up several cups of seeds!

This worked because I caught before anything got wet.
Years later when I pulled the dash to redo everything I found the vac had worked great and when I opened up the heater box there was only the usual bug bits and feathers that get sucked in.

Pulling the dash and giving it all a good clean makes a big difference in smells though, and gave me a chance to wash and disinfect the plastic pipes.

Can be a bit intimidating but really not that hard.

And it gives you the chance to do this while replacing all the foam. Makes everything work better and reduces noise.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning out the air Vents Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I soaked my plastic air/heater tubes in simple green and in vinegar. Worked perfectly, despite claims “one can never get rid of the mouse smell”.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: