Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker panels ( what to cut out?)
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi guys, I’ve been pondering a problem for a week or so and can’t come up with answer, wonder if any body can help?
I am replacing rocker panels but old rocker panel area near rear wheel arch is not too bad. I wonder if I should chop up the new rocker so it marries up to the good part of the old one.
Or
Just cut a bigger access hole and cut it all out and put in a complete brand new unit?
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

My opinion, I'd leave as much factory metal as you can. That being said, if its easier on you to make the seams line up when replacing the metal go that route.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Initially, I was thinking you should butt up to the remaining. Primarily because it would best keep the original corner door gap and what's left appears fine.
I had some issues with the fit of the rocker around the jack cut out. Because of that I was test fitting it often and easiest keeping the rocker as one piece. Rust prevention was a concern for me. Having one continuous panel was easier to treat and fewer exposed areas. Looking at how good of shape yours are in that might not be an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I was also juggling with the idea of keeping as much original metal as possible. I think what’s tipped me in favour of cutting out all the old and replacing with new is the fact that the shape and pressing of the new repro panel may not be an exact match with original and I may have alignment issues when it comes to welding them together. Appreciate your input and thoughts on this Smile cheers RT
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

I would keep that curve at the bottom of the b-pillar. It's going to be really hard to recreate that perfectly and keep the geometry factory.

If you look on youtube... do a search for "My Friend Pete" or "DIY auto school" (he has two channels). About ten years ago he made some videos where he replaces Ghia rockers. He basically pieced in the new rocker like a puzzle piece, keeping that attached at the bottom of the b-pillar and only using what he needed. He swears and yells a lot too but that's part of his schtick... complaining about what a rusty nightmare Ghia's are, Laughing
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Thanks Peter I do remember that guy on you tube "get her done" !
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

I'd cut it at the 90 degree bend and do a solid butt weld along that line.
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Hi Guys, hit a snag?
I was try to dry fit the rocker panel and found I could not get it around the door post to put it in place

I found this photo of somebody elses car that shows the problem
It's the area (B)

I;m kinda thinking I might have to put out the bottom of the door post to make space to fit the rocker panel, It will be a shame as then i'll be messing with the original door frame and fit of the door.
If you have an ideas i'd love to hear 'em
Cheers
RT
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Not a lot more you have to remove on that piece. You'll see the lap 30mm up from where you made the cut. I ground down the lap weld then used a hacksaw to get through the rocker. There should be ~1mm gap between the post and HC allowing the rocker to slip in. As your HC is in place not a lot should move. It was also the last weld to be done once verifying the doors fit.

One of the many times testing the rocker fit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Thanks Gobur, so if I trim like yours I should be able to pull out the last piece of Rocker .. and then slide in the replacement rocker!

Any last welds or things to look out for when getting the last bit out, it is sitting pretty tight at moment!

gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Yes, thats how I did both L & R that way.
I see yours is a spot welded to the rocker. If i recall correctly mine was a lap weld. Either way you should end up with a gap (~1mm) to the HC. Getting the rocker in is a matter of angling it up. Fortunately it can twist enough to get it by the low part of the lip. No hammering just a few solid hits with the hand. If its too tight no reason you couldn't cut the horizontal section (only) back a little more.
No other snags I know of for a coupe. Cabriolets have a brace further back that is a bit troublesome in getting the rocker under.
Once in place check the curve against the front and rear quarters. I had to alter the arc slightly.
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker panels ( what to cut out?) Reply with quote

Thanks Gobur, I am taking a rest from it now, will try again next weekend with renewed enthusiasm. Appreciate your wisdom on this topic!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: