Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
co12294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

2.2L type 4, dual HPMX 44s, EMPI intakes/linkage, Pertronix 009 clone.

The engine builder used thick phenolic gaskets (prob what the HPMX kit comes with) and within a few hundred miles I had a bad air leak causing the idle to creep to 2.5k RPMs. So I replaced them with the HP gaskets from aircooled.

I didn't make any other adjustments to the carbs yet, but was surprised to see the mixture significantly different than pre-leak with the phenolic gaskets. Idle AFR used to be ~13.5, now it's ~16. WOT was previously ~12, now it's ~14.5.

I'm going to adjust carbs tonight, but was just curious if anyone had an explanation for why simply changing the gaskets might result in an overall much-leaner mixture.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

if the A/F is much leaner now then you likely didn't get a good seal, and have an air leak. Use a smoke test to find it. The only other cause might be a change in float height caused by moving the carbs around, or a hose is disconnected/in the wrong spot. The phenolic gaskets were probably there to help keep the carbs cooler in summer to slow the fuel in the bowl(s) from boiling.
co12294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if the A/F is much leaner now then you likely didn't get a good seal, and have an air leak. Use a smoke test to find it. The only other cause might be a change in float height caused by moving the carbs around, or a hose is disconnected/in the wrong spot. The phenolic gaskets were probably there to help keep the carbs cooler in summer to slow the fuel in the bowl(s) from boiling.

I did test by spraying starting fluid at the base of the intake and no uptick in RPMS (significant idle jump before I replaced the gaskets).

Good point about jostling the carbs around, I'll let things settle down a little and see what it looks like in a bit.
co12294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

Thanks for the sanity-check, it turned out to be a sudden exhaust leak (header cracked on my repair weld) with extremely coincidental timing. Rolling Eyes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

co12294 wrote:
Thanks for the sanity-check, it turned out to be a sudden exhaust leak (header cracked on my repair weld) with extremely coincidental timing. Rolling Eyes
so the high A/F ratio was dilution.
co12294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
co12294 wrote:
so the high A/F ratio was dilution.

Yep. I have a set of VS headers waiting to go on, the ones on here are basically rusted through...there was enough material at the crack to weld, but they cracked again right next to it.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

There are thick phenolic gaskets that come with the 2.0 bus gasket set.
These are to be used with the factory fuel injection manifolds.

They are NOT to be used under a set of carb manifolds.
They’re too soft/weak and will result in air leaks.

If you want some heat isolation to help with heat soak, use phenolic spacers between the carb and manifold.
Gary Berg sells them IIRC..

What’s That Noise?!?
co12294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket change = significant mixture change? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
There are thick phenolic gaskets that come with the 2.0 bus gasket set.
These are to be used with the factory fuel injection manifolds.

They are NOT to be used under a set of carb manifolds.
They’re too soft/weak and will result in air leaks.

If you want some heat isolation to help with heat soak, use phenolic spacers between the carb and manifold.
Gary Berg sells them IIRC..

Great info, that makes a ton of sense, thanks. The phenolic gaskets JCS installed between the manifolds and the heads lasted all of ~500 miles. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: