Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal popping fuse
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

Hi all!

My right turn signal pops the #1 fuse as soon as the relay clicks over. Left turn signal has no issues, but flashers also pop the fuse. I'm definitely not great on the wiring/electrical side of things and don't know where to start troubleshooting with the volt meter. The fuse block connections look good, and the wiring looks in tact.

If anyone is willing to dumb it down and help me out, that would be super appreciated. Thanks!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

I suspect there is a short circuit in the black.green wire that powers the right turn signals.

Lower the right hand dash panel, and check the connections at the hazard switch.
Sometimes these switches come apart where the metal housing is piened over the plastic base, causing all kinds of screwy problems.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If that looks OK...
Unplug the turn signal switch connector at the steering column (it's the one under my thumb).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Try the turn signal switch.
If the fuse still blows, the problem is in the turn signal switch. Look for pinched wires, etc.

If the fuse does not blow, the problem is in the wiring; most likely in the black green wire.
Remove both right turn signal bulbs.

Use your VOM to check for continuity to ground at the black/green wire on the turn signal switch connector. If you find continuity, follow the black/green wire to the 3 way connector that splits to the front and rear bulbs. Unplug the wires to front and rear and check each one for continuity to ground.

It is a pains taking process; just take your time and you will find the short.

Good luck, Mondshine

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

You are a literal saint Mondshine! Ill go through those steps today and see if I can find the gremlin, thanks!
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I suspect there is a short circuit in the black.green wire that powers the right turn signals.

Try the turn signal switch.
If the fuse still blows, the problem is in the turn signal switch. Look for pinched wires, etc.

If the fuse does not blow, the problem is in the wiring; most likely in the black green wire.
Remove both right turn signal bulbs.

Use your VOM to check for continuity to ground at the black/green wire on the turn signal switch connector. If you find continuity, follow the black/green wire to the 3 way connector that splits to the front and rear bulbs. Unplug the wires to front and rear and check each one for continuity to ground.

It is a pains taking process; just take your time and you will find the short.

Good luck, Mondshine

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

OK, so with the signal switch disconnected, the flashers work just fine on all four corners ruling out wiring to the bulbs themselves. With the turn signal switch connected to the steering column, fuse #10 (emergency flasher) pops.

Am I in the right direction in assuming the turn signal switch is most likely the culprit? I took the whole thing apart and it is pretty crusty and a lot of the plastic retainers are falling apart. Im assuming Ill need a whole new unit.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

With the ignition switched on, and the turn signal switch unplugged, what happens when you move the turn signal switch for a right turn?

If the fuse blows, the problem is with the turn signal switch. (Steering wheel off recently?)

If the fuse does not blow, the problem is downstream of the turn signal switch; either in the wiring or in the front or rear lights. Perform the tests I mentioned previously, and report back.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
With the ignition switched on, and the turn signal switch unplugged, what happens when you move the turn signal switch for a right turn?

If the fuse blows, the problem is with the turn signal switch. (Steering wheel off recently?)

If the fuse does not blow, the problem is downstream of the turn signal switch; either in the wiring or in the front or rear lights. Perform the tests I mentioned previously, and report back.

I took apart the entire turn signal switch, cleaned up all the connections and now everything works as it should. Including right turn signals. For my own knowledge, if the turn signal switch were to be unplugged wouldn't nothing happen because it is not receiving power from the flasher switch? Therefore a fuse would not blow if the short was in the signal switch?

This car now has right blinkers for the first time in 10 years! thanks again for all of the help!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal popping fuse Reply with quote

Good news.

The black/green (R) and the black/white (L) turn signal wires are powered by the ignition switch (Terminal 15...fuse#1). Then, current moves on to the hazard switch, and flasher.

When the ignition is switched off, the hazard switch receives current from the battery (Terminal 30...fuse #10).
But a short at the turn signal switch (as you seem to have experienced) would kill fuse #10 with the hazard switch on).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: