Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB performance magna spark dry coil specs?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

I am running the CB magna spark distributor and dry coil in my 2127 motor and has started developing a high RPM misfire. Misfire started about 5500 rpm and after installing a new set of plugs it improved slightly but now starts misfiring at 6000rpm.
I checked the coil and the primary side is reading 1.3-1.4 ohms and the secondary side is measuring 15.9K ohms.
Does anyone know if these are normal coil readings for the CB coil? The secondary side seams high to me.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Specs are 1.1 and 13.5, so yours are abit high yes.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Jeff, Thank you very much for the specs on the CB coil. I will try and call CB today and see if they know if the coil ohm measurements, I am getting are enough to cause the problem.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

Direct from CB-

Quote:
Features
Turns Ratio: 72:1
Inductance: 8 mh
Primary Resistance: 1.1 OHMs
Secondary Resistance: 13.5K OHMs
Maximum Voltage: 30,000 Volts
Peak Current: 45 mA
Spark Duration: 2.5 mS

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2009.htm

Sure beats a Bosch blue if you can drive the low primary resistance, wonder how they would do with a CDI? Think

Also, original OEM application is Mitsubishi PN: MD146982, OEM for 1990-1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Dodge Ram 50 with 2.4L 4G64 engine, interestingly enough.

Was thinking of picking one up to run off of a TFI module on my car.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Gap too big
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Gap too big

I have been using .030" gap forever and was never a problem before. But I understand what you are getting at. Thank you.

motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Direct from CB-

Quote:
Features
Turns Ratio: 72:1
Inductance: 8 mh
Primary Resistance: 1.1 OHMs
Secondary Resistance: 13.5K OHMs
Maximum Voltage: 30,000 Volts
Peak Current: 45 mA
Spark Duration: 2.5 mS

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2009.htm

Sure beats a Bosch blue if you can drive the low primary resistance, wonder how they would do with a CDI? Think

Also, original OEM application is Mitsubishi PN: MD146982, OEM for 1990-1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Dodge Ram 50 with 2.4L 4G64 engine, interestingly enough.

Was thinking of picking one up to run off of a TFI module on my car.

Great enough to know!

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

OEM application for the engine the coil came from had 8.5-1 static compression ratio, and called for a .028-.031 plug gap. I wouldn't run them any higher gap personally.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

OK problem fixed. I talked to Mark at CB and he said the coil specs I measured were still within a good range with no vibration (motor not running). So just to test I installed my known good 1.5 ohm Pertronix coil and test drove and all is good. revs smoothly without hiccups' all up to 6500rpm in all four gears.
So time for a new coil! Thank you all for your help and inputs.

I don't know if I can trust using another CB coil as it only had about 1600 miles on it and cam break-in time on the motor start up stand.

Marty

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Just a heads up here.....

Myself and a buddy both had issues with the spade terminal tabs coming loose and causing misfires. We both cinched down the nuts that were loose, and they have been great ever since.

I had 25k on mine with no issues other than the loose nuts.

So make sure to snug up the spade tab nuts when you install it.

Brian
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, Yep I checked that because I had to remove the tabs and put them on the Pertronix coil. The nuts were still tight on the CB coil.

Marty

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

FWIW, I got a CB Coil a few years ago as part of a complete Magnaspark system, using CBs Wires and NGK plugs from CB as well. It died in less time than an oil change- leaking black goo all over my intake system.

I got another one in the last few weeks for my new build and it was DOA. I got ahold of ANOTHER one from an acquaintance and that's what I'm running now.

So in summary, I'm on my 3rd CB Dry Pack coil in under 2000 miles. I assure you there are no electrical issues in my car to prompt this. Good performer and a very simple setup but carry a spare, for SURE.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Just a heads up here.....

Myself and a buddy both had issues with the spade terminal tabs coming loose and causing misfires. We both cinched down the nuts that were loose, and they have been great ever since.

I had 25k on mine with no issues other than the loose nuts.

So make sure to snug up the spade tab nuts when you install it.

Brian

Maybe some small nylock nuts and a wavy washer would be a good idea? I do that on my canister types with no issues.

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
Dauz wrote:
Gap too big

I have been using .030" gap forever and was never a problem before. But I understand what you are getting at. Thank you.

If you're convinced it's not your plug gap and you're missing at high rpm, then you should be chasing after your A/F ratio or clean your main jets (if carb). But humor me, close the gap to .28 and tell me what happens. You already said NEW plugs helped.

Or, try hotter plugs

Last edited by Dauz on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

I got a bad coil from CB on my Gen4 system, it was bad from the start. I wish I had those weeks of my life back trying to figure out what I did wrong. The really crappy part was when I got all the stuff I looked at the coil and thought I should just order a MSD or Accel to replace this cheap looking POS. I wish I had.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CB performance magna spark dry coil specs? Reply with quote

I had one of those coils (if it's the same) paired with my CB Digital. The system ran tip top. Of course with boost or high copression you have to gap your plugs closer cuz it's harder for the spark to jump.

One rat's head in my KFC and I'll never eat there again. Maybe.. .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: