Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Popcorn
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

^^ cool look fwd to seeing that thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Super excited to see pics of your early Westy edgood1

srfndoc wrote:
Did I miss anything?

What about the early water tank that was up to fabrik #850?

I tried looking for pics in the gallery and all I found was the version from fabrik 851 to 5399 (with the exception that there was some of the third version of water tank sprinkled in between 4350 to 5037)

For reference, the spout on the early tanks come out from the side of the tank instead of the top like the pic below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

That was definitely a 65 thing (early water tank with gas tank cap) but the features I mentioned were more around the very first part of 65. Even Fabrik-Nr. 655 with the early curtains I posted already had the later straight down jump seat in the front.

Of course Westfalia would use whatever they had on hand so there doesn't seem to ever be an exact cut off (like progressive refinements) when it comes to the Westfalia kit.

All of this stuff is for the Westy nerds (which I love).
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Thanks all, every time I think the definitive list of early SO42 features, I forget another detail.

So far the list seems to be

-Jump seat with slanted front (is this walk thru only?)
-Metal push buttons on handles
-Early/different curtain pattern (up to model 665)
-early style clamshell's with side cutout
-oddball water tank with equally oddball gas tank lid

Another oddball came to mind which is the positioning of the actual tag on the kit. If mem serves the early SO42's had the tag at the bottom of the closet whereas later SO42's had the tag moved to the base of the Z bed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Thanks all, every time I think the definitive list of early SO42 features, I forget another detail.

-Jump seat with slanted front (is this walk thru only?)
-Metal push buttons on handles
-Early/different curtain pattern (up to model 665)
-oddball water tank with equally oddball gas tank lid

Another oddball came to mind which is the positioning of the actual tag on the kit. If mem serves the early SO42's had the tag at the bottom of the closet whereas later SO42's had the tag moved to the base of the Z bed.

There was an early version of the bench jump seat that was slanted as well. Seen here in Fabrik Nr. 82:

This one still had the early clamshells too.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Jump seat with slanted front (is this walk thru only?)

I think mine is slanted for a bench seat model:

Quote:
Metal push buttons on handles

I think mine are wood or something similar to wood's consistency:

Quote:

yep:

no curtains Sad

and can't tell if this is an oddball water tank without taking it out:

Quote:

Mine is on the closet:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

velvetgreen wrote:

Mine is on the closet:

Sweet thanks for posting that pic edgood1

Todd sent me more photos of fabrik #82 posted earlier in this thread and the tag was on the bed bottom. However, the interior looks refurbished so I am not positive if that is the original location.

Does anyone have the tag on the closet that has a fabrik # higher than 82?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Your bus looks very original! Interesting that your bus doesn't have the metal push buttons, and neither does mine. I have no reason to believe that mine aren't original as they are all the same throughout the bus. If anything your buttons look like bakelite which mine might be as well. My bus is in storage so will have to take a closer look next time.

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Just looked at my cabinet buttons which are the same as yours. By my eyes I would classify the button as being made out of bakelite, or something very similar. Notice that the button has more of a brown colouring to it whereas the surrounding handles are black

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

It's great to see these details being explored. Earlier westy models have been nerded out on for a while now but the so42 is due some respect too!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Adding photos to show the difference between the early water tanks vs later water tanks (both with the gas tank size cap) placement.

Up to 850, the filler neck hole center was 58mm from the right side edge of the ice box. You can see in the photo below how close it lines up to the Whale pump.

The later/ second style filler neck hole center is 112mm from the right side edge of the ice box. It is further away from the Whale pump compared to the earlier style.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my early style water tank

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Cool thank you so much- am enjoying all the nerding out and details. I am still learning too..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Loving that early style water tank Very Happy

Fabrik #22 has its plate on the bed bottom. The owner has stated that he was missing the jump seat and ice box so he bought a later one, but there was no mention about the bed or closet not being original to the bus.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Loving that early style water tank Very Happy

Fabrik #22 has its plate on the bed bottom. The owner has stated that he was missing the jump seat and ice box so he bought a later one, but there was no mention about the bed or closet not being original to the bus.

No way! The next successive tag! That's incredible!
Can you provide any more info on that bus?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

I sure can. You can find more info on fabrik #22 here.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

Someone sent me a Spacebook thread where they are discussing Tourist Delivery New Zealand destination SO42s whos Fabrik numbers are not sequential with the start of SO42 production.

This Westy above was built on June 1, 1966 as a Tourist Delivery option with the final destination being New Zealand. We would assume that because of the production date it would have a Fabrik number around 6k, but instead it has a Fabrik number "01" with the year being "1966". Interesting enough another Tourist Delivery with a final destination being the New Zealand market was built on June 3, 1966; it has a Fabrik number "0003". Both Fabrik tags images are posted in the Spacebook thread.

For reference, this RHD SO42 from Australia below has a Fabrik number of 4677, so we know it has nothing to do with RHD models. Why would New Zealand get its own set of Fabrik numbers and Australia wouldn't?

Anyone know why New Zealand SO42 have their own set of Fabrik numbers that are different than all the other markets we have seen? The New Zealand SO42s are not CKD.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
This Westy above was built on June 1, 1966 as a Tourist Delivery option with the final destination being New Zealand. We would assume that because of the production date it would have a Fabrik number around 6k, but instead it has a Fabrik number "01" with the year being "1966". Interesting enough another Tourist Delivery with a final destination being the New Zealand market was built on June 3, 1966; it has a Fabrik number "0003". Both Fabrik tags images are posted in the Spacebook thread.

For reference, this RHD SO42 from Australia below has a Fabrik number of 4677, so we know it has nothing to do with RHD models. Why would New Zealand get its own set of Fabrik numbers and Australia wouldn't?

Anyone know why New Zealand SO42 have their own set of Fabrik numbers that are different than all the other markets we have seen? The New Zealand SO42s are not CKD.
Maybe Westy and Volkswagenwerk like to mix it up a bit so that we would have these things to try to figure out later down the road. Just look at M-code plates. They are consistent, but only by delivery destination. If a westy was getting delivered to Germany, it didn't get the main westy code, even if it was USA spec. If it was a super early flipseat, it didn't get an M-code plate at all.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia bed/seat Fabrik- Nr. tags Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Someone sent me a Spacebook thread where they are discussing Tourist Delivery New Zealand destination SO42s whos Fabrik numbers are not sequential with the start of SO42 production.

My guess is a local requirement specific to NZ that is unique to this CKD region. Not seen in other CKD regions like Australia/South Africa.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: