Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkobryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

i've gone through 4 different sets of tie rod ends and they are all too big. is there something i am missing here? did this year have weird parts inconsistent with newer versions of the eurovan? if i can't find the right tierod ends, can i replace the steering knuckle with one that fits the tie rod end? has anyone ever heard of this issue? would buying the Bentley manual help identify the exact part number for my year? i would be grateful for anyones advice or experience. -cheers
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are the numbers for early and late. I found them here which will also list aftermarket numbers

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/transporter/tr/1992-117/4/422-422040/#14
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

Bus Depot might have your part at a reasonable price: https://www.busdepot.com/sp054
dkobryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick replies guys. i am going too go too my mechanic tomorrow with these links and show him. wish me luck.
dkobryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

ok, here is where i am at. I went too the nearest VW dealer in st.catharines, ontario, canada. I explained the situation and she found these part numbers:

701_419_812_A (right hand tie-rod end) available
701_419_811_B (left hand tie-rod end) not available

this would seem like a step forward except these part numbers are identical too the last set that i purchased and didn't fit because the taper at the base of the tie rod bolt is too big. i feel like i have the right parts but the van doesn't have the right sized taper lock.

So here is my plan. i am going to measure the taper on the tie rod bolt and buy a tapered reamer to open up the hole in the adjoining part until i can fit the tie rod end securely into it.

not my first choice but it seems doable. if anyone has any thoughts on this i'm all ears...

thx in advance.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

Well that site list multiple aftermarket part numbers when you click arrows. I wouldn’t mess around with the spindle as there is no going back on that.

And early VIN part numbers would be
701_419_812_
701_419_811_A
dkobryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

i agree. ive abandoned the idea of using the reamer. i checked mcnmaster-carr and there really isn't a way too get a premade reamer with the exact taper i need.

your comment about early VIN part numbers is interesting. if your right about how the early part numbering was applied then this might account for the confusion.

i just looked at the invoice again and it reads:
701-419-811-B "tierod end" upon inspecting the actual tire rod end it had a large "R: forged into it.
i was then verbally told that the left hand end would be:
701-419-812-A but i cannot buy it from VW because it's discontinued and stock has sold out. although freely available on the aftermarket.

what i can tell you right now is that i have three tie rod ends that have the same taper minor diameter (.582inch). this means the taper is too big to fit into the female taper of the steering knuckle.

So, i am thinking, what if i swapped out the whole wheel bearing housing? If i replace the wheel bearing housing using part numbers from the same year it should fit my new tie rod ends, right?

(https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/transporter/tr/1992-117/4/407-407010/#15)

My concern is that the new wheel bearing housing will fit the tire rod end but not the rest of the wheel assembly. Out of the frying pan, into the fire as it were...

shy of this i would have to test all the aftermarket tie rod ends with calipers before i bought them. not possible unless i can cajole some friendly staff too doing it for me before they ship it...

and another option would be used parts, a bummer option for obvious
reasons...
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

The parts are out there. I found them on eBay and heritage sites. You can was probably built in 91 and most of the world would call it that. Like mine is a 93 cause that was the first year they were here but it was built in early 92. To have these vans it requires research. In Europe they are all over as work vehicles
dkobryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

I think your right. i did do some searches on a 1991 transporter with nominal luck but it seems like a very different vehicle. i am going to dig a little deeper on this. I removed the original right hand tie-rod end today and found the minor taper was 0.500" in diameter v.s my VW (dealer supplied) tie rod minor diameter was .580" in diameter. that 0.080" difference in diameter between them. the mechanic did say today that one set that he brought in had the right taper but the wrong forged and threaded part. I did a vin search and it still checks out as 1992 eurovan. i am wondering if this is a european vehicle given that volkswagen canada doesn't have a listing for my VIN at all.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 eurovan tie rod ends don't fit Reply with quote

I have gotten tie rod ends for my 99 and the taper was too small, it would never get tight enough. So somewhere along the line the size there changed.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: