Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare Type 4 Accessories
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Type 4 Accessories Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Lars S wrote:
...sorry no image Embarassed

Yes, the headlight washers were mandatory in Sweden on all cars from 1974.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top picture shows the two jet nozzle at the bumper.

The system also included a high pressure pump and a vessel, about 8 litres, to carry the water (pictured vessel from superbeetle -74).

The pump was activated when the windshield was sprayed AND the lights were on. However many of us disconnected the light washer pump since it was a huge drinker...

/Lars S

The black plastic water tank, serving both the electrically-pumped windscreen-washers & electrically-pumped headlamp-washers, which is substituted in place of the front right-hand black kickboard in the 1974~79 VW Type 2 cab, is also reputedly of 8 litres water capacity. I have yet to check the capacity of my black plastic water tank.

Rather than retaining the factory-standard electrical circuit, which operates the headlamp-washers, if the windscreen-washers are used when the headlamps are switched on, I shall probably modify the circuit to operate the headlamp-washer pump from a separate switch, so that its operation is independent of the windscreen-washers.

Did you reconnect the headlamp-washer pump for the regular Swedish roadworthiness inspection!?!

In Great Britain, the annual MOT road worthiness inspection includes the condition and functionality of the windscreen wipers and/or washers, which if not up to scratch would result in a test failure.

If a car is stopped by police, who discover that windscreen wipers and/or washers are inoperative for any reason (including an empty windscreen-washer reservoir), this would constitute a criminal offence, not merely a motoring offence! I recall reading about one motorist who was stopped by police for another reason, during which they also discovered his empty windscreen-washer reservoir, for which he was subsequently fined.

I suspect that Swedish roadworthiness inspectors, police & law would probably take a similar view.

https://korkortonline.se/en/theory/roadworthiness-...20rusting.

As a side note...the auxiliary washer systems can get crazy....my Mom and Dad have a 2019 Audi A-6 "S-line"...quite the loaded out luxury sled. They are constantly running out of washer fluid.

I just realized that it has "automated" headlight washers that spray when the car deems it necessary. It has a 6 liter washer fluid tank!!! Its a fluid guzzler!

Some of these also have automated camera lens washers. I think their car might. It has 6 cameras, five radar sensors, twelve ultrasonic sensors and a laser scanner.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Type 4 Accessories Reply with quote

Jesus H...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Type 4 Accessories Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
As a side note...the auxiliary washer systems can get crazy....my Mom and Dad have a 2019 Audi A-6 "S-line"...quite the loaded out luxury sled. They are constantly running out of washer fluid.

I just realized that it has "automated" headlight washers that spray when the car deems it necessary. It has a 6 liter washer fluid tank!!! Its a fluid guzzler!

Some of these also have automated camera lens washers. I think their car might. It has 6 cameras, five radar sensors, twelve ultrasonic sensors and a laser scanner.

Ray

I refuse to have a modern car, on the grounds that they are much too complex and sophisticated for their own good, plus being too expensive to maintain and run. When my father’s ex-demonstrator, 1986 Ford Sierra XR4x4 was stolen from the driveway in 2007, he replaced it with a second-hand, six-speed manual, 2004 SEAT Leon Cupra 20V Turbo (a VW Golf GTI with a different body, overdosed on steroids!).

After he died in 2011, I could have kept the SEAT, but the motor insurance & VED – Vehicle Excise Duty (i.e. road-use tax) together, would have cost nearly £1,100 per year, and brakes were virtually either fully-OFF or fully-ON with little if any graduation in between, so my mother arranged for it to be sold.

One modern innovation which would be useful, particularly in mist, fog or light-drizzle, is that of rain-sensing wipers, for which OEDES (since renamed Hydreon) in St. Pauls, Minnesota, in association with strategic manufacturing partner XENSO in Malaysia, marketed an after-market kit called the Raintracker® RT50, of which I have a complementary commercial sample (sent to me by the managing director, after I enquired about details for the magazine article I was compiling) that I intend to retro-fit to my 1973 VW “1600” Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan.

www.xenso.com.my/raintracker.php

Bay Window Bus > 1968~79 VW Type 2 window wiper & washer upgrades

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186468

A relatively vintage, low-technology accessory from which all vehicles (especially rear-engined, air-cooled VWs that are susceptible to “dead starter-motor syndrome”) would benefit, is the retro-fitment of a hand-cranked, engine starting handle facility, with which my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 was successfully equipped in 1989.

Forum Index > Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys > Starting-Handle for Engines with Carburettors or Fuel Injection

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773717

This is a relatively simple thing to do for a VW with one or more carburettors, but I have yet to find out whether it would be practical for my 1972 VW 412LE based, substitute 1911 cm³ displacement, modified hybrid VW Type 4 style air-cooled engine (96 mm bore NPR cylinder barrels & flat-crown pistons and “gas-flowed” VW 1800 Type 2 cylinder heads) with which I hope to use the associated Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection system.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Type 4 Accessories Reply with quote

I took my mom's Audi A6 into the dealer yesterday for its 3 year check up (its got about 18k miles on it), oil change, alignment etc.

It has 6 factory recalls pending. None of them have any noticeable symptoms. Two are information interface programming updates ( full touch screen car), two are wiring pigtail replacement for suspect connectivity issues, one is a fuel hose inside the fuel tank that is sometimes too long and can drag on the fuel level sensor, the other I do not know.

Last year after having to replace one of the freaking $600 ....255/35-21 tires....it went into a local high end tire chain for mount, balance and alignment.

The tire shop stated tat they cannot align it. It has active suspension and it must be plugged in with the proper software to go through its paces. If they physically turned a wrench on the suspension....without plugging it in in the maintenance menu....it would through codes and faults......damn.

It was $296 for alignment, rotate and balance yesterday. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Type 4 Accessories Reply with quote

Oh these new cars…I am really not excited about them anymore Rolling Eyes . Fond memories of seeing and hearing a living 911 for the first time. Then a few years later R&T magazine tested and compared the T, E, and the S and they were all pictured on the front cover. That was something to get excited about! Its only gonna get worse my friends.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: