Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spark plug keeps turning
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

I'm replacing my spark plugs. The first three came out easily and new ones went in easily. The 4th one was pretty stiff so I gave it some penetrating oil and let it soak, then after a little bit of wiggling back & fourth I was able to get it out. The new one screws in about 4mm and then just keeps turning without going in any further. What's going on?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Probably stripped head threads that are now in the old plug threads. Get a Time-Sert kits to install a solid insert.

Start using a quality never seize on the spark plugs from now on.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Probably stripped head threads that are now in the old plug threads. Get a Time-Sert kits to install a solid insert.

I would try a spark plug thread chaser tool first (inexpensive), before I even thought about installing a solid insert; I used mine on a neighbor's Toyota after he'd fussed for 2 hours trying to thread in one of his plugs.

Anyway, I do run a solid threaded insert on #2 on my 1835cc engine, and it's held and worked fine for over a decade. I didn't use Time-Sert - considered the best - because it needs special install tools. I just used a steel solid threaded insert with red Loctite on the insert's outer threads and never-seize on the spark plug threads.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

I use a drop of oil from my dipstick to lube the sparkplug threads.
Never had one get stuck, either out or back in.

Hint: If your installing a sparkplug and it feels stiff threading in.
STOP and try again, to align the threads, correctly.
Forcing the sparkplug into the head is, just asking for future trouble.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Purple Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Ugh, this is not good news. Please tell me I can tap in a steel threaded insert while the engine is in situ?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Purple Martin wrote:
Ugh, this is not good news. Please tell me I can tap in a steel threaded insert while the engine is in situ?

Yes, you can install a solid threaded insert with engine in place - I did.

But I would still try a thread chaser tool first - with engine in place.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...lsrc=aw.ds
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

I had a shop thread for an insert with the engine in place. He used a generous amount of really sticky goop to catch the shavings. Risky, but it worked. Eventually I had to replace the heads but it lasted several years.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

I used this kit on both 3 and 4 cylinders. Still going strong almost 2 years after the repair. I did have the engine out at that time.

https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-Helicoil-5334-14-Thread-Repair/dp/B0002SRF4O
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
I used this kit on both 3 and 4 cylinders. Still going strong almost 2 years after the repair. I did have the engine out at that time.

Will advise against the Heli-Coil solution. Dealt with way too many of those coming out with the male threads when taking apart again. Since one is supposed to take out plugs for cleaning, inspection, adjustment and if need be replacement every 6,000 miles at every other tune up, there is too much chance of failure that way.

Solid inserts have various ways to be locked into place.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

Will advise against the Heli-Coil solution. Dealt with way too many of those coming out with the male threads when taking apart again. Since one is supposed to take out plugs for cleaning, inspection, adjustment and if need be replacement every 6,000 miles at every other tune up, there is too much chance of failure that way.

Solid inserts have various ways to be locked into place.

Agreed, however if you look at what I posted, you will see that it is infact a solid insert. It is not the traditional spring- like Heli Coil.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Agreed, however if you look at what I posted, you will see that it is infact a solid insert. It is not the traditional spring- like Heli Coil.

Hard to tell from the one image, and both the title and web address have "Heli-Coil in them.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

Yep, that is the trademark of the company that makes it. Different product, same company trademark. The thing that I like about this over others like this (I have used it on a number of different vehicles) is that it comes with an anvil that expands the head and wedges the insert in the threaded hole. So you end up with threads, red loctite and the wedged head, all three, holding the insert in the hole.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

I've had a solid insert in #4 for 10+ years. No issues.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

I have both solid inserts and Heli-Coils in my engines for well over 10 years with no problems.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug keeps turning Reply with quote

First did you get the old plug out? And what do the threads looks like? Then if you can see what do the threads in the head look like? You can try running a chaser through the head. Use some oil to lube it and run the chaser. If you’re concerned about shavings then use a vacuum in the thread area and see if you can get any shavings out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: