Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2001 Euro TCM 😫
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trails14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: 2001 Euro TCM 😫 Reply with quote

Check engine light keeps coming on in cool foggy CA coastal weather but goes off in warm dry inland weather. Replaced neutral safety switch. Dealer diagnosed faulty TCM code 65535, after transmission guy said faulty ECU. Dealer didn’t find faulty ECU.

I’m sure you all know all about this but I don’t know anything. Part no longer made by VW. Out of stock at LKQ. Are these refurbished parts really $2 grand? Will I need to replace ECU too? Can dealer program refurbished TCM? I read a thread here where they couldn’t reprogram because they no longer have those programs. The van runs fine but as I said above the check engine light does come on. What if I keep driving it? What’s going to happen? Will I ruin the transmission?
Any and all honest help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Euro TCM 😫 Reply with quote

Trails14 wrote:
Check engine light keeps coming on in cool foggy CA coastal weather but goes off in warm dry inland weather. Replaced neutral safety switch. Dealer diagnosed faulty TCM code 65535, after transmission guy said faulty ECU. Dealer didn’t find faulty ECU.

I’m sure you all know all about this but I don’t know anything. Part no longer made by VW. Out of stock at LKQ. Are these refurbished parts really $2 grand? Will I need to replace ECU too? Can dealer program refurbished TCM? I read a thread here where they couldn’t reprogram because they no longer have those programs. The van runs fine but as I said above the check engine light does come on. What if I keep driving it? What’s going to happen? Will I ruin the transmission?
Any and all honest help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

First, year and model and engine size please. Wink

TCM can't be simply reprogrammed. You'll need a used one with the SAME part number IF yours is bad.

That code indicated a possible problem with moisture which correlates with the times you have the code present and CEL on. It's worth checking the TCU for moisture. It's located behind the carpet in the right most area of the drivers footwell, just below the fuse box. Pull back the carpet and have a look. If it's wet in there, that's the issue. TCM should be taken out and left in a bag of uncooked rice overnight to dry it out, then figure out why it got wet in the first place. The connector faces up so it may have gotten wet as well.

Of course, without further info, this is all just theory. Smile
Trails14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Euro TCM 😫 Reply with quote

Thank you! I’ll get out there to check that asap. I did put year and model in subject but didn’t put engine type. It’s Eurovan 2001 V6. I don’t think the mechanics have agreed with me that moisture had anything to do with this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: