Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MLB Fans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

True story, in the late 60's went to a ball game at Forbes Field to see the Pittsburgh Pirates, with my dad. Had first row seats, right behind 1st base. I had my glove, hoping to maybe get a foul ball. My dad told me, never take your eye off the ball. Pay attention. 1st inning, Ernie Banks was at bat and hit a screamer right at us. My dad caught it bare hands. Talk about a moment engraved in your head. Ernie had over 500 homers too. Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente were my favorites. Wille had a chicken restaurant. When ever he hit a homer, everyone in the restaurant got free chicken, hehe
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Surprised this hasn't been a topic here yet.

Link

Sorry, we had been glued to the tv so as to not miss alberts #700. The nlc title also doesn't hurt.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

we also enjoyed seeing tio albert get 700 at our house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
True story, in the late 60's went to a ball game at Forbes Field to see the Pittsburgh Pirates, with my dad. Had first row seats, right behind 1st base. I had my glove, hoping to maybe get a foul ball. My dad told me, never take your eye off the ball. Pay attention. 1st inning, Ernie Banks was at bat and hit a screamer right at us. My dad caught it bare hands. Talk about a moment engraved in your head. Ernie had over 500 homers too. Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente were my favorites. Wille had a chicken restaurant. When ever he hit a homer, everyone in the restaurant got free chicken, hehe

Chicken on the Hill !!! In the Hill District.

Nowadays they have safety nets at MLB fields, so many there are glued to their phones !!!

I've seen games at Forbes Field, Three Rivers, and PNC (great ballpark). I was born within a mile of Forbes Field, lived in PGH my first 14 years. Last time back was in 2013.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Yes, Chicken on the Hill with Will.

And This :The Greatest Homerun Ever: Bill Mazeroski 1960 Walkoff Homerun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Og0gUKfvc
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Went to a Cubs/Braves game in August 1973 at Wrigley Field. Hank Aaron was playing left field and booted the first fly ball hit to him. Most of the crowd booed. Even though I was rooting for the Cubs I couldn't understand how you could boo Hank Aaron when he already had 701 home runs and would soon be the all-time home run leader? Anyway, later Aaron hit what looked like a popup to short from our vantage point(we were in the left field bleachers). The ball went well over us and landed on Waveland. That's how much power the 39-year-old Aaron had. Everyone in the park was on their feet. The Braves won in a cake walk. Aaron is without question the greatest wrist hitter ever. Its also interesting to note that both Aaron and Clemente hit off of their front foot.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

My favorite all-star game was in 1971. Bench, Aaron, Jackson, Frank Robinson, Killebrew, and Clemente all homered. They are all Hall-of-Famers and combined to hit 3107 home runs.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
My favorite all-star game was in 1971. Bench, Aaron, Jackson, Frank Robinson, Killebrew, and Clemente all homered. They are all Hall-of-Famers and combined to hit 3107 home runs.

Clemente's Pirates team beat Frank Robinson's Orioles in the 7-game World Series that year. Clemente was series MVP and Blass pitched a gem in Game 7.

My 1971 World Series program is signed by Blass and Sanguillen.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

Clemente's Pirates team beat Frank Robinson's Orioles in the 7-game World Series that year. Clemente was series MVP and Blass pitched a gem in Game 7.

My 1971 World Series program is signed by Blass and Sanguillen.

The Pirates also outpitched the Orioles who had four 20-game winners that year, one of only 2 times this occurred in MLB history, the other being the 1920 White Sox.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Speaking of the Orioles. We have become proud fans, since moving to Maryland. It’s been a fun roller coaster ride. I should also point out, that it’s so different being in a state with their own sports teams. Lots of pride.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Houston Asterisks….that’s a great one. Full points awarded.

Wankers.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Wankers.

Until they turn in their rings and trophy, they will always be know as the Asterisks and the Cheaters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Wankers.

Until they turn in their rings and trophy, they will always be know as the Asterisks and the Cheaters.

They always get a warm welcome @ Yankee stadium.

Rather odd that Carlos Beltran now works for the YES Network... not sure why. If "George" was alive, he would be banned from anything related to the Yankees. Even the Mets fired him.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/04/04/carlos-beltran-a...andal-2017

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Wankers.

They always get a warm welcome @ Yankee stadium.

Rather odd that Carlos Beltran now works for the YES Network... not sure why. If "George" was alive, he would be banned from anything related to the Yankees. Even the Mets fired him.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/04/04/carlos-beltran-a...andal-2017

Hilarious, CB fits right in with those sign stealing, PED using, entitled ambassadors of fair play.

As part of the 2017 Apple Watch investigation, a former Yankees staffer and a Red Sox player who'd previously played for the Yankees revealed to MLB investigators the details of the Yankees' scheme. Their 2015 team won 87 games and lost in the AL wild card game - to the Astros, who made the first of seven playoff appearances over eight seasons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/04/...543414002/

The 2015-16 Yankees squad included two players – Carlos Beltran and Brian McCann – who'd go on to play for the 2017 Astros. Beltran, now a YES Network commentator, resigned as Mets manager in 2020 after it was revealed he was, among players, the ringleader in the Astros' 2017 scheme.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/yankees-minor-leagu...cing-drugs

Are players using PEDs in baseball still considered cheaters?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/05/yankees_tainted_by_drug_and_steroid_use.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Full disclosure. I’m a SF Giants fan. I also hate Barry Bonds as a baseball player. F’ing cheater.

I was rooting for Judge to get 61. Seems like a legit and good hearted player. I hope I don’t get burned like that cheating bike rider I rooted for.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Full disclosure. I’m a SF Giants fan. I also hate Barry Bonds as a baseball player. F’ing cheater.

I was rooting for Judge to get 61. Seems like a legit and good hearted player. I hope I don’t get burned like that cheating bike rider I rooted for.

That’s how that bike rider should go down in history. Nameless.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

...and yet Pete Rose in banned for life.

- Did he cheat? No.
- Did he use drugs? No.
- Did his behavior ever change the outcome of a game? No.

(throwing gasoline on the fire, I know!)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
...and yet Pete Rose in banned for life.

- Did he cheat? No.
- Did he use drugs? No.
- Did his behavior ever change the outcome of a game? No.

(throwing gasoline on the fire, I know!)

I agree, but Pete will get in the year he passes.

BTW... it seems to be OK now that MLB is making money on it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Well, the O’s aren’t going to be on the wrong side of another highlight reel. Judge didn’t get his record breaking home run off of them.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: MLB Fans Reply with quote

Nice to see the Mariners clinch their playoff spot. First time in 20 years I hear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: