Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Ignition Switch bypass post.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

I have confirmed that my ignition switch went belly up. It's likely the original and thus built like a tank. But even tanks must die....

I"ve been reading through the forums and I know I can buy a new "electrical part" and not have to replace the whole switch; however, I've also been reading that the new switches don't last nearly as long, terminals are smaller/thinner, can't hold the amperage as long, etc. etc.

I have a baja bug, my son (who wants to own this in the future) likes buttons, so I have a few.

Without sparking a debate, I want to bypass the ignition switch with a heavy duty OFF-(ON) momentary switch, and, to keep it a bit safer, run a relay.

How much amperage should the relay be able to handle?
I think I know what wire to pull, but I'm not sure (Red with black stripe??).

Anyone have any diagrams/pictures, etc? I found a previous post with all that but the pictures aren't there.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

Most starter pushbuttons from FLAPS should be able to engauge start with out need for relay...

If you are talking engaging the starter with a relay the standard BOSCH style 30 amp relay should be plenty and using the "hard start" method of wiring will work for you...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for rest of cars electrical system You can do the "off/run" situation with same style relay but maybe be sure to get 40 amp version of "generic" type BOSCH relay... Almost any low current/voltage toggle switch or key switch can operate the relay...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

My 64 has an off the shelf universal ignition switch that a past owner installed:

Back side:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V8t41GUNYYBhZbzV9

Front side:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pn6U8cFcy1gYLAet5
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

Thanks dudes!

After a good nights sleep, the Hard Start method was what I had when I woke up. I have a MASSIVE relay (200amp) that I could use back there and run the button/momentary switch from the bus bar I stalled to handle the dash lights and instruments. Those were a hot mess that I've been cleaning up.

I'm diggin that blade-fuse box. I've been thinking about putting something like that in. Beetles aren't known for a pretty wiring loom behind the speedo....
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

Some where in all my junk is a ignition switch that is like a head light switch that when you pull it out to the first stop that powers the ignition system and when you pull it out the the second position it spins the starter and when you let go of it it springs back to the first position. when you push it in all the way it shuts off the ignition stops the engine. Does any one still make one?

Eq
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

When my switch went out, the on/ignition part still worked. I still turn the key on, but added a push button for the starter.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

..........and as it turns out.... the spade connector from the starter switch came out and I just needed to plug it back in....

D'OH!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ignition Switch bypass post. Reply with quote

cptcrusty1 wrote:
..........and as it turns out.... the spade connector from the starter switch came out and I just needed to plug it back in....

D'OH!!!

If it fits loose or come off easily just use pliers to crimp it a bit to increase tension on connection...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: