Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car stalling inadvertently while driving
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70_clementine_vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

My 70 vert has been stalling the past few days. It doesn't want to start on occasion, But after about three tries I rev it up and she comes alive. Felt initially like fuel starvation but it happens infrequently. Checked the 'fire hazard' fuel filter in the engine compartment. Seems fine. In the past I have kept my 30/31 pict carburetor tuned up. It could be something there.

However, the way it suddenly stops, (to which I roll off the road and restart) it almost feels like it is an electrical problem. Possibly the coil, generator or plugs. would a bad coil give out like that or if it goes bad would it completely not start?

I have been using it as a daily driver for over 5 years and it has been GREAT. Usually I can quickly find the problem and adjust what needs to be adjusted but I wanted to see if anyone has some insight.

Thanks!
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Howdy ..

I scrape ALL major grounds twice a year.

Verify 12 volts at coil (careful to not leave ignition on very long).
I disconnect wire & clip it out of the way in a safe manner, then test.

Almost sounds like an ignition switch, condenser, or maybe fuel pump.

"Looks good" is not an accurate diagnosis.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
70_clementine_vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Howdy ..

jinx

I did replace the ignition switch about 6 months ago. The original tumblers were flat wore out and no key would work. I have suspected that could be the problem.

I will check the voltage at the coil. It has had electronic ignition for the past several years, no condenser.

Thanks - At work now but will report later
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

70_clementine_vert wrote:
jinx758 wrote:
Howdy ..

jinx

I did replace the ignition switch about 6 months ago. The original tumblers were flat wore out and no key would work. I have suspected that could be the problem.

Jinx means the ELECTRICAL PART of the ignition switch, not the tumbler part.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Howdy ..

jinx

I will check the voltage at the coil. It has had electronic ignition for the past several years, no condenser.

Thanks - At work now but will report later

If it has electronic ignition and still starts back up after losing power, my guess would also lean toward the ignition switch. A fried electronic ignition module would not allow the car to start back up at all.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Run a jumper wire from the battery pos. to coil pos and start the car with the key and see if the problem goes away= bad ign. switch (electrical part). Remove jumper to stop the motor.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Anyone for a bad coil? I've had blue coils and Craptronix Flame Thrower coils go bad. I'd be cruising all happy on the highway or elsewhere and suddenly the car would just die, not sputtering like fuel starvation, just it would turn off, alt and oil light would come on. Roll to the side of the road, wait a couple of minutes, it would start back up.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

However, the way it suddenly stops, (to which I roll off the road and restart) it almost feels like it is an electrical problem. Possibly the coil, generator or plugs. would a bad coil give out like that or if it goes bad would it completely not start?

Sudden engine stop is almost always electrical. Fuel problems end with the engine sputtering as it starts to starve for fuel.

Next time it dies, roll off to the side of the road (being safe) and leave the key in the ON/RUN position. Walk around to the engine with your volt meter and test the voltage at the #15 terminal of the ignition coil. You want to see at least 12.0v if you are running electronic points. Below 11.0v your electronic points may stop operating.

Unlikely your spark plugs as you can actually run on just 2 cylinders so 3 or more plugs will need to fail.

Generator failure means you are running off the battery only. As long as your battery can still output 12.0v (even 11.0v+) it should still run the engine just fine. Test the voltage at the battery posts. Fully charged with everything OFF you should get a reading of 12.6v when it is fully charged.

The ignition coil can start to fail when they old. They can run fine until they get hot then they start to fail... until they cool down once more. Feel the temp of your coil when the engine dies. Is it very hot? They get very warm but should not be too hot to touch.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
70_clementine_vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Love this community and the help and learning that can happen here. So I took an old blue Bosch coil, an extra fuel pump and some wire with alligator clips to where I left my car to figure this out. The first thing I did was the easiest to try. Jump a wire from the coil positive to the battery positive like Starbucket said. I knew that the positive post on the generator went to the positive on the battery so I clipped in there. As soon as I turned the key it fired right up and like you said, I turned the ignition off and the car kept running. I was going to drive it home with the key out when I realized I would not be able to turn the steering wheel as it would lock. Genius I know. Put the key in and turned it one click and drove my car home.

Starbucket wrote:
Run a jumper wire from the battery pos. to coil pos and start the car with the key and see if the problem goes away= bad ign. switch (electrical part). Remove the jumper to stop the motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, I need to order another ignition switch. I did replace that some time ago before I replaced the tumbler with new keys. I may just check the wiring from the switch first.

Thank you all. It feels good to trouble shoot the car and with some help be able to fix it myself. I love this little car and simplicity of the way it works. Super fun to drive too.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Those terminals on the coil are junk. Get the factory style ones with the dual action crimper for connections between each wire and terminal that are gas tight. Gas tight as in oxygen can not get in there and cause corrosion. Corrosion causes voltage drops....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338938

If you will not get the proper crimper, then only solder and heat shrink terminals on.

Ages ago went out to a VW meet and talked to a fellow bus owner who was having intermittent engine cutting out problem. Looked him engine over and saw those junk terminals were on the coil. Reached up and lightly tugged on the power wire, and it fell out with ease. The bus owner was absolutely open mouthed shocked with the result.

If you have to run a fuel filter before the fuel pump, put it under the fuel tank. Fuel pumps do not do well with pulling up thru a filter. Under the fuel tank will at least use gravity to move the fuel thru the filter or if you would rather filter between the pump and carb. Then get the stock metal fuel line back in there.

Get hose clamps on both ends of the fresh air paper tubes going from the fan shroud to the heating system under the rear tin. If one of those paper hoses pops off it can fry a head.

Do post more images of the engine. Then all of us here can point out any more problems.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Looks like you are also missing the lower rear cylinder tins. Those are required to fully cool those rear cylinders properly, resulting in warped cylinder and loss of compression. Earlier version in first image of this tin shown below:

Do snap the spark plug cables into the clips that are in the rear of the fan shroud. Spark plug cables do not do well chaffing against sharp edges, or laying over the hot preheat pipes of the intake where the electrical insulation to melt thru and end up all too soon shorting out.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Vacuum line between the distributor and carb is suspect. Stock line was metal and had an uphill hump in it to prevent fuel from the carb from making it to the vacuum can and ruining the rubber diaphragm inside. See the LH image in this page from the owners manual of how the metal line should look:

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Might as well clock the generator properly for better cooling. See Eric and Barb VW manual picture.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Good idea to have the air cleaner on in case it farts fuel vapor out the top with that jumper cable right there.
70_clementine_vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Those terminals on the coil are junk. Get the factory style ones with the dual action crimper for connections between each wire and terminal that are gas tight. Gas tight as in oxygen can not get in there and cause corrosion. Corrosion causes voltage drops....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338938

If you will not get the proper crimper, then only solder and heat shrink terminals on.

Ages ago went out to a VW meet and talked to a fellow bus owner who was having intermittent engine cutting out problem. Looked him engine over and saw those junk terminals were on the coil. Reached up and lightly tugged on the power wire, and it fell out with ease. The bus owner was absolutely open mouthed shocked with the result.

If you have to run a fuel filter before the fuel pump, put it under the fuel tank. Fuel pumps do not do well with pulling up thru a filter. Under the fuel tank will at least use gravity to move the fuel thru the filter or if you would rather filter between the pump and carb. Then get the stock metal fuel line back in there.

Get hose clamps on both ends of the fresh air paper tubes going from the fan shroud to the heating system under the rear tin. If one of those paper hoses pops off it can fry a head.

Do post more images of the engine. Then all of us here can point out any more problems.

I will start to make some of these changes and the others you all have mentioned. I don't think the plug wire clips are on the fan shroud. The connectors on the coil are from a kit I bought to use on my airstream trailer. I'll get some better ones. I had the air cleaner off cause I was working on the motor. It is the original oil bath one. It is bulky and messy. Don't really like it.

Anyway, I want to keep the motor running for years to come. Bought this car in West Seattle in 1999. Made a lot of changes back to original and upgrades to disk brakes all the way around. Great car. But it is still 52 years old.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

I will start to make some of these changes and the others you all have mentioned. I don't think the plug wire clips are on the fan shroud. The connectors on the coil are from a kit I bought to use on my airstream trailer. I'll get some better ones. I had the air cleaner off cause I was working on the motor. It is the original oil bath one. It is bulky and messy. Don't really like it. .

Without those spark plug clips snapped into the fan shroud those resulting holes mean you are loosing cooling air.

Yes the oil bath air cleaner is bulky, but works better than any cheap after market paper element air cleaner.

Just take it one step at a time to make a better beetle!
70_clementine_vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Well, I replaced the ignition switch. That did not fix the problem. The car still will not start until I jumper the positive side of the coil to the battery. Actually to the generator positive post. Picture:

I also took the generator out and rotated it as was suggested above. The bottom two 10mm bolts on the tin attached to the fan shroud were a bugger but I got it done.

I also did put the spark plug wires in the clips. They were there on the fan shroud.

Took some pictures of the regulator and the electronic ignition. I put in my old coil too. I need to fix the rats nest of wires though. Any other thoughts? I am wondering if it has something to do with the wiring to the regulator.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Not a good idea to connect to the generator like that!! Only the regulator should be wired to that!

Either use the license plate light or one of the taillight conections on the LH side of the engine compartment that the sound deadener has been ripped down revealing the wiring connections there.

You need to check for voltage getting to the ignition switch and out of it. Then inspect the positive power wire to the coil at both ends of the wiring harness.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

Okay. Enough! I dislike all of this opinion with no factual reference for any of this hypothesized conjecture! Stop!

Eric&Barb wrote:

Yes, corrosion or electrolysis does impede the flow of electrons. I will give you that one! But those connectors are only junk IF they are not crimped correctly, or the wire does not support the flow of amperage that this device requires. I have seen coil run with just twisted wire run through the hole on the coil’s male connector!

Yes, you may need a connector IF it is proven to be faulty, but do not go creating new problems before figuring out what is wrong!

Eric&Barb wrote:

This is bad information. Shame on you for propagating this misinformation. In the early 80, when electronic fuel management systems started being integrated into engines, GM and several other car manufacturers did some research. They found that soldered wire terminal, FAIL! They shear off where the wire meets the terminal crimp. They went on to inform their techs to NOT use solder at the terminals. Just use crimp connections, utilizing the correct type of crimp and barrel. Yes, the AMP style double barrel crimp is superior to the single barrel crimp. It creates, when properly created, an air tight crimp, that will outlast the car. Adding solder to these crimps will cause a weak point, where the solder ends. DO NOT SOLDER ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS, of this type, when utilized for pre 1995 cars!

Eric & Barb, stop typing this out. It is really bad information!

Eric&Barb wrote:

That was a bad crimp. It was not the terminals fault. It was the mechanic that did shitty work. Blame the correct item in the situation. I bet they properly even used too large of a barrel for the 14 gauge wire!

Eric&Barb wrote:

Conjecture, AGAIN! Stop! I get YOUR theory! It may be right, but it might be wrong. Someone would need to test this theory, BEFORE using this theory for instructing people to perform in a set direction. GM used a filter at their quadrajet carbs. It was part of the inlet line from the fuel pump, right at the carb! Ford did a similar set up. I would keep listing them, but why. You are just speculating!

The steel line has proven to be an issue when sitting incorrectly on the exhaust heat riser. The better approach, proven by thousands of shops around the world, is to use a quality rubber hose rated for ethanol gasoline, with hose clamps.

Eric&Barb wrote:

It could fry a head. That has been proven by VW in one of their TSBs in the 80s.

You have to stop. Please start with proven information. FWIW You did make some good points but killed it with your misguided direction. Maybe tone it down a bit.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling inadvertently while driving Reply with quote

A small percentage of Bugs, back in the day, burned their ignition coil feeder wire. Circuit 15 from the ignition switch. It is a black 14 gauge wire. Once they fry, the voltage carrying capability of the wire diminishes greatly. You may have one of these cars. Any damage noted to the wire harness at the back of the ignition switch, all the way back to under the rear seat at the quarter panel? Like electrical tape wrapped up loom?

Just a thought. Or you could utilize a voltage drop test to prove the integrity of that wire.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: