Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

They only know how to tear down and destroy.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, who were close friends, were on opposite sides of this debate. Ford, early in his career, was an engineer under Edison and was working on a gasoline powered car. Edison pursued the idea of an electric car in 1899. It took him 10 years to perfect an alkaline battery and he then built 3 electric cars in 1912. By this time Ford was mass producing the model T. Edison continued working on his electric vehicle until his death in 1931. It is one of over 1000 patents that he had. I wonder how far he would have gotten had he lived a few more years.

None of Edison’s patents were
“His”

He lived off the intellect of others.

I've heard your type of comment before. Yes, Edison did not personally invent everything he had a patent for, but he supervised those who ultimately proved his theories correct. Don't discredit possibly the greatest creative mind ever.

Codswallop, lots of people have many more patents.

How’s Model City, Ny doing nowadays ?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I wonder how far he would have gotten had he lived a few more years.

Oh, about 30 miles! Laughing Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

My point, ubercrap, is simply this: Governments like to tell us they are "giving" us this or that but in reality governments are ALWAYS takers not givers. Oh they "give us the privilege to drive" alright but they had to take it from our forefathers first! Now they are the heroes giving it back to us?

Yes I get that as population density increases and traffic gets heavier there has to be control. Absolutely! Just do as needed but lay off on the big hero act!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
My point, ubercrap, is simply this: Governments like to tell us they are "giving" us this or that but in reality governments are ALWAYS takers not givers. Oh they "give us the privilege to drive" alright but they had to take it from our forefathers first! Now they are the heroes giving it back to us?

Yes I get that as population density increases and traffic gets heavier there has to be control. Absolutely! Just do as needed but lay off on the big hero act!

I suppose if the government weren't "giving" you the roads and highways to travel on you would have to negotiate with every private landowner on your route for passage through their property.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
I wonder how far he would have gotten had he lived a few more years.

Oh, about 30 miles! Laughing Laughing

So not that much different then now!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
oprn wrote:

I suppose if the government weren't "giving" you the roads and highways to travel on you would have to negotiate with every private landowner on your route for passage through their property.

I would just do that on this internet thingy that wouldn’t exist without American exceptionalism like Tim Berners-Lee

Good thing the capitalists electrified my rural farm in the 1930s too.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

After public money is used to build out the infrastructure then turn the ownership over to your buddy’s to extract all the profits. Who knew Russia and China are better at this freedom thing than us.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
oprn wrote:

Like toll roads and toll bridges. Only the toll would be for sundry items or assorted preserves, meats, and vegetables. Perhaps some minerals. People would pay you tolls crossing your land too. Like a commune. Or wait! Maybe more like free enterprise Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
oprn wrote:

Like toll roads and toll bridges. Only the toll would be for sundry items or assorted preserves, meats, and vegetables. Perhaps some minerals. People would pay you tolls crossing your land too. Like a commune. Or wait! Maybe more like free enterprise Wink

What you describe is not free enterprise, it is a monarchy. I, for one, am not interested in going backwards.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I would just do that on this internet thingy that wouldn’t exist without American exceptionalism like Tim Berners-Lee

would that be the ENGLISH computer scientist best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web by any chance?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
oprn wrote:

What you describe is not free enterprise, it is a monarchy. I, for one, am not interested in going backwards.

In your quote to oprn you said i“Government didn’t give us the roads to travel on. We would have to negotiate with private land owners to cross their land.” (Paraphrasing)
With no government involvement. The land owner can collect whatever they want to allow passage across their property. Maybe I don’t know what free enterprise is Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
oprn wrote:

In your quote to oprn you said i“Government didn’t give us the roads to travel on. We would have to negotiate with private land owners to cross their land.” (Paraphrasing)
With no government involvement. The land owner can collect whatever they want to allow passage across their property. Maybe I don’t know what free enterprise is Think

You certainly don't know history. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I thought the idea today is to alter history or to eliminate it altogether!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Abscate wrote:

would that be the ENGLISH computer scientist best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web by any chance?

Tim is as American as 3.14159…..
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Meanwhile, gas has gone up almost $2.00/gallon here in SoCal in the last couple weeks...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

I don't know about your country but here the government did not "give" us roads! The Canadian working public paid for them... and we also paid the private land owners for the land and access to it through our taxes. Contrary to what the government has you believing there is no free lunch!

I haven't seen our increase yet but we are assured that a gas tax increase across the board is coming.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The government is just an instrument of the collective will of civilization. You hate civilization? The car is a product of human civilization, therefore civilization has the right to regulate to its needs. The freedom of movement only applies to those with the absolute fewest externalities as is natural to humans, such as under their own power or something very close, such as under power of another living being as has been the practice since prehistoric times. Humans and human civilization didn't invent walking or horses or somesuch- they are natural things that exist. This protection is one against the tyranny of the majority, not a tool to enforce it! The government should be protecting this above all other freedoms of movement. I believe in this, apparently most others don't. People keep bringing up that x,y,z is too far away for anything but a car in their daily lives, therefore, they MUST be able to drive. No, the car enabled these things (probably zoned that way!) to be too far away to be practical in any other way, not the other way around! Or that it's too dangerous even if it's close to do anything but drive, even if they could or wanted to. They are SO close to getting it! Your rights are being violated in these cases. Hell, it's unethical as well, because you have to endanger yourself if you have an ethical objection to not potentially killing somebody accidently with a motor vehicle (which happens commonly in mass numbers, as we all know).

Anyway, for example, could I build my own 500mph flying car that spews cyanide and arsenic as exhaust, emits 130db of sound and fly it 1ft over your house, or even property line and scream freedom movement? No, that is stupid.
FPGT72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Being new I spent a bit of time reading this entire year long thread covering just about everything. It has been funny.

I will just say, yea we'll see....I don't think so.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

FPGT72 wrote:
Being new I spent a bit of time reading this entire year long thread covering just about everything. It has been funny.

I will just say, yea we'll see....I don't think so.

Some of it is funny. Some of it is sad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 233

Jump to: