Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Shimming
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Weakened heater channels and the use of the original jack can distort the body alignment when the car is lifting up. If the heater channels are compromised at all then the body can sag over the jack mounting.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Ok, issue fixed. My door was sagging due to missing hinge screws. Gaps are back to perfect!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Gaps maybe ok but your door is still too low. If the gaps are even in the vertical plane the door needs to go up.

If you can’t get the door up then your heater channels have probably been welded in incorrectly.

Note the door trim holes and door “waist” is not correct.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Hi, I should have painted a more vivid picture.

All the photos I posted are as it sits.

The last photo, is the corrected gap when I pushed up with my hand.

For example, if I were to take a picture from further away while pushing with my hand, the trim holes was also line up as they do.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Haha! You need arms like Inspector Gadget to get the right photo then.

Glad you sorted it out! Nothing more frustrating than to have doors that look out of shape.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Lots of advice to wait until the body is back on the pan to set adjustments. I’m getting ready to do a body off. Passenger door gaps are off. Passenger floor pan is toast. Lower passenger hinge is slightly bent . So no sense messing with door gaps now. Do I reinforce the body now in preparation for taking it off even though gaps are wrong? It’s a 61 ragtop. Or just take it off and play with adjustments when new pan is in place? Thanks for any ideas.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Well, seeing how I started this thread 9 years ago, it's safe to say my doors are all set now. If I was going to start what you're proposing, I'd jack the door until the trim line lined up, and use wedges to get the gaps as close to good as you can. Then from the inside, I'd weld a few pieces of bar stock from the "A" pillar to the "B" pillar, and then to a few spots on the door. So now the door is basically part of the body. Everything else you do from that point, will not change that orientation of the door to the opening. When your all done with the repairs, and you put the body back on, once you remove the bar stock, you should be pretty close.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Door Shimming Reply with quote

Thanks Beetlenut. Sounds like a plan. That’s what I’ll try.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: