Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace original steel brake lines or not?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

I have a 70 bus from california, clean and dry. Was driver when bought but had been sitting for couple years. A couple wheel cylinders were froze and couple leaking. I am doing all new brakes, shoes, wheel cylinders, rubber hoses and master cylinder.

My steel lines look healthy from the outside, again this is a california bus. But I was wondering if they often get rust on the inside and is it common place to replace all the steel lines as well or should I just do a good flush and leave them intact. There is a lot of lines, connectors and work involved replacing all the lines and if they should be fine I would rather leave them be.

Any input appreciated.
T
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

it depends on the condition of the lines. My last resto I had to replace because the lines were really rusty on the outside, and there was a pinhole. if you can run fluid through it, and not have any crud come out, they could be just fine.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

IMO leave them unless they are rotten. What you describe isn't rotten. Possibly the ones inside the front drums need doing, or the ones attached to the rear wheel cylinders, since they might have been abused over 50+ years. Some of them are difficult to make accurately, for example the ones on the rear torsion arms. Rubber flex lines should probably be done, metal lines can get damaged when taking those apart, especially the ones near the transaxle.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

Yes they are nice on outside, no rust or pin holes. The bus is all nice original paint underneath other then the factory undercoating that is flaking off in huge chunks (and reveals like new orig paint) But steel brake lines on outside are fine. I was just curious about insides and if corrosion is usually a problem on insides. The system has been sealed up and usable never open to the elements. I was only replacing because stuff due to some weeping and frozen cylinders up front and the rubber lines were the originals still.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
Yes they are nice on outside, no rust or pin holes. The bus is all nice original paint underneath other then the factory undercoating that is flaking off in huge chunks (and reveals like new orig paint) But steel brake lines on outside are fine. I was just curious about insides and if corrosion is usually a problem on insides. The system has been sealed up and usable never open to the elements. I was only replacing because stuff due to some weeping and frozen cylinders up front and the rubber lines were the originals still.

Sounds like a fabulous bus. You're a lucky man to have this in the midwest.

I agree with the others, flush them attach the rubber hoses and check for leaks. The rubber hoses OFTEN fail internally without any evidence of failure on the outside. I've never seen the steel brakelines do the same.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

Be sure to use a flare wrench on the steel lines when disconnecting them from the rubber hoses. Don't try a regular open end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Be sure to use a flare wrench on the steel lines when disconnecting them from the rubber hoses. Don't try a regular open end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
x2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

…and thirty seconds of propane heat. Watch the rubber carefully
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
never had to use it but then my cars aren't EV Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Six kids later I know little about rubber, either

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace original steel brake lines or not? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Six kids later I know little about rubber, either

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In my lifetime I have personally known 5 generations of my family. 6 children per generation to the 5th power is 7,776 people. If it the lack of knowledge of rubber runs in your family no wonder the freeways are so damned crowded. By the time we are gone, 6 to the 6th power is 46,656 Abscate family look-a-likes. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: