Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Hey Eurotec,

I like the new profile pic!

You have a uncanny resemblance to one of my favorite YouTube DIY'ers Dino Smile

https://www.youtube.com/c/HackaweekTV/about

Maybe you can start your own channel to help us work on our vans??
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:
Hey Eurotec,

I like the new profile pic!

You have a uncanny resemblance to one of my favorite YouTube DIY'ers Dino Smile

https://www.youtube.com/c/HackaweekTV/about

Maybe you can start your own channel to help us work on our vans??

Not sure if you are joking but yeah, that would be me. Been at it for over 11 years now. Smile
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

That is so totally awesome! I found your series about the Honda Saber cafe racer back when I was building my own. Love all the stuff you do.

Great to have you as part of the Eurovan community. Wish you were still in closer in Cali though!
Anaxemines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

EuroTEc - First off I want to say thank you for your painstaking report of your diagnostic. The timing for me was ideal, as literally yesterday I was on my way to the Canadian border (live in Alaska) to drive down to Seattle, when after 200 miles in we started having the same symptoms you experienced, stalling when hot, hot day, no codes thrown, etc. Limped home, getting about 25 miles closer after each half-hour cool down. Long trip home!

I'm only just starting to diagnose, but your similar experience with your fuel pump makes me suspect mine.

I'm looking at a VDR fuel pump from FCPEuro to replace. Any advice on removing the union nut with the hammer/screw-driver technique? Also, did you replace the fuel pump seal?

Thanks for your thoughts.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Anaxemines wrote:
EuroTEc - First off I want to say thank you for your painstaking report of your diagnostic. The timing for me was ideal, as literally yesterday I was on my way to the Canadian border (live in Alaska) to drive down to Seattle, when after 200 miles in we started having the same symptoms you experienced, stalling when hot, hot day, no codes thrown, etc. Limped home, getting about 25 miles closer after each half-hour cool down. Long trip home!

I'm only just starting to diagnose, but your similar experience with your fuel pump makes me suspect mine.

I'm looking at a VDR fuel pump from FCPEuro to replace. Any advice on removing the union nut with the hammer/screw-driver technique? Also, did you replace the fuel pump seal?

If you mean VDO, that's a good OE brand, and among the best in the business for quality. AutohausAZ also carries them. I installed one last year, and it was identical to the one that came out, and installed easily, ran quietly, and fixed the problem I was having.
Anaxemines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Ooops, yep, VDO, not VDR. Thanks for the feedback on their quality.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Anaxemines wrote:

I did not replace the seal as it was OK. I've used the hammer & screwdriver technique with good success many times. A large wide blade screwdriver is preferred. Mark where it is before you start. Don't over tighten it. VDO is the way to go.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I had just replaced the fuel pump cause it was making noise with a Pierburg pump form Europarts-SD. Next long trip it stalled. Mechanic there could not find anything wrong. Took it to my local mechanic and he replaced the Crank Speed Sensor...that didn't fix it! I replaced the ignition switch...that didn't fix it!
Finally I drove around town for a few yours until the stalling started happening and took it to my local mechanic so he drive it and witness the stalling. He suspected fuel pump. So we replaced the Pierburg pump with a VDO fuel pump. So far no more stalling!!! Very Happy
Who expects that a new fuel pump would be faulty? Confused
MidnightBeggar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Is this the (VDO) pump that is being referred to?
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/15554826-E22041056Z?...gn=feed_VW

There's also this VDO pump on a different site. More expensive:
https://www.partsgeek.com/z9zv7d1-volkswagen-eurovan-fuel-pump.html

Just curious and want to be able to replicate the successes here.

Thanks
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

MidnightBeggar wrote:

Thanks

Second link is the proper VDO pump. No, they're not cheap but it's well worth the extra cost.
MidnightBeggar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan stalling on highway in heat. Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm glad I clarified with you. Appreciate all the troubleshooting work you did.

EuroTec wrote:
MidnightBeggar wrote:

Thanks

Second link is the proper VDO pump. No, they're not cheap but it's well worth the extra cost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: